James McClean - More Controversy

Scott129

Yeah, the flag is a difficult one. In his mind, it probably stands for exactly the same thing as the poppies, even though he's wrong.

But, like you say, he has his reasons and he's stuck to them. This uproar is probably the last thing he actually wanted when doing it.

It's a very difficult issue. How would we feel if a professional from the Falkland Islands refused to face the Argentinian flag? Almost everyone agrees that our FA were out of order when they forced England players to salute the Nazi Germany flag in the 30s.

You're right in that it comes down to what the flag represents, which is subjective.

I think West Brom and McClean should've been smarter in how this was handled though. They know McClean has issues with these kind of symbols, so why not let him wait in the dressing room for an extra few minutes and come out just before kick off?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The flag probably shouldn't be too much of a surprise. His comments around opting for the Republic over Northern Ireland made reference to the flag and the national anthem being prevalent at NI games. 

If if it were just the poppy then I'd probably have more sympathy but as it is, he just comes across as being anti-British, despite his protests to the contrary, probably because in his mind he can't separate the British establishment from the British people, or country at large.

He is clearly anti-British. I.e. Racist?

he is welcome to his own beliefs but it does seem to be the height of hypocrisy to work in the nation you despise and take the money.

He wishes to continue to live in the past.

Should we refuse to face the german flag or the french flag or the argentinian flag?

if we refused to respect the Irish flag at an international there would be uproar.

Would be interesting to see what stance he took when the opponents anthem was played. Which was probably the star spangled banner. A flag and anthem from a country that is also not "frightened" of their actions in a times of war !  

Unless you experience something like Bloody Sunday yourself you really have no context from which to build your opinions on his actions. 

Same people whinging about his actions are probably those who wanted Scotland to become independent. The union means very little to most people nowadays. 

Hold on, aren't they in America?

that pictures obviously during the home national anthem, the photographers are standing with the right arms across their chest in the background.

i think the American  national anthem is played before most things in America isnt it?

most of the other players look uninterested too.

but let's not let this get in the way of anything.

Just another attention seeking stunt in case we didn't already know he has issues with the UK. Yes James we get it. . . give it a f*****g rest! 

Not wearing a poppy, fine, it's his perogative but to physically turn your back during a national anthem. . . In a f*****g friendly. . . get a grip! just stand there and hum a bit of river dance or something, you have to stand there for like 30 seconds.

helmet 

Why play the national anthem and have a flag shown anyhow? Is the UK turning into some Jingoistic America-wannabe or something? 

If people feel strongly about it, I don't see why anyone would be offended by them sitting out. He didn't do anything offensive, he simply didn't join in. 

Part of nationalism, and part of anything like this is that it should by it's very definition be entirely optional to people. This "you must respect the flag" nonsense doesn't help anything, and forcing it down people's throats simply makes the gesture meaningless, regardless of your feelings about it. 

Perhaps. But I'd imagine the fact that many of his innocent fellow countrymen were massacred would stick out more in his mind.

People always remember the worst.

The fact that many of his innocent fellow countrymen who were massacred fell at the hands of his less-than-innocent fellow countrymen shouldn't be ignored either.

Talbot Street, 17 May, 1974

I suppose, in James McClean's mind, you're not a 'fellow countryman' if you belong to a different religious cult.

Can't wait for the annual McClean poppy debate in a few months.

I don't like religious leaflets and people knocking at my door trying to force their beliefs on me so why should I expect McClean or any other player be forced to stand to my countries national anthem and wear a poppy? 

No national anthems before club games where they involve players from different countries and backgrounds and allow players to safely pin poppy's on their shirts if they wish. Don't force printed shirts on the players and in turn fans should respect the players choice to wear or not wear one. 

This should be extended to TV and celebrities, because they are in entertainment they must wear a poppy? no. They should be able to have a choice which should be respected, not forced to wear one to please others.

Just another attention seeking stunt in case we didn't already know he has issues with the UK. Yes James we get it. . . give it a f*****g rest! 

Not wearing a poppy, fine, it's his perogative but to physically turn your back during a national anthem. . . In a f*****g friendly. . . get a grip! just stand there and hum a bit of river dance or something, you have to stand there for like 30 seconds.

helmet 

He didn't do this

How dare he not show respect to that piece of cloth? Doesn't he know that's a special piece of cloth that represents....well I don't really know what he's supposed to think and feel when he's supposed to face it during the national anthem. But he should be thinking and feeling it anyway and have pride to be playing in a country that loves that cloth, even though he considers many of the acts committed to his people in the name of that cloth to be atrocious. Shameful. I bloody love that cloth you know.

And for the record, I love the Union Jack as a design. I have loads of Union JackJack stuff. And if it were me, I would face it.

Actually on second thought, if it were me, now knowing that McClean is getting stick, I'd refuse to face it too. My reasoning? Didn't feel like it. Just didn't want to. Couldn't be bothered. Only a bit of cloth, what's the fuss?

Archived