Derby County v Villarreal

i-Ram

Good, encouraging display tonight. Lots has been said on the positive so I'll focus on a bit of balance.

The high ratings for Hughes I'd only agree with in the second half, I spent tonight on the halfway line in the East stand right next to most of Hughes play and for the last 20 of the first half I felt we really started to lose our nice passing and left huges chasing and putting in challenges he really didn't look confident doing. Every aerial dual he turned his back and I just feel it's an area of his game that holds him back from being that class above. He seemed to push up the field to avoid defensive duties and as such left the defence a bit more exposed.

Ince was another one who's performance on the ball and off the ball contrasted quite strongly. Good calm play under pressure with the ability to hold off three players but a lot seemed to pass him by and it looked obvious he was new to the position.

I'll also defend grant for the goal and say it looked from our angle to be a strong reaching save that found our defence on its heels. Obviously you want the ball pushed out to the side but the save was made and the attacker followed in unchallenged. You can't just blame grant for that in my view.

All in all very very pleased, especially with the second half. The defence looked like a solid unit with some fantastic blocks, really throwing their body's on the line.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got in from the beach, forgot all about the game. Sounds like we played pretty well against Villarreal's second string, who incidentally still boast some excellent squad players.

This season can't come around quickly enough. Exciting times!

I have to be honest I wasn't that impressed tonight, I'm not a fan of the system, I don't really think it suits players like Hughes and Hendrick who ended up wide and thought we weren't very expansive, we had a few bits of nice play (one great move where Ince shot wide second half) but on the whole I thought we we're more direct. The back 4 played well against a side who can clearly play, grant didn't fill me with much confidence though. Still with the players we can put out on the pitch, I still believe we will be up there this season.

we at least watched the same match. Not warlocks biggest fan but for the last 75 mins he did a good job. Think they all started slow but after first 10-15 mins they got into their stride 

Similar to the Utrecht game. We were slow out the traps that day, but once we hit our stride we dominated. That was a very promising performance tonight, and for a colour-blind neutral it would have been difficult at times to work out who were the team who are going to be playing in the Europa League next season.

Grant could have done better with the goal, but it was proper pinged at him. Thorne should have closed down before the shot and their lad reacted when none of our defence did for the tap in. Grant was steady.

Warnock worried the hell out of me back to his old tricks in the first 5 minutes, but thereafter did pretty well. SI'd still have Fozzy back in.

Baird was very steady, composed and did brilliantly with one breakaway to hold it up and see out the danger. 

Pearce was OK, not as good as Bucko. Shackell walks in to that shirt. Keogh was immense. Had his usual mistake, but got away with it and is as good a defender as they come bringing the ball out. MOTM contender.

Thorne had a flaky moment or two, but was generally superb, breaking up play and oozing composure and class.

Will Hughes was playing a different sport to everyone else, especially second half where he was head and shoulder the best player on the pitch. 

Kendrick did well, especially second half.

Martin was sound, but on another night could have had a couple of goals.Very unlucky second half cleared off the line.

Weimann was busy, nippy, rode his luck for the goal, should have had another first half, and nearly got played in by GT on a great break.

Ince fluttered in and out a bit. If he's not scoring scorchers you sometimes wonder what he's up to.

Bent was offside twice in 5 minutes, missed a peno and worries me.

Johnny ws Johnny. Busy, threatening, won the peno, nearly got in a couple of times.

Ssewankambo is an athlete and definitely has a chance. Hansen played a very tidy cameo and could well develop into a GTesque cover player this season.

First half got the run around a bit at times, second half, especially until we scored, we were well on top and Hughes was imperious. Well worth a draw, against a side which has a lot of class and at time pinged it around superbly, especially first half.

Encouraged.

The ball dipped, and hit Grant pretty well flush on the wrist. A hand and it goes over the bar. My only problem with Grant was his kicking on occasion, but a couple of his dinked passes to Hughes were excellent.

'A hand and it goes over the bar'

That's like saying 'If he'd hit it on target and towards the top corner it goes in'

Decent friendly against a very good team. Enjoyed it, there's some great options for different systems.

