Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone go to the Q&A with him last week???  @Joel from the DCFC podcast said that PC has been sending Will Hughes out to rivals' games with the scouting team, so he still feels involved.  That's genius.  I know most long term injured players will travel with their teams still but I can't think other teams sending our their players to scout the opposition.  Very good idea, from a very good manager...

32 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Did anyone go to the Q&A with him last week???  @Joel from the DCFC podcast said that PC has been sending Will Hughes out to rivals' games with the scouting team, so he still feels involved.  That's genius.  I know most long term injured players will travel with their teams still but I can't think other teams sending our their players to scout the opposition.  Very good idea, from a very good manager...

Yeah I heard about that. If I remember correctly PC said the reason he sent him to scout is due to Hughes having a very good footballing brain (which you can see in the way he plays). Next Derby manager in 20 years after Clement has won his 8th Champions League with us? :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Idiakez said:

Yeah I heard about that. If I remember correctly PC said the reason he sent him to scout is due to Hughes having a very good footballing brain (which you can see in the way he plays). Next Derby manager in 20 years after Clement has won his 8th Champions League with us? :ph34r:

As player manager :lol:

I'm up to page 12 on this thread now, and one thing strikes me...

The number of people who were regular posters in this thread up until the end of August, but whose posts have become less and less frequent since then.

20 minutes ago, eddie said:

I'm up to page 12 on this thread now, and one thing strikes me...

The number of people who were regular posters in this thread up until the end of August, but whose posts have become less and less frequent since then.

Yeah but I just don't the time to post now :ph34r:

People need to stop concluding that Paul Clement will definitely be a great manager, based on the start he has had. If we miss out on promotion this season, which is perfectly plausible, the conclusion will be that he wasn't good enough.  Having said that, i'm very encouraged with what i have seen so far....but there is a long way to go.  Think of how highly rated he will be if he gets us promoted in his first season in management.

I was very sceptical about Paul after 5 games or so. I'm not now, sorry Paul. He is clearly developing and learning quickly about how to get success at this level in England. I'm sure the astute appointment of Kevin Phillips is a big help too. Between them they are looking a really good blend. The other thing is I expect Paul to be able to make the transition to Premier league better than most

I'm not saying he's the next Fergie or Sir Brian but there's a fair few assistant managers who've stepped up to the big job and come up very short.  Sammy Lee & Rene Mulensteen to name a couple.  Even for an assistant manager of some elite clubs it wasn't a given he'd be able to make the step up...

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm not saying he's the next Fergie or Sir Brian but there's a fair few assistant managers who've stepped up to the big job and come up very short.  Sammy Lee & Rene Mulensteen to name a couple.  Even for an assistant manager of some elite clubs it wasn't a given he'd be able to make the step up...

Good Point

Brian Kidd ?

John Carver ?

Steve Maclaren ?

Dean Saunders ?

One thing I like about Clement is never in a post match interview has he blamed the pitch, a referee, injuries...

Could have easily said after the Forest game "it was a local derby, anything happen(s).." but instead stuck with the not good enough line.

Never used Johnsons suspension as an excuse and instead praised the depth of the squad.

There's something about him which I really like as a person. The way he presents himself. No arrogance, no embarrassment. I like the fact he didn't have a footballing career behind him. He had to work bloody hard to get to the position he's in now, which is a great omen for the sort of work he's going to put in now he's here. In contrast you get many professional footballers who never make it as a manager because they've only got the job based on their natural ability, and of course hard work as a player.

When you read things like what ramsbottom posted above, it illustrates a sense of class about him. Behind the scenes stuff, just small little unnoticed things can be strokes of genius. Watching us play, although maybe not as gung-ho or aesthetically pleasing as McClaren's football, you do have a better feeling. More professional, more organised. At 2-0 after 30 odd minutes on Friday night I was quite confident we would end the game with three points. In the recent past I'd be biting my nails up til 30 seconds before the end with a 2-goal lead. I can't possibly envisage a repeat of the Birmingham at home situation occur under Clement.

Really willing him to do well. Under no illusion that if we are moderately successful that he would be headhunted by bigger clubs. Less than a year ago he was linked as an outsider to take over from Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. But wouldn't it be great to have a long-serving, successful manager who we could consider one of our own? 

Finally read the whole thing.

Some opinions about Paul Clement might have changed a little, but it's so difficult to tell - unless lack of criticism is indicative of passive acceptance that the head coach just might have something about him.

7 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

What if he goes somewhere and enjoys it too much? What if he likes it? WHAT IF HE LEAVES US!

Sorry since my gf left me I have become very insecure 

Archived