Portsmouth v Derby County

i-Ram

Not read through the whole thread so apologies if my points are duplicates.

Just 3 positives from me last night:-

1 - Shackell, defended well and scored too

2 - Thorne, controlled the game when he came on and actually got us moving forward quicker

3 - Clement, did not hide behind excuses and told is as it was...rubbish. Obviously this is only a positive if he does something about it!

Too many negatives to list but the biggies for me were tempo and formation.

One thing I cannot understand...I have regularly heard Clement talking about trying to get new formation and new ideas across to the team. If this is the case then surely a competitive game like last night is ideal practice, so why make 7 changes?

I'm not worried yet but a few more performances like that and alarm bells might start ringing.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have absolutely no idea what Ssewankambo did to warrant such rave reviews from some fans, he looked every bit as average as the rest of the team and did absolutely nothing Christie couldn't do.

Wonder if the fancy name has anything to do with it.

Thorne came on the pitch, bossed it, then after a few minutes was so frustrated with it all. Tripped up some guy, gesticulated, yellow carded, then shook his head for the rest of the game :lol: Definitely my favourite player.

Without Keogh in the team, playing out of defense is very difficult. Without Thorne in front of them as well it's impossible. I hope people are finally seeing that.

Yes, the remaining 40 seconds of the game he looked frustrated. :P

I'm glad we are out of this competition and we can now concentrate entirely on the league games.

Clement needs to pick his strongest team and stick to a formation that works with the players that are available.

Do not change it unless it is hopelessly going wrong.

No more mass changes of players from match-to-match and more importantly keep the same defence, except for the goalkeeper, as I now believe Grant has lost his confidence and Carson will remain in the side until such time he is injured or suspended.

i thought Ssewankambo was our star player, Russell looked good when running at opposing defenders, the rest looked lost, whatever Clement is trying to show them maybe is going to take some time, the link between midfield and attack is currently missing and the change in both personel and formation is effecting moral, im sure clement will get this right and we will do well, onwards and upwards.

i thought Ssewankambo was our star player, Russell looked good when running at opposing defenders, the rest looked lost, whatever Clement is trying to show them maybe is going to take some time, the link between midfield and attack is currently missing and the change in both personel and formation is effecting moral, im sure clement will get this right and we will do well, onwards and upwards.

What did you think he did well?

What did you think he did well?

I thought he looked very accomplished, good on the ball and read the situations he was faced with, good turn of speed, be honest it was the first time I have seen him play and was impressed, also entered my mind was he was probably earning less than the rest of the team and still produced the goods, I think he should keep his place...

Well that's it .. All over finished, dead in the water. Never going to a game again. Sulking furiously. ( I'll be alright by Saturday morning though. ) 

meanwhile and a bit out of left field please can we have Thorne and Hanson to get a grip of midfield so we win the ball when we don't have it and to act as the preferred link between defence and attack when we do have it ! .... Wiseman, Bent, Ince Martin Rusell or whoever can't do a thing unless they are given the ball in the right way at the right time.

Well that's it .. All over finished, dead in the water. Never going to a game again. Sulking furiously. ( I'll be alright by Saturday morning though. ) 

meanwhile and a bit out of left field please can we have Thorne and Hanson to get a grip of midfield so we win the ball when we don't have it and to act as the preferred link between defence and attack when we do have it ! .... Wiseman, Bent, Ince Martin Rusell or whoever can't do a thing unless they are given the ball in the right way at the right time.

This has some merit in a 4231 and was my suggestion for the Portsmouth game. One to pass the ball and one to run around and make challenges. However with Thorne alongside him Hendrick should play better than he did yesterday.

I can never understand people who say they are glad when we get knocked

out of cups.I can't imagine any occasion when I want us to lose.There are many

times when I think we will lose,but I always hope I'm wrong.I enjoy a good cup

run and always hope we will win a cup.Also as for it helping our promotion

chances,how come we don't get promoted,then.

On paper, the team that was put out last night, should have won the game. Clement has little experience toknow how hard some of these lesser teams are to beat. The only improvement that I would have made, which I did suggest at the time, was to bring Thorne, Martin and Ince on at half time.

Having watched the 'highlights' again, one thing is for sure; the Derby players are not competing for the ball. When someone gets past a midfielder, noone chases that man down or tries to get behind the ball. McGurk ran from the half way line. Ssewankambo who is fast, failed to react. Pearce was ball watching and did not see McGurk. The header was truly brilliant but should easily have been saved by Grant.Grant's place has gone until Carson has a couple of stinkers or gets injured. Players who may be very concerned now are Grant, Christie and Pearce. Uncertain players may be Forsyth, Bent and Dawkins.A lot more effort is now required or we will not win against Charlton.

Archived