Derby County v Villarreal

i-Ram

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant 6 - Obviously didn't do well for their goal but the shooter wasn't closed down and no-one was following up. 

Baird 7 - Very solid performance, can pass out of defence, but little threat on the overlap

Warnock 3/6 - Dreadful first 20 minutes, steady after that, Hughes helped him loads

Keogh 7 - One mistake in the first half, masterful the rest of the game

Pearce 6 - Solid enough but not a footballer

Thorne 6.5 - Some nice tackles and passes, but looks 3 or 4 games away from being match sharp

Hughes 8 - Solid and hardworking first half, helping Warnock, gave a second half masterclass, stunning at times

Hendrick 7 - A little in and out the game, but worked hard and took a great free kick  

Ince 6 - Not really in the game enough until the last 20 minutes, good run and pass for the goal

Martin 7 - Held the ball up well, should have got shots earlier, a little out of position

Weimann 7 - Worked incredibly hard, but not always to best effect, poor finish redeemed by rebound

Thought Hughes was a different class tonight. Thorne and Keogh were both so shif hot. 

Looking good for for the season.

Anyone enlighten me as to what number that Villareal player had on his shirt? Looked like a snake. 

Entertaining match against a fluent side. I was looking for the eradication of defensive frailties of last year. Problems still to be solved are

1. Grant not looking secure at times. Diabolical kicking by Grant. how can he not get better at it?

2. Far too much passing around at the back for me

Warnock dodgy to start with but Will Hughes covered for him while he settled in.

3. Midfielders not always free to receive the ball from defenders.

However,

Baird has got the fullback spot while he maintains tonight's standard

Martin too wide at times, still getting fit. 

Hughes was different class

Thorne getting back to his best, a few stray passes. Thorne and Hughes will destroy teams soon enough.

Pearcre was steady if unspectacular.

Keogh had a very good game

Hendrick did not do enough for me

Ssewankambo looks like a great signing, one for second half of the season?

Weimann did enough to suggest that he could be brilliant when he settles in.

Bent - I do not know if he is up for it yet.

Russell was full of energy

Hanson for Hendrick, a bit more defensive than Hendrick but has a lot to learn .Loan him out till Xmas

Ince showed some nice touches

I think that we can control and dictate very easily in many games next season

Good game. Shame if anyone wants to pick mistakes out of it. 

Blame TV pundit tossers for that. You could look awesome for 89 minutes and they'd show you in super slow motion from 15 different angles how you made a quite innocent error in the 90th. 

Big picture.

Tempo was good. Defending from the front was good. Little bit of work to do with Hughes and Hendrick. They have a hugely physically demanding role if tonight is a sign of the future. Proper hard graft. New signings look good. Thorne looks like he's getting more comfortable with each game. Had the best chances in the match. 

Just watched the second half, so a few points, positives and negatives:

- Baird was brilliant at RB

- Warnock must have been awful in the first-half considering the comments on here. Nothing wrong with his second half performance.

- Thorne's movement and positioning was very good. His passing, however, was off though. Too many passes went behind the fullbacks in space and actually prevented decent attacking opportunities.

- We looked far too narrow. Was easy for them to remain compact and break down attacks.

- Not really sure we were better than them in the second half. I don't understand this perception. Yeh we 'controlled' possession, but they created the better openings and carved our defence open more frequently. 

- It was never a penalty. Russell had a poor first touch, lost balance and just fell over.

- Martin was excellent in possession, and his movement to get in one-vs-one was great considering he's not really that type of striker. He's by far our best striker.

- We coped well under pressure. I don't think we'll come up against a team this season who will pressure us on the ball as much as that, hunting in packs and getting tight on the initial ball forward. Great workout in that regard.

- Tom Ince is a really clever player in the final third. Knows how and when to release that final pass.

Just watched the second half, so a few points, positives and negatives:

- Baird was brilliant at RB

- Warnock must have been awful in the first-half considering the comments on here. Nothing wrong with his second half performance.

- Thorne's movement and positioning was very good. His passing, however, was off though. Too many passes went behind the fullbacks in space and actually prevented decent attacking opportunities.

- We looked far too narrow. Was easy for them to remain compact and break down attacks.

