Derby County v Villarreal

i-Ram

Having had a bit of time to digest it all and both loving and agreeing with all the positives I am left with one minor concern and that is the level of athleticism. Some players in some teams seem to float over the turf rathan than rumble like charging Bulls. This is a key difference between prem and championship. You could see it last night. Probably 50% of their team looked to have another gear. We shut them down and blocked the gear change on many occasions but there is that explosive quick reaction and flowing movement that special players have (Weimans got it and I have a sense that Ssanwankambo might have it but we need more like them ) Hughes and Thorne have every ounce the same skill level but not quite the bounce - does anyone else get what I mean about those players that aren't affected by gravity quite as much as normal mortals ? ( yeah ok I know it's a crackpot theory ?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having had a bit of time to digest it all and both loving and agreeing with all the positives I am left with one minor concern and that is the level of athleticism. Some players in some teams seem to float over the turf rathan than rumble like charging Bulls. This is a key difference between prem and championship. You could see it last night. Probably 50% of their team looked to have another gear. We shut them down and blocked the gear change on many occasions but there is that explosive quick reaction and flowing movement that special players have (Weimans got it and I have a sense that Ssanwankambo might have it but we need more like them ) Hughes and Thorne have every ounce the same skill level but not quite the bounce - does anyone else get what I mean about those players that aren't affected by gravity quite as much as normal mortals ? ( yeah ok I know it's a crackpot theory ?

u wot m8

Baird is the new Eustace, not the most glamorous signings, didn't get the media attention that Ince and Weimann had, you won't see young fans walking around with Baird on the back of their shirts or see women drooling over him like Shackell. 

When he's out of the team you will know about it, some won't quite figure out what's missing but those with an eye like myself will. Just like Eustace last season. Others won't appreciate him, and look to blame Bent or Keogh.

Baird is a better version of Eustace.

Anyone wants to read my thoughts, I've started writing up games I've attended. Unlike the HITC guys I don't make a penny from this ;)

Feedback obviously welcome. Scrolling past and not reading is also equally welcome. I'm having fun with it, I also did the Northampton game from the other week if anyone also wants to check that.

http://aramseyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/pre-season-derby-county-1-1-villarreal.html

Anyone wants to read my thoughts, I've started writing up games I've attended. Unlike the HITC guys I don't make a penny from this ;)

Feedback obviously welcome. Scrolling past and not reading is also equally welcome. I'm having fun with it, I also did the Northampton game from the other week if anyone also wants to check that.

http://aramseyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/pre-season-derby-county-1-1-villarreal.html

good read mate 

Really enjoyed it as a friendly. Much better than some of the "blockbuster" ones we've had in recent years.

Hughes easily MOTM. Best player on the pitch, by a mile.

The defence (with the exception of Grant) looked very solid. Baird, in particular, really impressed me. If he keeps those kind of performances up, he's a nailed on starter for me and I'd even consider him for full-time captain.

Thorne and Hendrick did OK. Thorne still doesn't look 100% match fit and you could tell. Misplaced a few passes and some of his tackles were just wild at times.

Ince and Martin had off days but Weimann was another one who played really well. You can tell he's not the most natural of finishers and he resembles an over-excited child running after the ball at times but he will tear this league apart, mark my words. I can't see many Championship teams being able to cope with his sheer energy and pace.

Not a copy of the Grimsby goal against us but the shot that Villareal hit against the inside of the post highlights a problem to me. They had a man overlapping even though our back four were in line. Our midfield were slow to get into play where they could easily have helped in defence. How many men we have behind the ball is an issue. We saw quite a few goals go in at the end of last season when midfield players were spectating from ten yards away. All they have to do to help is close a man down. When Villareal scored last night Baird and Keogh waited to see what Grant was going to do, so the striker ran in unopposed from a starting position of one yard away from both our defenders.Conclusion is to get more men behind the ball and mark your man knowing that we have spare men around to pick up any loose balls. Is this too simple? I think not.

Not a copy of the Grimsby goal against us but the shot that Villareal hit against the inside of the post highlights a problem to me. They had a man overlapping even though our back four were in line. Our midfield were slow to get into play where they could easily have helped in defence. How many men we have behind the ball is an issue. We saw quite a few goals go in at the end of last season when midfield players were spectating from ten yards away. All they have to do to help is close a man down. When Villareal scored last night Baird and Keogh waited to see what Grant was going to do, so the striker ran in unopposed from a starting position of one yard away from both our defenders.Conclusion is to get more men behind the ball and mark your man knowing that we have spare men around to pick up any loose balls. Is this too simple? I think not.

In the highlights Hughes looked shattered and didn't want to track back.

By the way, the guy who got the rebound should've buried it with just one touch...

Archived