Your favourite Derby people of all time

Cisse

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to look past Poom for me. Partly because I was a young keeper watching him play as a kid, partly because of his attitude. 

I'll never forget an interview with Darryl Powell who said he 1st week Poom joined he beat DP (and others) in cross country. Asked why he was so fit when he was a keeper he said (in his then limited english) "I work hard, I run" and ever since he was one of the fittest players at the club. 

After him:
Thorne

Sir Brain Clough

Jim Smith

Lionel Pickering

Mark Wright. Remember seeing the team training at Moorways not long after he came back from Italia 90. Still had his head patched up and I asked him how his head was feeling. He gave me the thumbs up and said "Not bad at all" with a massive grin.

I was only about 10 years old and the simple fact that I was talking to someone who I'd just seen score that header against Egypt on TV was completely magical.

Graham Richards, Ross Fletcher and Colin Bloomfield get a mention. Paul Pescisolido, clearly all the goodness and light in that partnership. Shaun Barker. And contovesially Robbie Savage. I say Sav based on the way he was helpful to my pal  who organise Swans4cancer despite not being a Swansea man or knowing him from anyone.

if we're talking football it's Roy Mac for me. If we're talking other things then John Flamsteed the first Astronomer Royal and Joseph Wright artist and name of my old and now defunct school used to be in Babington Lane

Archived