Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players want to ply their trade at the highest level and Jason figures Derby are a better bet than Burnley, it's as simple as that.  Better training facilities, coach and company are an added incentive.  One season's paycheck matters but placing all the emphasis on that as Dyche attempts is laughable folly, but i'm glad he went there, it just reinforces my opinion of him.

Just hope his wife settles well ,cultural differences ,different food and climate and not forgetting the language barrier having lived in Burnley ,wouldn't want him turning into another Tosa  lol.

Beat me to it. Shackell says Dyche gave him some steel though so he won't stand for any of that nonsense

Players want to ply their trade at the highest level and Jason figures Derby are a better bet than Burnley, it's as simple as that.  Better training facilities, coach and company are an added incentive.  One season's paycheck matters but placing all the emphasis on that as Dyche attempts is laughable folly, but i'm glad he went there, it just reinforces my opinion of him.

Stop talking sense man... this isn't the place for it...

if we get promoted which I think we have a good chance it'll be worth it. Still another season or two at least IMO.

Was solid when playing with us could not believe we got rid! Shackell and Pearce in defence please.

Burnley paid 1.5m for Everton striker Chris Long yesterday.

Vossen 2.5m

Lowton 1.5m

Long 1.5m

Now, they have also bid 3m for Lansbury, 350k for a Wimbledon striker and are interested in "2m rated" Nathan Baker. 

If they are successful with those bids, their spending will be around 11m, exceeding our current expenditure. I know they have sold players, but Dyche saying we're buying the league is laughable based on this

Burnley paid 1.5m for Everton striker Chris Long yesterday.

Vossen 2.5m

Lowton 1.5m*

Long 1.5m*

Now, they have also bid 3m for Lansbury, 350k for a Wimbledon striker and are interested in "2m rated" Nathan Baker. 

If they are successful with those bids, their spending will be around 11m, exceeding our current expenditure. I know they have sold players, but Dyche saying we're buying the league is laughable based on this

Kind of negated your own point there...

Burnley have sold players at a value of over £11 million, roughly £11.5 million (once sell on clauses are taken into account, Trippier money to Man City, and assuming we get the £6 million for Ings that Liverpool offered to avoid tribunal).

So as things stand we've made a transfer profit of over £6 million.  So we can spend a further £6 million and still be roughly £10 million shy of the amount Derby have spent on transfer fees.  That's before you consider wages and I'd assume that Bent, Weimann, Ince and Shackell will be on more individually than Lowton, Vossen and Long given that we couldn't match the wages you offered Shackell, and of those you've signed he would have been on the smallest contract at his previous club (ignoring Carson and Baird)

So not really sure what you're getting at.

*Lowton was reported to be £1 million and Long is appearance based up to a cost of £1.5 million.

Burnley have sold players at a value of over £11 million, roughly £11.5 million (once sell on clauses are taken into account, Trippier money to Man City, and assuming we get the £6 million for Ings that Liverpool offered to avoid tribunal).

So as things stand we've made a transfer profit of over £6 million.  So we can spend a further £6 million and still be roughly £10 million shy of the amount Derby have spent on transfer fees.  That's before you consider wages and I'd assume that Bent, Weimann, Ince and Shackell will be on more individually than Lowton, Vossen and Long given that we couldn't match the wages you offered Shackell, and of those you've signed he would have been on the smallest contract at his previous club (ignoring Carson and Baird)

*Lowton was reported to be £1 million and Long is appearance based up to a cost of £1.5 million.

what are the burnley fans still doing here? I thought they would go after the shackell battle was won? ;)

yeah I thought what's the point in saying that when your net spend isn't that much as well.

But just like you've sold players, we could sell if we wanted to to as well. With the FFP rules being revised (which i'm pretty sure we didn't vote for by the way, our old CEO Tom Glick was practically the ambassador for FFP in this division) we have got 3 years to get the most out of this squad and have that same time to sell players on long contracts to generate more money than we've spent if it doesn't work out.

Dyche is clever at spotting players with potential and he is a good motivator. I would like to know what Burnley's strategy with the £130 million is going to be.

To be honest I'm not sure whether Dyche is clever at spotting players with potential, that's not been proven yet.  By that I mean he hasn't really signed many "one's for the future" previously with Ings, Vokes and Trippier were all Eddie Howe's signings.  We haven't been in a position since Dyche took over to earmark a chunk of the budget for "potential" players.

What Dyche has proven (Sordell aside ;) ) in the transfer market is that he's very good at spotting players who aren't playing at their full potential and then getting the best out of them (Arfield, Heaton, Jones, Boyd, Barnes).

He's also shown in Ings, Vokes and Trippier he can develop young players.  Whether he can find those players too we'll see.

We look like we're moving to sign players with potential this season so I think we'll see whether he's got that in his locker - that's unlikely to be obvious this season or even next.  We have our fair share of impatient ****** who'll forget that Ings spent 2 seasons swapping between sick-note and impact sub, and that Vokes was the plan B hit and hope target man prior to 2013/14.  Long, Keane, Agyei and Sinclair (if they sign) will be the litmus test.

The £130 million figure is misleading because it's spread out a lot and a lot of it is absorbed with operating costs associated with Premier League football.  We've spent a lot of money (by our standards) on the stadium and a new training ground and I think of what's left from any player spending this season a lot will be stockpiled to keep us competitive for a few years after parachute payments run out.  It took 5 years last time and if he hadn't been promoted then we'd have had to ship out all our assets and operate with a below average Championship budget - we'll be trying to avoid getting into that situation again.

yeah I thought what's the point in saying that when your net spend isn't that much as well.

But just like you've sold players, we could sell if we wanted to to as well. With the FFP rules being revised (which i'm pretty sure we didn't vote for by the way, our old CEO Tom Glick was practically the ambassador for FFP in this division) we have got 3 years to get the most out of this squad and have that same time to sell players to generate more money than we've spent if it doesn't work out.

That's true, you've gone at this the other way around than us - though to be fair we didn't have much choice in the matter.

If you sell then we could end up with similar transfer spending, though I'd guess your wage bill would be higher.  

The danger of your approach is you'd be selling from a weaker position than you'd been in before you spent as the buying club know you need the money/players off the books.  We have the opposite problem, sellers know we have money from player sales and have gaps to fill so crank up their prices.  So no approach is perfect but we'd say that we've at least got the balance sorted in advance unlike the Derby approach.  That said you have much more of a financial safety net than we do so can afford to approach it the other way*.

*and if you're planning on buying more than your are selling then it makes sense to avoid inflated fees where possible

If parallel universes do exist in infinite numbers, surely in one of them, Burnley would be the top football team in the world in one of them. Infinity is a very large number with lots of noughts in it, especially towards the end. I have just made this definition up  and it is a variant of another joke in which eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.(Woody Allen). :)

Archived