Portsmouth v Derby County

i-Ram

Just seen the game. 

Thought we started very poorly, didn't really get going at all. We looked frantic and hurried on the ball and for the most part lazy off it. 

I thought Sswankambo looked nervous allowed Portsmouth behind us too easily, Hendrick didn't look at all settled and Dawkins hardly saw the ball. Bent had absolutely nothing to act on, and the lack of width clear. Portsmouth had far too much space to run into. 

Positives:

- Clement's post-match interview was refreshingly honest, didn't defend what was a poor performance, and acknowledged that we never got going until we went behind. Attitude not good enough. But good to see a manager not hiding from the truth.

- I thought Thorne, Martin and Ince all looked decent upon their introduction, Thorne in particular.

- Despite behind CB in the losing team, I though Jason Shackell had an excellent defensive display throughout. Won everything, made some important blocks and interceptions and got 1 of the 5 goals I need from him this season. Good man.

Let's hope we turn up for Saturday, hopefully an embarrassing defeat might provide the kick up the backside required.

Up the Rams.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't got time to read any posts but my observations.....

better team shape

goalkeeping error made it difficult for ourselves

definate peno not given

the removal of the right back seemed to catch us out for their second goal.

when we were brave enough to attack we looked better though there was some negative passing from baird and hendrick

altho we lost i'm not fussed. Defeat might do us some good. Wakey wakey.

We didn't lose a right back. Baird dropped back and Thorne replaced him in CDM.

We can't use a mildly questionable refereeing decision to cover the fact that we were poor tonight. Personally I thought it was right on the edge of the box anyway. Without watching all the slow-mo replays. 

Bent can't play upfront on his own. We learnt it last season. He can't help it if countless long balls are coming into him, with no support around him. 

ftfy

We didn't lose a right back. Baird dropped back and Thorne replaced him in CDM.

We can't use a mildly questionable refereeing decision to cover the fact that we were poor tonight. Personally I thought it was right on the edge of the box anyway. Without watching all the slow-mo replays. 

but baird was nowhere near it. hendrick and russell were trying to deal with the attack.

baird was in the box

Yeah I realised my mistake and edited it.

Even if they were promotion candidates I'd still be annoyed about our performance against them. If you don't like people sharing their concerns and 'being negative' I'd suggest not looking at match day threads when we've just lost to a 2nd string League 2 side with a team that included Weimann, Russell, Hendrick, Shackell etc. while only managing 1 shot on target

negative is fine but a sense of perspective wouldn't go amiss. 

I think we are still trying to gel and get used to the new style of play, I don't think we had enough pre season games and I think that showed, felt sorry for Bent, agree about the lack of width, shack ell was immense as was Thorne when he came on, Russell played well, should have been a pen but we got what we deserved. I think the more we play the better we will be and we do need midfield replacements ASAP , I thought Dawkins was a bit exposed and Hendrick not sure about what he should be doing. Upwards and onwards we will improve and be in the mix and the end of the season COYR

I saw someone rate Weimann higher than Dawkins. 

That's enough for me.

See you all next season, have a good one.

Boy, you redheads are sooooo tempestuous.  

Dawkins keeps falling into that trap of retaining the ball and then finding one of our players. When will he learn.

Taking it as one individual game only:

- First 65 minutes was abysmal, but hopefully this will have educated Clement on what his best players and team are.

- Fundamental Thorne plays. On the bonus, concentrate on league games only for him now.

- Reaffirms who his number one goal keeper is. Mistake aside, his kicking was atrocious as well.

- Thorne, Ince and Martin are all players who get on the ball. Genuinely think we will always struggle if Bent is on his own up front.

- Dawkins was poor IMO, but this manifested from a poor team performance, rather than him having an off day. Only Russell showed anything for me of the attacking six.

- Sseswankambo looked out of his depth. More interested in making a tackle and looked like a school kid making his debut for a school team. I assume Baird will slot back into the right back role.

Personally for me, I would go out and strengthen. We're a RB short, or a centre midfielder short.

Dissapointed on the loss, but more because I like going to games and this means there are less games to go to for me. I also think it will help Clement with team selection in the immediate future.

Anyone still think Baird is a midfield player?

I have been consistent in saying we need another central midfield player and last night demonstrated the point.

I thought Dawkins did okay but it's difficult being a ball player when you're watching it fly over your head!

Thorne is a class above those around him and he will soon get fed up if we play like last night

However it's one game in which Clement tried out some different players.

Judge the team on our league performance.

Anyone still think Baird is a midfield player?

I have been consistent in saying we need another central midfield player and last night demonstrated the point.

I thought Dawkins did okay but it's difficult being a ball player when you're watching it fly over your head!

Thorne is a class above those around him and he will soon get fed up if we play like last night

However it's one game in which Clement tried out some different players.

Judge the team on our league performance.

Thorne came on the pitch, bossed it, then after a few minutes was so frustrated with it all. Tripped up some guy, gesticulated, yellow carded, then shook his head for the rest of the game :lol: Definitely my favourite player.

Without Keogh in the team, playing out of defense is very difficult. Without Thorne in front of them as well it's impossible. I hope people are finally seeing that.

agree that I think it'll help Clement cement his 1st eleven, I've a feeling it'll be a while before Grant gets another go in goal but I thought the back four looked reasonable albeit against lower league opposition. For me it was almost the opposite of last season where we looked really short in midfield and Bent offered nothing (mainly because of service).

But ultimately, I thought we were totally out fought, they wanted it much more than us which is disappointing and of course, not withstanding the friendlies and all the changes it's another in a long line of poor results going back to Feb/Mar

Glad we lost tbh. Better off out of this stupid tinpot competition, too many games as it is in this league and more chances for players to get needlessly injured.

Whilst I agree the competition is not a "biggie", we had a shortened pre-season and we have in the past genuinely sent out the kids and 3rd string.

So i think this was an opportunity and PC saw it as such to treat it as en extended pre-season as i dion't see that we have arrived at the start of the season proper as sharp as we should be.

And what happened to all this "we started early with the ball" in pre-season.........wheres the evidence of that in last nights passing display?

Archived