George Thorne is like a new signing and will be superb if he stays fit.

Good work out, good attendance, good atmosphere.

Poor mobile phone attempt. Wtf was that all about?

Similar to the Utrecht game. We were slow out the traps that day, but once we hit our stride we dominated. That was a very promising performance tonight, and for a colour-blind neutral it would have been difficult at times to work out who were the team who are going to be playing in the Europa League next season.

Well it won't be Villarreal's B team so you're probably right on that one Eddie.

Don't think many teams will be as incisive as they were tonight this season and we just about coped most of the game.

that one ball from defence beyond midfield into a striker's feet who's dropped off our centre back still worries me. We got hit with that so many times last year. 

Decent friendly against a very good team. Enjoyed it, there's some great options for different systems.

George Thorne is like a new signing and will be superb if he stays fit.

Good work out, good attendance, good atmosphere.

Poor mobile phone attempt. Wtf was that all about?

Did you have a blue jacket on, red trim and wearing a Derby shirt?

That went down for a beer on 30 minutes and came back up 10 minutes in? 

Grant could have done better with the goal, but it was proper pinged at him. Thorne should have closed down before the shot and their lad reacted when none of our defence did for the tap in. Grant was steady.

Warnock worried the hell out of me back to his old tricks in the first 5 minutes, but thereafter did pretty well. SI'd still have Fozzy back in.

Baird was very steady, composed and did brilliantly with one breakaway to hold it up and see out the danger. 

Pearce was OK, not as good as Bucko. Shackell walks in to that shirt. Keogh was immense. Had his usual mistake, but got away with it and is as good a defender as they come bringing the ball out. MOTM contender.

Thorne had a flaky moment or two, but was generally superb, breaking up play and oozing composure and class.

Will Hughes was playing a different sport to everyone else, especially second half where he was head and shoulder the best player on the pitch. 

Kendrick did well, especially second half.

Martin was sound, but on another night could have had a couple of goals.Very unlucky second half cleared off the line.

Weimann was busy, nippy, rode his luck for the goal, should have had another first half, and nearly got played in by GT on a great break.

Ince fluttered in and out a bit. If he's not scoring scorchers you sometimes wonder what he's up to.

Bent was offside twice in 5 minutes, missed a peno and worries me.

Johnny ws Johnny. Busy, threatening, won the peno, nearly got in a couple of times.

Ssewankambo is an athlete and definitely has a chance. Hansen played a very tidy cameo and could well develop into a GTesque cover player this season.

First half got the run around a bit at times, second half, especially until we scored, we were well on top and Hughes was imperious. Well worth a draw, against a side which has a lot of class and at time pinged it around superbly, especially first half.

Encouraged.

Jeff Hendrick says you're a bitch and asks you not to kill his vibe

Well it won't be Villarreal's B team so you're probably right on that one Eddie.

Were many of that lot getting much game time last season Bris? The #7 was tidy.

Hope you only paid a fiver to get in seeing as you missed half the game

Utch is trying it on, pretending to be a half fan.

Were many of that lot getting much game time last season Bris? The #7 was tidy.

Six first-teamers featured altogether, three in the first-half and then a different three in the second.

A few standout players from last season weren't there for various reasons, including the Mexican dos Santos brothers, Luciano Vietto who was sold to Atletico Madrid and Marcelino who was injured.

I haven't got a list of the numbers but they had Pina, Juame Costa and Gerard Moreno out there at one point - three players who featured in the 1-1 draw at Real Madrid in March.

Six first-teamers featured altogether, three in the first-half and then a different three in the second.

A few standout players from last season weren't there for various reasons, including the Mexican dos Santos brothers, Luciano Vietto who was sold to Atletico Madrid and Marcelino who was injured.

I haven't got a list of the numbers but they had Pina, Juame Costa and Gerard Moreno out there at one point - three players who featured in the 1-1 draw at Real Madrid in March.

From their squad that beat Wolfsburg there were 9 that started tonight.

Archived