- Not really sure we were better than them in the second half. I don't understand this perception. Yeh we 'controlled' possession, but they created the better openings and carved our defence open more frequently. 

- It was never a penalty. Russell had a poor first touch, lost balance and just fell over.

- Martin was excellent in possession, and his movement to get in one-vs-one was great considering he's not really that type of striker. He's by far our best striker.

- We coped well under pressure. I don't think we'll come up against a team this season who will pressure us on the ball as much as that, hunting in packs and getting tight on the initial ball forward. Great workout in that regard.

- Tom Ince is a really clever player in the final third. Knows how and when to release that final pass.

Where did you watch it Bris?

Thought it was a very impressive performance last night, against a very good side.

Missed their goal, saw it go up and assumed it went over, next thing I knew, they were all celebrating! Any video of their goal around? 

Standout players for me were Thorne who was such a massive step up on what we had in that role last year, Hughes, Weimann, Hendrick, Baird and Keogh.

Anyone else think Ince was wasted being so central? Would have liked to see him with the freedom to maybe drift onto the wings, get the ball and run at people. Maybe the quality of opposition prevented that?

Also, I think that would allow Martin to drop deep and recieve the ball, with Weimann running in behind. Thought Martin was unable to influence the game as much as normal, and we were unable to stamp much authority in the final third.

Still, only a small point, more of a refinement, on a very impressive performance.

Morning all, hope everyone is having a good summer.

Read some interesting opinions on here. Just to pick up on Bris's point about looking too narrow - in the first half (which he didn't see)  I thought we looked too open as Hughes and to a lesser extent Hendrick were playing really wide. 

It seemed a determined move to bring Hughes more infield second half, which did indeed narrow us. I actually thought though it improved us, and after a largely ineffective first half, Hughes became much more influential.

Thought they were the better side in the first, we were clearly better in the second and carved out at least five excellent chances including the peno and goal; Ince dragged a shot wide when well placed, Martin went round the keeper and had it cleared off the line, someone had a defection from a corner from a free header. There may have been more.

Elsewhere some very good performances from Thorne, Hendrick (who did an enormous amount without the ball) and Martin.

Thought we coped with the ball very well, and without it ok against a technically very good side. Baird and Pearce both impressed in terms of the new signings. Warnock needs a few more games like that to convince me he isn't constantly one swing of the leg away from disaster, whilst Keogh was typical Keogh; some good moments, a few last ditch flings and the odd giveaway.

All in all I was pretty impressed.

Entertaining match against a fluent side. I was looking for the eradication of defensive frailties of last year. Problems still to be solved are

1. Grant not looking secure at times. Diabolical kicking by Grant. how can he not get better at it?

2. Far too much passing around at the back for me

Warnock dodgy to start with but Will Hughes covered for him while he settled in.

3. Midfielders not always free to receive the ball from defenders.

However,

Baird has got the fullback spot while he maintains tonight's standard

Martin too wide at times, still getting fit. 

Hughes was different class

Thorne getting back to his best, a few stray passes. Thorne and Hughes will destroy teams soon enough.

Pearcre was steady if unspectacular.

Keogh had a very good game

Hendrick did not do enough for me

Ssewankambo looks like a great signing, one for second half of the season?

Weimann did enough to suggest that he could be brilliant when he settles in.

Bent - I do not know if he is up for it yet.

Russell was full of energy

Hanson for Hendrick, a bit more defensive than Hendrick but has a lot to learn .Loan him out till Xmas

Ince showed some nice touches

I think that we can control and dictate very easily in many games next season

I think that is a great analysis. I would only differ with you on Hanson who I thought looked excellent in his brief cameo. Their midfield was strong and quick and Hemdrick was beginning to be out fought as he tired. Hanson looked strong and played effective simple balls. Defo excellent cover for GT or anywhere in the middle of the park where some grunt is required. 

Anyone else think Ince was wasted being so central? Would have liked to see him with the freedom to maybe drift onto the wings, get the ball and run at people. 

agreed.

Maybe in the second half we played well despite the formation rather than because of the formation?

maybe in the first half we didn't play well despite the formation rather than because of it?

Archived