Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see your thinking but the problem with playing so many defenders is you cede possession to the opposition who will have more in midfield. Of your team, only Thorne really protects the back four and for those who say Hughes can tackle, don't make me laugh We would end up playing long ball stuff which doesn't suit us. I think Keogh alongside Shackell would be just fine. Pearce is solid back-up.

Our most successful period of playing top teams was under Smith. We took the attitude of offence is the best defence. We had a solid back four, if memory serves me correct it was the likes of Rowett, Laursen, Stimac and Powell, decent keepers and we just went on and scored enough goals to win and draw games.

If we was to play top team again I'd hope for a similar attitude. Let our creative players create, maybe concede 1 or 2 but score 3. It always made for great occasions!

Just hope he's stopped with the turning his back when players look like shooting, he drove me mad with that in his one season with us. Don't hold to much hope though as i saw him do that a few times for Burnley last season(regardless of how many blocks he got in).

Its my pet hate with defenders when they turn away when someone shoots, as much as i detest Terry thats something he never does

Was there a sell-on clause when he was transferred to Burnley -could go some way to explaining an inflated fee?

I'm not sure it could. As we would be the club benefitting from the clause, surely it's the same thing?

Im not sure it could. As we would be the club benefitting from the clause, surely it's the same thing?

I would guess that, if there was a clause, it would be irrelevant who the buying club was going to be so to nullify that benefit to us and dis-benefit to Burnley, we cough up a bit more on the fee?

There again, maybe there was no clause in the original transfer.

Just a thought to while away the time before the next transfer stampede which has now become the norm

Burnley have just proven their not going to miss Shackell by losing to Chesterfield 3-2. 

If Shackell had been there, they would have at least conceded 5 or 6, so fair play to them. 

:ph34r:

This can't be right!

Surely they've made some mistake, it was Shackell's fault they conceded so many crosses. They won't concede any now he's gone

Just hope he's stopped with the turning his back when players look like shooting, he drove me mad with that in his one season with us. Don't hold to much hope though as i saw him do that a few times for Burnley last season(regardless of how many blocks he got in).

Its my pet hate with defenders when they turn away when someone shoots, as much as i detest Terry thats something he never does

You would do the same if you had a face like his.

Archived