Expectations of the new coach

He's come from the biggest club in the world, after being at the biggest club in France, the biggest club in England, and at the time the biggest club in Lancashire.

If we're less than than 6 points clear going into January I'd get rid, give a new guy the chance to build his own squad in the window.

This is my first post since I attended the Kenny Burns school of football writing, I hope you'll agree £1.99 well spent?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's come from the biggest club in the world, after being at the biggest club in France, the biggest club in England, and at the time the biggest club in Lancashire.

If we're less than than 6 points clear going into January I'd get rid, give a new guy the chance to build his own squad in the window.

This is my first post since I attended the Kenny Burns school of football writing, I hope you'll agree £1.99 well spent?

​Kenny paid you £1.99?

He was robbed.

Seeing as we nearly made the playoffs last season, with a lengthy injury list, and a supposed dressing room revolt, anything less than top 6 next year will be a failure.

No point changing the coach unless you think he can take us further.

80 points minimum, just as it was for Steve McClaren last season.

But for starters his first big job is getting the hunger back from those who seemed mostly uninterested at the back end of last season - Bryson being the obvious one.

​That will be the hardest part these players have been around the top most of the season and had a good end the year before.

I'm hoping new manager fresh faces will get hunger back I feel having higher quality will push the likes of Bryson and Hughes etc.

This guy has been used to training/coaching some of the worlds best players on a daily basis for a number of years. Its documented that he had the respect of such players. If you were one of our players how would that make you react in training? I personally would be busting a gut to impress.

We need to instil arrogance, a winning mentality, a we are better than you and we are going to prove it approach. Of course he needs the players to pull that off but he surely can identify pretty quickly where we are lacking. All he needs to do then is communicate that to the club. For example " We need a footballing left sided centre-back, we need defensive midfield cover etc. show me the list".

We have a pretty good base to build from this season. I understand the concern of some about Clements lack of experience as a No.1 but the main thing for me is that he needs to immediately get the respect of the players. As I say, I don't see how he can fail at that.

I'm not sure I expect anything.  Expectation did us few favours as a club last season.

What I'm hoping is that there are no wholesale changes to the team, and that we continue to predominantly play an attacking style focussing on quick passing and movement.  I'd like to see a few quality additions (another CDM would be my priority) but would also like to see some of our own younger players brought through and I hope PC is brave enough to do that.  My only other wish would be for an improvement in our tactical nous to change games where we are struggling.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all turns out.

I'm hoping the players see this as as much of a fresh start as the board and the fans.

They will have to impress someone completely different - lets hope that pays on the pitch.

As for my expectations - top 6 is minimum, just as it was under Mac. A steady start while he works out what his best team is, keep in touch with whoever starts flying, and then kick on in the second half of the season. Much like we did in the Clough/Mac season.

Archived