Derby County v Villarreal

i-Ram

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we were absolutely excellent tonight by all accounts. Warnock stuck out like a sore thumb in the first 30 minutes, but was generally good after that. 

Biggest plus for me tonight was Chris Baird, I thought he was outstanding as captain and really good footballer. 

Midfield has an unbelievable amount of talent and we've just played a very good La Liga side off the park, and had it been another day could have come away 4-1 winners. 

Going to piss off a few now.

I thought that Warnock and Keogh were exceptional at the back.

They were Eddie. But haters are going to hate, and I see SRG in particular, and DEL to a lesser extent, still have it in for Warnock who played well tonight both positionally and with his controlled passing. Personally I would continue with Warnock at LB but whatever, it is really good that we now have someone who can push Fozzy hard for a first team place. He needs to be challenged.

I'll have to look at the goal again, but I didn't think it was Grant's mistake. It was definitely a difficult shot, but he saved it with his arm extended backwards and the momentum knocked him one way and the ball the next.

My disappointment was the reaction to the fall out. 

Grant 5 - had absolutely nothing to do minus an absolute howler. No one followed in but that has to go over the bar 

Baird 8 - brilliant. Honestly think we have found our solution to our right back issue. He is far pacier than I thought he would be, and has a great range of passing

Keogh 7 - top performance. Quiets the haters somewhat

Pearce 6 - few dodgy moments in the first half but overall solid

Warnock 4 - Dreadful. Out of position constantly, lacked pace, their number 7 had a jolly

Thorne 7 - he's back!! Brilliant. Passing range not 100% there but it's coming along nicely

Hendrick 6 - Solid, but sometimes held onto the ball for too long 

Hughes 9 - MOTM. Magnificent. After an indifferent pre season he has seemingly secured his starting position 

Ince 7 - lively. Nothing quite came off but he's going to be a force this season

Martin 7 - after he won his first free kick i giggled. Solid, standard Chrissy performance. 

Weimann 8 - very impressive. Reminds me of ward with a better final ball, endless energy. Lucky goal but they all count 

Russell was the standout sub, did well to bisect the defenders. Bents penalty was awful, and he must have been caught offside 5 times in his short stay on the pitch..

Grant - 5: No excuses for the goal, if a keeper gets two hands to a shot it should not lollipop over his head. 

Baird - 8.5: MOTM, looks to be a shrewd signing and I hope is our captain come Bolton. 

Keogh - 7.5: Good game, the usual Keogh fancy footwork we're used to. Only one slight error when he was hesitant and it nearly let them in. 

Pearce - 7: Good game, one misplaced pass that gave them the ball in a dangerous area. Was a good performance but Keogh was the better of the two for me. 

Warnock - 6: Decent showing, needs to stop flying into challenges so recklessly. If it wasn't pre season his challenge would have been a yellow (saved from a red by the fact Pearce was moving across to cover).

Thorne - 6: Not sure what performance some were watching but this was as far from trademark Thorne as we're likely to get. Good for him to get minutes but a lot of misplaced passes. 

Hughes - 7: Constantly sucked into the middle of the park and struggled with knowing where he should be positioned when we didnt have possession however he was very good in the second half including a brilliant quick free kick. 

Hendrick - 6.5: Struggled to get into the game as much as I would hope. Same as Hughes regarding the positional sense when defending. 

Ince - 7: Good assist for Weimann, nice touches here and there a bit quiet but still played reasonably well. 

Weimann - 8: Will give defenders nightmares in the championship. The guy has a work ethic to match Russell but with a little bit more quality. Would like to see him finish his chance first time of asking but they all count I guess. 

Martin - 7: quiet game by his standards but some lovely hold up play. Strayed over to the left wing far too much for my liking, he's wasted on the touchline. 

Hughes an absolute joy to watch. Best player on the pitch by some way.
Baird solid.
Weimann lively. 
Bent very lazy penalty and some poorly timed runs. 
Grant should have done better but it was a good strike. Weak hand?

