James McClean - More Controversy

Scott129

James McClean is back in the limelight, this time for refusing to face the Union Jack during the national anthem before WBA's friendly.

You may remember that he refused to wear a poppy on his shirt last year and, subsequently, recieved death threats over it.

CKN1tEZWoAASL2O.jpg

And these are his reasons...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/07/wigan-james-mcclean-poppy-bolton

Obviously, there's absolute outrage on Twitter. "Should go back to his own country", "disrespectful ****", etc etc.

Personally, I'm absolutely fine with it - freedom of expression and all that. I don't even think it's that disrespectful either, to be honest. For him, his family and the people from his town, it probably brings back nothing but bad memories. I am quite liberal when it comes to things like this though :p

I'm just interested to know what everyone else thinks. Do you respect his decision? Do you think it's justified? Do you even care?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I defend his right to take the action. However, I'm on the other side of the argument, and I assert my right to call him a ******* ****.

That's fair. Would you act differently if you were him?

It's a good question, and I would like to think I'd accept the peace process and move on - you can't fight old wars forever. But I'm not him so who knows?

I might be in the minority but I respect his decision. It's obviously something that he feels passionate about.

I agree with you.

I find the idea of making people who aren't actually from this country stand and stare at our flag out of respect almost tyrannical.

Like "Hey, I know you have no connection with this flag (or, if anything, a negative one) but you need to stand there and show it respect otherwise you're scum and you'll get death threats".

His comments on the Poppy issue;

“I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist

No, not respecting the British flag doesn't seem anti-British at all.

Must take all his willpower to play for a British football team and have his wages paid in Sterling.

His comments on the Poppy issue;

I think the idea of just looking down or not taking part in something is pretty neutral. If he'd have stuck two fingers up at the flag or drawn a cross over the poppy, that would be anti-British. "Anti", to me, means that you're going out of your way to show feelings of hate to something. I don't get that from this.

As for the money thing, that's a terrible argument. So, if you don't agree with something about this country or the monarchy or whatever, you can't get money from it? Despite doing your job?

What he gets paid is irrelevant, as that's not down to him. Of course they get paid too much but blame the market for that.

As for the money thing, that's a terrible argument. So, if you don't agree with something about this country or the monarchy or whatever, you can't get money from it? Despite doing your job?

The poppy, the flag, these are symbols that are far removed from anyone who was physically involved in the actions that he takes exception to. I'm wondering where he draws the line. Does he refuse to carry money around or engage in monetary transactions for fear of having to offend his wallet with notes or coins with a monarch's head on them? 

He's anti war plain and simple, he grew up near a massacre committed against his fellow countrymen including innocent people. Our forces died for free speech and free expression, calling him scum just makes you an ignorant bellend. He can not partake if he feels that way, that's his right.

The poppy, the flag, these are symbols that are far removed from anyone who was physically involved in the actions that he takes exception to. I'm wondering where he draws the line. Does he refuse to carry money around or engage in monetary transactions for fear of having to offend his wallet with notes or coins with a monarch's head on them? 

I'd agree with the flag but not so much with the poppy. The whole point of them is to remember those who have fought in battles and wars - there's a direct link there.

I'd imagine he draws the line at anything that isn't an outward or public display of respect for it.

Why was there a flag? Most teams are multinational these days. I have no allegiance to any flag than my own. I respect other flags but for a multinational team, fly all the flags of the countries represented or none at all perhaps..

Why was there a flag? Most teams are multinational these days. I have no allegiance to any flag than my own. I respect other flags but for a multinational team, fly all the flags of the countries represented or none at all perhaps..

Good point actually. I assume that's in America. You know what they're like for overblown patriotism.

I'd agree with the flag but not so much with the poppy. The whole point of them is to remember those who have fought in battles and wars - there's a direct link there.

I'd imagine he draws the line at anything that isn't an outward or public display of respect for it.

Perhaps he should remember that 200,000 Irish men fought in the Great War. Over 90,000 men and women served in World War II as well. 

Perhaps he should remember that 200,000 Irish men fought in the Great War. Over 90,000 men and women served in World War II as well. 

Perhaps. But I'd imagine the fact that many of his innocent fellow countrymen were massacred would stick out more in his mind.

People always remember the worst.

In one way I admire him for taking a stance. I can understand his argument regarding the poppy. Many people think of it as an anti war message, and it is in part, but the proceeds go to the British Legion. I'm not saying that's bad, but it shows the poppy is intrinsically linked with our armed forces, so I can see why McClean takes issue .

The flag is not so easy to comprehend. The flag represents the UK in it's entirety. As StaffsRam pointed out, it's difficult to believe that he doesn't hate the British when he can't even bring himself to face the Union Jack.

In one way I admire him for taking a stance. I can understand his argument regarding the poppy. Many people think of it as an anti war message, and it is in part, but the proceeds go to the British Legion. I'm not saying that's bad, but it shows the poppy is intrinsically linked with our armed forces, so I can see why McClean takes issue .

The flag is not so easy to comprehend. The flag represents the UK in it's entirety. As StaffsRam pointed out, it's difficult to believe that he doesn't hate the British when he can't even bring himself to face the Union Jack.

Yeah, the flag is a difficult one. In his mind, it probably stands for exactly the same thing as the poppies, even though he's wrong.

But, like you say, he has his reasons and he's stuck to them. This uproar is probably the last thing he actually wanted when doing it.

Archived