Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shotton should be off on his tod way before Keogh. And I'd rather see Keogh stay over Buxton, if necessary. Though I'd like to see 4 CBs as Buxton, Keogh, Shackell and Pearce. We have that at the moment so please leave the CBs alone Paul - lets get a new DM and RB!

Shacks is back - awesome signing for me - a defender that defends - row z'd it if need be - just get the fooker away. 

He was our best CB last season though.

don't deny that but to be fair last year  it wouldn't have taken much and if Bucko had played more I doubt it. But compared to shackle no chance, don't know much about Pearce other than he doesn't care which side he plays on which could be very handy.

Right, as a little night time television, I went on Player HD and watched Burnley away at Arsenal. 

Burnley lost 3-0, with three goals being scored in the last 20 minutes, so I thought it would show both positive and negative sides of Shackell.  

First of all, I will rate the rest of the team: 

Heaton - 7 - he made some good saves and was kept busy from long range. He didn't look all that good when the ball was floated into the box. 

Stephen Ward - 3 - irritating. He's got two moves when he's on the ball; pass it backwards to Shackell or kick it high down the line. The lack of footballing ability was evident, yet he could get away with it if he was a decent defender. He isn't. 

Duff - 4 - he's a head and kick defender. It wouldn't take months of scouting to work that out. he's got one pass. 

Trippier - 5 - now, I've seen Trippier have some good games. This was definitely not one of them. overhit passes, at fault for the first goal and wasted the ball quite a bit. 

Jones, Marney and Arfield - 5 - I don't know what you can say about them really. It's not like they're blessed with ability, but they work hard. 

Boyd - 7 - he's reckless and should have been sent off in the first 30 minutes, but he's got ability. 

Ings - 7 - tidy player, came deep and did his bit. 

Sordell - 4 - all I'm going to say is that he could wear a shirt with 'ROBINSON 21' and I would think I've gone back in time. 

------

Now, Shackell. I knew the Arsenal game would be a good one to watch as they're very tactical in their attacks. I wanted to see him organising and ordering his teammates - and he did this very well. 

The balance aspect is a huge one. He knows where to be and he knows how to follow and organise the backline. I'd say despite playing next to two incredibly limited defenders, in Ward and Duff, he did well. 

Also, it's worth mentioning that he made more clearances in this game than any other player in the Premier League that weekend. 

Distribution - I thought this would be a problem, but he's more controlled than I remember him. Even under pressure, he was able to hit a claret and blue shirt and not panic. When he had time, he would look for a defensive midfielder. It was just incredibly steady. 

The thing that made me smile, mind, was the Burnley fans suggesting that he's at fault for them conceding so many crosses. In this particular game, he cleared absolutely everything that was in his vicinity. Trippier and Duff were out jumped by ALEXIS SANCHEZ for the first goal. The second was cross that was defended then put back in and the third was Arfield (I think) not tracking Sanchez. 

Maybe I just saw a good performance from him, but he dealt with a hell of a lot of **** and put his body on the line. At corners, he went man for man on Mertesacker and didn't lose out and didn't shy away once. 

If anyone has Ramsplayer then it's worth watching, if you have the stomach, as it shows just what Shackell is about. 

I doubt whether its even possible for keogh to get a fair hearing anymore but i would suggest that he is the only natural sweeper we've got and in a 541 - in the prem? - he could come into his own.

e.g.

...................................CARSON

...................................KEOGH

BAIRD.........PEARCE.............SHACKELL..........FORSYTH

..................................THORNE

..................INCE........................HUGHES

..................................WEIMANN

.................................MARTIN

I doubt whether its even possible for keogh to get a fair hearing anymore but i would suggest that he is the only natural sweeper we've got and in a 541 - in the prem? - he could come into his own.

e.g.

...................................CARSON

...................................KEOGH

BAIRD.........PEARCE.............SHACKELL..........FORSYTH

..................................THORNE

..................INCE........................HUGHES

..................................WEIMANN

.................................MARTIN

I can see your thinking but the problem with playing so many defenders is you cede possession to the opposition who will have more in midfield. Of your team, only Thorne really protects the back four and for those who say Hughes can tackle, don't make me laugh We would end up playing long ball stuff which doesn't suit us. I think Keogh alongside Shackell would be just fine. Pearce is solid back-up.

I can see your thinking but the problem with playing so many defenders is you cede possession to the opposition who will have more in midfield. Of your team, only Thorne really protects the back four and for those who say Hughes can tackle, don't make me laugh We would end up playing long ball stuff which doesn't suit us. I think Keogh alongside Shackell would be just fine. Pearce is solid back-up.

when playing chelsea and man city etc we won't have the ball......and ok.....you can select whoever you want, the point i was making was two centrebacks plus a sweeper ( with proper fullbacks and a DM) for a really solid set up.

(Edit) Reply to Ramnut's last post...

Let's see how we do against Charlton and Preston shall we. However, a few of us would be amused if you could give us your ideal team and formation for the knockout stages of a Champions League game against say Real and Bayern.

Archived