All in all, very good performance against a pretty decent side. Should have won it. 

It was good to see nice getting stuck in tonight. Weimann was full of running. Martin was class at taking the ball and laying it off. Hughes was everywhere, had. A great game. Thorne is getting there and can still go up a gear or too. Baird looked solid at RB. Warnock was poor in first 15 mins but came into the game and I thought it was his best performance to date but needs to be better. Keogh and Pearce both did good but had moments of stupidity. Hendricks average game. Grant didn't have much to do but should have pushed the shot wide and his distribution was lacking at times. Overall a good team performance and a shame Bents penalty wasn't better. Russell and Hanson both did well when they came on and swanko was steady when he came on.

It's only a friendly mate.

and a good performance by everyone overall, looking positive as we get ever closer to the season commencing ,not having a dig (to much at Grant) just thought his performance wasn't on a par to any of the other performances put in by the team tonight,be it lack of confidence ,match fitness or misfortune

Grant 5 - had absolutely nothing to do minus an absolute howler. No one followed in but that has to go over the bar 

Baird 8 - brilliant. Honestly think we have found our solution to our right back issue. He is far pacier than I thought he would be, and has a great range of passing

Keogh 7 - top performance. Quiets the haters somewhat

Pearce 6 - few dodgy moments in the first half but overall solid

Warnock 4 - Dreadful. Out of position constantly, lacked pace, their number 7 had a jolly

Thorne 7 - he's back!! Brilliant. Passing range not 100% there but it's coming along nicely

Hendrick 6 - Solid, but sometimes held onto the ball for too long 

Hughes 9 - MOTM. Magnificent. After an indifferent pre season he has seemingly secured his starting position 

Ince 7 - lively. Nothing quite came off but he's going to be a force this season

Martin 7 - after he won his first free kick i giggled. Solid, standard Chrissy performance. 

Weimann 8 - very impressive. Reminds me of ward with a better final ball, endless energy. Lucky goal but they all count 

Russell was the standout sub, did well to bisect the defenders. Bents penalty was awful, and he must have been caught offside 5 times in his short stay on the pitch..

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and I always value yours NSR, but I think you have got a blind spot if you think Warnock was a 4 tonight.  At least a 6 tonight, probably a 7 IMO.  

Strange how perceptions differ, isn't it? 

I wasn't sure about whether Grant made a mistake for the goal. Watching on TV, we only saw the shot from the side, not from behind the goal. The ball could have swerved dramatically, it might not, so I'll give Grant a pass on that one for now.

And I thought Warnock had a solid game. Or maybe he had a bad game. What do I know, eh?

Of course, its possible that our prejudices might distort the way that we view individual players that we either like or dislike. But I think that its an objective fact that we played well tonight. And that a grey v-neck jumper with a crisp white shirt underneath looks rather snazzy. I'll be rocking that look on Friday night. 

In my opinion that's pretty close to the side we see vs Bolton in just over a week.

A possible swap of Carson for Grant, Shackell for either of the CBs and Forsyth for Warnock, but other than that we look good to go with what we had on show tonight.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and I always value yours NSR, but I think you have got a blind spot if you think Warnock was a 4 tonight.  At least a 6 tonight, probably a 7 IMO.  

Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but all our problems came down the left in the first half. Keogh and Pearce did very well to deal with the crosses. He did improve second half! 

Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but all our problems came down the left in the first half. Keogh and Pearce did very well to deal with the crosses. He did improve second half! 

I only got a stream from about the 20th minute on, so I am conscious I am rating him and the team on the 70 mins I got to see.  But overall I felt we looked like a very solid team tonight and with a few more games under their belts you can imagine that Martin, Weimann and Ince will build a great understanding and cause tremendous problems to many a team this season.   I wonder who this "mystery player" might be, and where he fits in - I still think it has to be a midfielder.

Archived