Derby County v Villarreal

i-Ram

Harsh nsr on Warnock thought he had a decent game got caught a couple of times but did not get much protection from Hughes first half which is the problem with the diamond in midfield and Hughes attacking instinct.Think Clement had a word because it got better second.

Impressed with Baird does his job very well good captain too, have seen him loads of times and never really stuck in the mind but pro badly because he just does the job no frills.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we were a bit narrow with the diamond.

relying on full backs to get forward and neither was overly keen.

not sure about ince central either, we know that he loves cutting inside from the right

great to see george getting back in the groove

looked solid

keogh played well.

just.........lacked a bit of of width for me.

Thought all the back 4 did well against slick, quick opponents. Yes Warnock looks a bit slow off the mark and Keogh sometimes does that "changed my mind" hesitation a couple of times but also put himself in the firing line with commitment.

midfield did well esp Hughes and Thorne. Thought Hanson added missing muscle when he came on. Liked him, shows serious promise. 

They were on to Ince and I reckon had him marked as a danger man but he stuck at it and looked dangerous at times. Martin did his bit and Weiman is going to be great to watch. Bent pen was sloppy and he will be kicking himself. Grant did make an error but he was at full stretch backwards. It was a tough one. His distribution needs to be quicker and more precise.

excellent team performance against a quality side .. Their 23 was liked greased lighting.

I thought Super Paul Clement looked rather dapper this evening. All is well at the IPro.

And crowd singing songs, was this all coming from the south stand and how did The 1884 Group get on, did they belt out any hits?

Super Paul Clements Grey Jumper We Trust. 

decent noise from the south stand, just tuning up for the 15th though!!

Weimann is going to be a right handful this season.  He´s got a quick footballing brain and obviously likes high tempo.  Expected Baird to be a useful utility player, but wow am really impressed with him and captain to boot.

Ince higher than Thorne? Give over. Ince wasn't in the game tonight, all the others were. Not his fault, just a slight off day, newer position to learn and he will be fantastic for us.

Thornes 90 minutes bossing the game was my biggest plus.

The formation is risky because it leaves us exposed defensively in my opinion. Not saying we shouldn't go with it because I saw tonight that Hughes dropping a bit more can be a plus.

Grant should do better in the goal. Really hope Carson has a good game on Saturday so he gets the gloves for Bolton. 

Hey how was the lads so like a good performance on twitter sounds like we battered them on attemps on goal.

We looked strong, passed it well too. Generally we do though against teams that don't close us down so quick in our own half, but that's the way Spanish teams play. Can we move to Spain instead of playing here?

I thought that Warnock was good as well but others seem to think that he was rubbish. They seem to be letting their bias get in the way

He mistimed two tackles in the first 10 minutes, and then I don't think he put a foot wrong. Some would likely say that the two feet he put wrong were the ones that took him onto the pitch, but they are entitled to their opinions, no matter how misguided.

Hughes an absolute joy to watch. Best player on the pitch by some way.
Baird solid.
Weimann lively. 
Bent very lazy penalty and some poorly timed runs. 
Grant should have done better but it was a good strike. Weak hand?

All in all, very good performance against a pretty decent side. Should have won it. 

The ball dipped, and hit Grant pretty well flush on the wrist. A hand and it goes over the bar. My only problem with Grant was his kicking on occasion, but a couple of his dinked passes to Hughes were excellent.

That was a good game, lots of good performances and a tidy goal. Probably should have won as well.

Baird impressed, in fact the entire defence looked good - especially Keogh!

Hughes very good in midfield, Thorne still getting back to match fitness.

Front three worked hard to create something, should have scored more.

Good game, glad to have football back!

He mistimed two tackles in the first 10 minutes, and then I don't think he put a foot wrong. Some would likely say that the two feet he put wrong were the ones that took him onto the pitch, but they are entitled to their opinions, no matter how misguided.

we at least watched the same match. Not warlocks biggest fan but for the last 75 mins he did a good job. Think they all started slow but after first 10-15 mins they got into their stride 

With the diamond, when we lose possession in midfield it's catastrophic.

Catastrophic?  Really?  I thought we looked pretty secure tonight against a very talented team of ball players. Compared to the final 10 games of last season I thought the team looked like they had been trained/schooled well in their respective roles, and it was comforting I thought to see Clement standing their making his feelings known. Far too early yet, but the new boss looks like someone who can organise a team, but also has the full respect of his players.

Just got back,I thought all the defence looked good,especially Baird he is a great pro,and reads the game so well,also thought Thorne and Hughes looked good in midfield,and up front Wiemann was buzzing around,and really deserved his goal,also thought we kept the ball well,good signs,but all want matters is when the season starts,but I am sure with this squad we are in for a very good season,oh I can not wait till BOLTON away.

Archived