Derby County v Villarreal

i-Ram

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a very entertaining match, both sides playing some good stuff.

Keogh was superb, hopefully not being captain will help him get back to his best, will be immense with Shack's.

Hughes was brilliant and I thought he was quite aggressive in his marking at times which was nice to see.

Baird has the RB spot nailed for me and Christie will be a good backup.

Thought Warnock played well but Fozzy for me, he has more attacking ability.

Wiemann will crush some of these defenses once the season starts, so fast on and off the ball, his change of direction with the ball at times was brilliant.

Others have already pretty much said what i think with regards to the rest.

Not sure Grant could have done much with that shot though, it moved quite a bit, he got a hand to it, I thought the defense was a bit slow getting back/reacting. I agree his kicking at times was a bit off but it never led to a dangerous situation and to be honest ALL GK's have a few bad kicks in em, so i'll let him off.

All in all though a thoroughly enjoyable evening with my boy. Can't wait for Burton game.

So far 15 minutes into the match. So first thoughts.

• We seem a lot more considered on the ball. Players are tending to hold their position than play the free-flowing football under McClaren. Been a few times where we just needed another player to come towards the ball to relieve pressure.
  • Hughes looking immense so far, can't wait to see second half.
  • We look far more dangerous at set plays than before.
  • Ince is being marked out the game.
  • Diamond doesn't seem to change into a 4-4-2 when we don't have the ball. Leaves massive gaps in midfield so the bottom three of the diamond have to work their arses off.
  • Keogh seems to be the ball playing defender, Pearce is sitting back as the safety net.

For me, sending two centre halves up for corners, as we do, is the tried and tested way of having nobody back when the pacy opposition players race to the other end. Although Keogh makes a routine tackle or block look like a last ditch effort every time, he was nearly perfect last night. Pearce looks dangerous in the opposition box at corners and does not seem as quick as Keogh so leave Keogh on the half way line for our corners.I do not like Keogh running out with the ball, give it to Hughes or Thorne and have it done with. I remember Brian Clough telling one of his centre backs to head it away, kick it in the stand or pass it quickly to someone who could play football. Pearce is the perfect substitute when we are winning one nil against the run of play or we want to settle for a win or draw in the last twenty minutes.I have a feeling that Pearce could make life very difficult for an opposing midfielder who is controlling the game. Just let him man mark their strongest midfielder and rough him up as required. Pearce will do whatever job that he is asked to do to get  game. He may be a great replacement for Hendrick or Bryson when we are getting bullied.

Interesting that again Sswankambo was brought on ahead of Christie and even Shotton. Makes me wonder whether Christie may leave? 

Or play 90 minutes on Saturday (more likely)

For me, sending two centre halves up for corners, as we do, is the tried and tested way of having nobody back when the pacy opposition players race to the other end. Although Keogh makes a routine tackle or block look like a last ditch effort every time, he was nearly perfect last night. Pearce looks dangerous in the opposition box at corners and does not seem as quick as Keogh so leave Keogh on the half way line for our corners.I do not like Keogh running out with the ball, give it to Hughes or Thorne and have it done with. I remember Brian Clough telling one of his centre backs to head it away, kick it in the stand or pass it quickly to someone who could play football. Pearce is the perfect substitute when we are winning one nil against the run of play or we want to settle for a win or draw in the last twenty minutes.I have a feeling that Pearce could make life very difficult for an opposing midfielder who is controlling the game. Just let him man mark their strongest midfielder and rough him up as required. Pearce will do whatever job that he is asked to do to get  game. He may be a great replacement for Hendrick or Bryson when we are getting bullied.

What? No one leaves centre backs back from corners... you tend to leave the quicker players... for example the Christie's etc of the world.

What? No one leaves centre backs back from corners... you tend to leave the quicker players... for example the Christie's etc of the world.

Great idea if that works, which in my opinion is that it did not work with last thirteen games of last season and some evidence of it last night. See Keogh chasing back and not catching a speedy forward. Keogh does not do enough at our corners to justify him being so far forward.. We need to STOP what was giving idiotic goals away last season. This was 20% of the problem..

Great idea if that works, which in my opinion is that it did not work with last thirteen games of last season and some evidence of it last night. See Keogh chasing back and not catching a speedy forward. Keogh does not do enough at our corners to justify him being so far forward.. We need to STOP what was giving idiotic goals away last season. This was 20% of the problem..

This is all very confusing. Can you remind me of any goals we conceded from one of our own corners?

Yeah, think you're talking nonsense now.

Just trawled through the majority of post-match comments on here. Very encouraging signs! Delighted that Baird looked so good and we've a new Twitter parody to boot.

Also pleased Hendrick is getting back to his best, never saw the best of him consistently under McClaren. Also the returning injured players Martin and Thorne seem to have a generally good consensus. ALSO Keogh quieting the doubters to an extent.

Basically, I'm struggling for negatives. Buzzing for the 8th now!

This is all very confusing. Can you remind me of any goals we conceded from one of our own corners?

Breakaways from our corners so they scored at the other end because we did not get back quick enough. I may have dreamt those goals, it would seem We nearly lost such a goal last night, in my considered opinion.I will go for a nap, I may be short of sleep.:)

I seem to remember Christie not being back where he should be on numerous occasions.

Last night, both Baird and Keogh were standing next to the Villareal scorer and were very slow to react. Grant was too far off his line to palm the ball over the crossbar although the ball may have swerved.. Very poor goal.

I seem to remember Christie not being back where he should be on numerous occasions.

Last night, both Baird and Keogh were standing next to the Villareal scorer and were very slow to react. Grant was too far off his line to palm the ball over the crossbar although the ball may have swerved.. Very poor goal.

Wasn't really a breakaway from a corner though was it?

Interesting that again Sswankambo was brought on ahead of Christie and even Shotton. Makes me wonder whether Christie may leave? 

Nope. Playing on Saturday.

What was it then? Keogh caught at wrong end of the field is incredibly easy to solve. tell him to stay back and cover potential breakaways. How can that not be an improvement? We need to start this season without giving silly goals away even if we score less for the first seven or eight games, then as we hopefully gel and gain understanding between new players, we can make adjustments to score more goals. 

Baird is the new Eustace, not the most glamorous signings, didn't get the media attention that Ince and Weimann had, you won't see young fans walking around with Baird on the back of their shirts or see women drooling over him like Shackell. 

When he's out of the team you will know about it, some won't quite figure out what's missing but those with an eye like myself will. Just like Eustace last season. Others won't appreciate him, and look to blame Bent or Keogh.

What was it then? Keogh caught at wrong end of the field is incredibly easy to solve. tell him to stay back and cover potential breakaways. How can that not be an improvement? We need to start this season without giving silly goals away even if we score less for the first seven or eight games, then as we hopefully gel and gain understanding between new players, we can make adjustments to score more goals. 

What are you talking about? Grant making a mess of it and Derby players not following in were the cause. Nothing to do with Keogh being caught at the wrong end of the field.

Archived