Portsmouth v Derby County

i-Ram

What's happened since "for a period in the game at Burton we were unplayable " ?.

Grant's unplayable at the best of times, and Hendrick's just joined him on the naughty step.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think we should go back to a 4-3-3??? New players to improve a formation that worked? Not on panic button at all I like the other for,actions clement is bringing across, just think 4-3-3 worked and now we have better players to add to it!! We will be fine COYR

Grant - 6

Ssewankambo - 5

Pearce - 6

Shackell - 8

Forsyth - 7

Baird - 6

Hendrick - 5

Russell - 6

Weimann - 5

Bent - 5

Subs

Martin - 5

Ince - 5

Thorne - 8

Beyond the headlines of Grant's error and the penalty that wasn't given...

90% of attempted crosses weren't challenged, so therefore reached the centre of the goal

Lack of control and passing in the CM area until Thorne came on

Lack of movement from the front 3

A right back who will never be a championship footballer while he has a hole in his @rse 

Dawkins looking ten times better in the hole than Ince then being taken off, just when players came on on his wavelength ie Thorne and Martin 

Haven't got time to read any posts but my observations.....

better team shape

goalkeeping error made it difficult for ourselves

definate peno not given

the removal of the right back seemed to catch us out for their second goal.

when we were brave enough to attack we looked better though there was some negative passing from baird and hendrick

altho we lost i'm not fussed. Defeat might do us some good. Wakey wakey.

I'd agree with most of that. I don't think the change at right back had anything to do with the winner though. That was just excellent play by Portsmouth with a sublime chipped pass under pressure to get their player in behind us.

Didn't see it or hear it. Seems like we played badly but please, 2 games in and already our fans are getting mardy that we aren't ripping it up like we did for about 15 games under McClaren.

Takes time for things to sort themselves out and by time I mean half a season not 5 or 6 games.

We've got good players, just need to get them used to playing a different way or find a system that suits them better.

Hendrick showed desire? Is that some kind of joke? Did you see their second goal - lazy!

I see the connection - very clever.

A Streetcar Named Desire

Hendrick was as mobile and as manoeuvrable as a tram.

In an evening of over the top daft comments, this has got to win the 'daftest comment of the evening' award. Well done sir!!

How so? Did you see the post match interview? He looked absolutely clueless and was reluctant to shoulder any of the blame towards himself or the players HE picked.

Clement: "It wasn't until we went behind that we started to play the football that we can."

I must have missed that, as we we're absolutely dire for the whole 94 minutes.

Didn't see it or hear it. Seems like we played badly but please, 2 games in and already our fans are getting mardy that we aren't ripping it up like we did for about 15 games under McClaren.

Takes time for things to sort themselves out and by time I mean half a season not 5 or 6 games.

We've got good players, just need to get them used to playing a different way or find a system that suits them better.

If we have to wait half a season for our players to keep it on the floor and stop hoofing it, we might very well already be out of the automatic/play off race by that point :lol:

Those who said Dawks was useless and can never play in the middle. Don't comment, just don't bother. You clearly know nothing about football or what you're seeing infront of you.

In the first half, he was purposely told to stay forward and play as a number 10... Why? I don't know, it's evidently not his best position. But you could see it out of possession. Weimann and Russell dropped wide, we went 4-4-2 out of possession with Dawkins staying up top. 

The guy is such a good football, absoloutely brilliant technically a this level. He's got a fantastic first touch, excellent movement on the ball, great vision and at an ease in playing in tight spaces.

So why ishe being played further forward, relying on Jeff Hendrick and Chris Baird to pass him the ball?

We want to get from A ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> B with A being the GK/CBs and B being the opposition's box.

Why would you not have your best passer receiving the ball, coming deep, playing it forward with ease and retaining it? It's embarrassing to see him utilized so badly.

If you can't see he could be part of a midfield three and do the 'Iniesta' job then you're blind...

Hendrick showed desire? Is that some kind of joke? Did you see their second goal - lazy!

i wasnt saying he had a good game ! But his movement was OK and he was showing for the ball ! Trying to drive forward on a couple of occasions!  I never once saw a decent run from our "goal scorer" ! I was simply saying surely you can't think bent had a better game than Hendrick? 

PistoldPete2

Very average very disappointing and we are just so slow going forward and the amount of times we just played the big boot lets just hope they r still jelling and it clicks very soon 

I think we can gel... But I think we need more in midfield. Without Thorne and hughes we are nothing there. Not easy to judge the strikers who are marooned if we don't get the midfield right. Also echoes of back end of last season, schoolboy errors from grant and the ref.., just like watching the wolves game all over again. 

I have never liked this managerial penchant for leaving key players on the bench for cup games.  After a lacklustre start on Saturday, this was an opportunity to get some momentum and confidence injected into our season and get a win under our belt.  Clement can justify for sure why he chose to leave Carson, Keogh, Thorne, Ince and Martin on the bench, but I think we missed a trick tonight

Those who said Dawks was useless and can never play in the middle. Don't comment, just don't bother. You clearly know nothing about football or what you're seeing infront of you.

In the first half, he was purposely told to stay forward and play as a number 10... Why? I don't know, it's evidently not his best position. But you could see it out of possession. Weimann and Russell dropped wide, we went 4-4-2 out of possession with Dawkins staying up top. 

The guy is such a good football, absoloutely brilliant technically a this level. He's got a fantastic first touch, excellent movement on the ball, great vision and at an ease in playing in tight spaces.

So why ishe being played further forward, relying on Jeff Hendrick and Chris Baird to pass him the ball?

We want to get from A ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> B with A being the GK/CBs and B being the opposition's box.

Why would you not have your best passer receiving the ball, coming deep, playing it forward with ease and retaining it? It's embarrassing to see him utilized so badly.

If you can't see he could be part of a midfield three and do the 'Iniesta' job then you're blind...

I agree ! In a 3 he will be a perfect hughes replacement his vision is maybe even better!  

I'd agree with most of that. I don't think the change at right back had anything to do with the winner though. That was just excellent play by Portsmouth with a sublime chipped pass under pressure to get their player in behind us.

Credit to Portsmouth but Hendrick made it easier for them by switching off and not tracking his man. 

Didn't press, lacked energy,

Hedrick is only any good as a raider .  He doesn't tackle well and passing is iffy. 

Ssemwankambo . Promising full debut 

midfield was dire 

what the hoofball was that all about ?  Until Thorne came on it was us that looked league 2 

dont think it is clement or the formation .. Players just lacked fire and the ability to move the ball quickly enough or Harry the opposition 

still .. It was the cup and early days .. Let's hope this is a big wake up call 

Archived