James McClean - More Controversy

Scott129

In my opinion it is totally and deliberately disrespectful for him to turn his back on a flag in this manner. Nobody is insisting that he looks at a flag or sings the national anthem of his country, but to show this disrespect is immature and pathetic.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all those that criticise him taking a wage in England... Are you quite happy letting the government taking 45% tax off him to pay for services etc we may use?

Absolutely!!! Should take off another 35% idiot tax as well.

The video is on page 3 of this thread. Yes, he is.

To be fair, he's just not actively turning to it. So he probably thinks it's okay. Cost he's an idiot. In reality it's basically amounts to the same thing. I honestly think it's totally hypocritical. You'd boycott the event rather than do that, if you really had an issue. But then he wouldn't get paid, so he can't do that. 

McLean has not committed a crime just made in my view a bad decision as again he has bought unneeded focus on himself and his principles rather than his footballing skills.

He is not necessarily wrong but should in my opinion really follow the rest of his multi-national team mates and show unity.

WBA could have course protected him better from the current attention. As many people know his feelings from the poppy incident why not just make him a substitute.

As I have previously said his actions would not be tolerated in other parts of the world , whether that is right or wrong is not for people like me , Albert or Andy in Liverpool to cast judgement. It is up the majority in those countries.

All in all I would imagine WBA are glad they only paid 1.5m for him, a bargain for his ability but maybe expensive as team player. Will be interesting to see the UK crowds reaction over the coming season if these kind of things continue to happen  

McLean has not committed a crime just made in my view a bad decision as again he has bought unneeded focus on himself and his principles rather than his footballing skills.

He is not necessarily wrong but should in my opinion really follow the rest of his multi-national team mates and show unity.

WBA could have course protected him better from the current attention. As many people know his feelings from the poppy incident why not just make him a substitute.

As I have previously said his actions would not be tolerated in other parts of the world , whether that is right or wrong is not for people like me , Albert or Andy in Liverpool to cast judgement. It is up the majority in those countries.

All in all I would imagine WBA are glad they only paid 1.5m for him, a bargain for his ability but maybe expensive as team player. Will be interesting to see the UK crowds reaction over the coming season if these kind of things continue to happen  

I don't know what else he could have really done. He obviously feels very strongly against it and I'm not sure there's a better way to act than what he actually did. Maybe staying in the tunnel/dressing room? But that would have probably been more obvious.

He'll get booed for it, no doubt. Even by the majority of his own fans.

If this is just a personal thing for him , then why not stand in line with his team mates , head down thinking whatever he wants to think and ignoring the flag. No body would know then and he would not have stood out , by standing out even in a "peaceful protest" he draws other peoples attention to his private views and therefore potentially influences others.

No, he's not. He's just not facing it.

Are people in this thread trolling me? Just watch the bloody video. All the West Brom players are stood in line, presumably facing the flags. Upon the start of the anthem McClean turns through 90 degrees and bows his head. No one else moves or turns. And do not play semantics with me. I am aware that turning through 90 degrees means he doesn't technically have his back to the flag, but the symbolism is plain as day.

Are people in this thread trolling me? Just watch the bloody video. All the West Brom players are stood in line, presumably facing the flags. Upon the start of the anthem McClean turns through 90 degrees and bows his head. No one else moves or turns. And do not play semantics with me. I am aware that turning through 90 degrees means he doesn't technically have his back to the flag, but the symbolism is plain as day.

Turning your back to something is not the same as not facing it. Turning your back would be disrespecting it, not facing it is simply ignoring it. 

The whole situation shouldn't have happened in the first place as they shouldn't have been doing any of that at a football match in the first place. It's not an international match, it's a club friendly, and he should never have been put in that position. Ultimately I'd say he dealt with it respectfully, while respecting his family. There was nothing offensive about it. 

I agree with you in that West Brom should be dealing with this better, they should be protecting him. I have no idea why they allow all this to happen, but as it's happened a few times now, I'd be tempted to think that they're actually doing it to allow the silent protest to be a bit more visible for him, and there's nothing wrong with that if it's the case. 

I really don't know why you keep bringing up "other parts of the world", as in much of the world such would be tolerated, and in many places could end up being celebrated by some groups. It's irrelevant though as he's not some foreign national in a far away place, he's a UK national from a border region who has a very justified concern that is being highlighted by such events. Whether you agree with him or not, you surely have to be able to understand where the concerns are. 

To me he did it in the most respectful manner he could, and he has done it in the most respectful manner possible from the start. To me the disrespectful part is expecting him to join in from the start, particularly the poppies, as to me actually just expecting everyone to wear one (or the image) is disrespectful to those who gave their lives. Such displays should be given willingly and by choice, not seen as something that we must do. By making people do it, potentially against their will you sap all meaning from the display, which is a far greater insult than someone silently turning and bowing their head during an anthem. 

It isn't just a flag it is symbolic of the freedom and democracy this country stands for.If he lives here and works here he should have some respect for this country otherwise he is free to move to the Irish Republic where he clearly feels right at home.

Archived