Expectations of the new coach

For me, we've just got to look like contenders in the top 6 for the first season. Play the right way, attack the opposition, get into the race. If we fall short, then the next year is when we push on.

I do think we overachieved a little bit in 13/14, but this past season we underachieved a bit. I think we're a top 6 team but we're not nailed on champions elect like people thought last season. When you consider that there may be new tactics needed and players needing to adapt, I'd take 6th. But we're capable of beating anyone in this league anytime and anywhere so the sky is the limit.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​He has the team. it may not be his team but we know that it is a team capable of challenging in this league.

I would hate to think that we have to go through yet another long and lengthy rebuilding process.

I'm sorry Daveo, but there is simply no way that our board would be giving somebody that type of contract if they were expecting him to have to build his team.

Clement must be thinking his lucky stars at the opportunity he has been presented with. A team full of players who are more than capable with very little tinkering to do.

All they require is a decent shape, he needs to learn his best eleven and to make sure he has a plan B.

If we are not in the premiership within 2 seasons at the very most, I would expect he'll receive his marching orders.

2 seasons and in the Premier League works for me, gives him 2 full summers to work on the squad. I wasn't thinking 4 seasons with a major rebuild, just lowered expectations for his first season and not to get the sack if we don't finish top 6.

Reading through this thread already seeing fans expecting top 6 at least, I'm going to enjoy the season and expect nothing, I did that in McClaren's first season which made it more enjoyable and I don't think I was alone which is what made the atmosphere around the club so special compared to last season.

I am happy if he just makes us less predictable in the way we play, and explains to a certain member of the defence that if he is to keep his place in the team / club, then he needs to play on his feet and not his botty!!!

My expectations are that he will begin by rebuilding the confidence of our existing players as that will take us three quarters of the way to promotion.

Next to coach the best football possible out of those players.

Then to assess where there is still a problem (i.e. not good enough) and make the tough decision to replace those players.

Attractive attacking football along the way would hopefully be inevitable! 

Derby fans will always moan and complain but will usually stick by the manager until the wheels have come off or there’s clear evidence of incompetence. Other than social media bunnies with axes to grind, we’re generally supportive and prepared to give managers a chance.

It’s the board that are looking more impatient these days.

​I'm like the leader of the Green Party surrounded by Labour voters that want everything regardless of the financial implications and they want it all now!

Sure I'll get a few votes but my voice won't be heard above the boo's if we are not top by September

​wot, you suffering from "brain fade" anorl......

If hasn't played eight different systems in the first three games he may as well quit. He must also publicly denounce Keogh as a competent centre back within the first four hours of managing us or he will never be successful. And he must sign Drogba.

Expectations are three-fold

- we will have fewer examples of abject away displays such as Boro, Leeds, Fulham where we didn't seem motivated or tactically aware

- we will be able to discern at least 2 discrete formations/styles and observe a degree of comfort in each that stops us talking about "no plan B"

- he will be straightforward and direct in his dealings and utterances outside of the team environment so we do not get the repeat of the hysterical semantic dissection of every word that we have had in the past few weeks and months

Get all that right, the feelgood for the team comes back, which transmits to the fans and voila! successful results. COYR

TobyWanKenobi

He's been brought in to get us promotion. This time next year we should be promoted or we move on to the next one.

WIth all expectations of him taking us in to the premiership with a squad capable of competing in that division.I cannot imagine he will not be appointing his own coaching staff. With a view to making some early signings so that the team can be bedded in for the new season,unless particular players are made available on loan or signing I would expect the most significant changes will occur within our defence.Dont see Keogh remaining as captain or having a future with the club should we make changes.As a captain think he needs to shoulder some responsibility for the poor performances put in during the last part of the season and dispite being forever committed has shown lacking at times .

Just read an article where he states he is aiming for top 2...

Shot himself in the foot for the half fans who expect we will (and should) be 1st all season comfortably.

I say anything top half is good anything below is ok and avoiding relegation as bad.

Top 6 was the aim last season, I say top 6 with top 8 as a good year due to new coach.

Just read an article where he states he is aiming for top 2...

Shot himself in the foot for the half fans who expect we will (and should) be 1st all season comfortably.

I say anything top half is good anything below is ok and avoiding relegation as bad.

Top 6 was the aim last season, I say top 6 with top 8 as a good year due to new coach.

​Come on after the past two seasons we're surely not in a position where we'd classify 12th as a good season? I am lowering expectations for Clement as opposed to if Steve was here but I still expect play-offs as minimum this season. We have to players to get there, so it's a question of how good our coach is.

​Come on after the past two seasons we're surely not in a position where we'd classify 12th as a good season? I am lowering expectations for Clement as opposed to if Steve was here but I still expect play-offs as minimum this season. We have to players to get there, so it's a question of how good our coach is.

​Exactly. If Watford can change managers 4 times in a season and still finish top 2 and Norwich can change manager half way through the season and win the play offs, surely we can expect Clement to at least make the play offs with us. He's going to be one of, if not the highest paid manager in the league, has one of the best squads at his disposal, will probably have one of the largest budgets to sign players and has a full pre season to implement his style into the players. I personally would be really disappointed if we didn't even make the play offs

​Exactly. If Watford can change managers 4 times in a season and still finish top 2 and Norwich can change manager half way through the season and win the play offs, surely we can expect Clement to at least make the play offs with us. He's going to be one of, if not the highest paid managers in the league and has one of the best squads at his disposal, will probably have one of the largest budgets to sign players and has a full pre season to implement his style into the players. I personally would be really disappointed if we didn't even make the play offs

​If we don't make the play-offs I doubt he'll be gone but some fans would turn against him already. I dread to think how most to react if we had Dale's idea of a good season in 12th, or god forbid an ok season by finishing somewhere between 13th-17th...

The expectations will depend on how much flexibility he is given in the transfer market.  Few people would doubt that we need a couple of additions, especially in defence.  It is very hard to know what to expect of Clement now, it being is his first management job and we don't know what players he will bring in during the summer.  But as he has said himself, the Premier League is clearly the target.  So regardless of the manager, you've got to say, we should be looking at a top 6 finish at least.  It won't be easy for him though.

Archived