Expectations of the new coach

​If we don't make the play-offs I doubt he'll be gone but some fans would turn against him already. I dread to think how most to react if we had Dale's idea of a good season in 12th, or god forbid an ok season by finishing somewhere between 13th-17th...

If he makes the same mistakes McClaren did (defence, no plan B etc.) then fans will probably get on his back really quickly because it would just make the McClaren sacking so pointless. Hopefully he keeps the nice style of football and adds a very solid defence to that. And hopefully he finds an effective plan for us if Martin was to get injured again

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he makes the same mistakes McClaren did (defence, no plan B etc.) then fans will probably get on his back really quickly because it would just make the McClaren sacking so pointless. Hopefully he keeps the nice style of football and adds a very solid defence to that. And hopefully he finds an effective plan for us if Martin was to get injured again

​He can just call on an old mate...

iPesr8A.jpg

I am happy if he just makes us less predictable in the way we play, and explains to a certain member of the defence that if he is to keep his place in the team / club, then he needs to play on his feet and not his botty!!!

​I don't know - in another thread we had Boycie planting xxxx's on the new coach's derriere and here you are suggesting that our central defenders will expect to be playing on it.

Lot of bloomin' fetishists on 'ere today

​Come on after the past two seasons we're surely not in a position where we'd classify 12th as a good season? I am lowering expectations for Clement as opposed to if Steve was here but I still expect play-offs as minimum this season. We have to players to get there, so it's a question of how good our coach is.

​I thought top 6 was easy last season, this season with a new coach my expectations need to be rock bottom for my blood pressure :(

​I thought top 6 was easy last season, this season with a new coach my expectations need to be rock bottom for my blood pressure :(

​Top six should have been easy for us last season with the way 3/4 of it went

He has been brought in to take us up and will be paid very nicely to do it, he needs to at least make play offs to stay on. Its a myth that stability breeds success as people have pointed out with 2 of the 3 that went up last season. Look at all the top clubs, they change managers and expect results. Fergie kept his job but he was one of the greatest managers to ever live and to be fair in a bad season he would still will something normally,

Sky Sports News HQ retweeted
Rob Dorsett ‏@Dorselator 43 minutes ago

Sam Rush denies Clement is a gamble, and that top 6 is the minimum requirement for #dcfc; he promises he will have the resources to succeed.

He has been brought in to take us up and will be paid very nicely to do it, he needs to at least make play offs to stay on. Its a myth that stability breeds success as people have pointed out with 2 of the 3 that went up last season. Look at all the top clubs, they change managers and expect results. Fergie kept his job but he was one of the greatest managers to ever live and to be fair in a bad season he would still will something normally,

Sky Sports News HQ retweeted
Rob Dorsett ‏@Dorselator 43 minutes ago

Sam Rush denies Clement is a gamble, and that top 6 is the minimum requirement for #dcfc; he promises he will have the resources to succeed.

​That’s a strong statement by Rush.

I thought the choice of SM was SR’s and I didn’t see much evidence that SR was looking to sack SM at the end of last season. That looked to me like it was the board’s decision. I think the choice of Clement is probably SR’s as well.

Given this statement that top 6 is the minimum requirement then I wonder if it might not just be Clement being asked to leave at the end of next season if we manage no better than 8th.

We need to be careful with these expectations. I am of no doubt that the aim for the club is top 6, but we have to be fair and understand this is his first role as a manager/ head coach. I think automatic and PC will be regarded as a genius, top 6 will be good. As long as I see some promise, something to build with next season, i'll be happy.

Our expectations on the whole were ridiculous last season.

Promotion in two seasons should do it. Would not be happy going into renewal talks in his final year if we're not in the Premier League. Finish wherever you like in the top 10 this season.

On the whole though, I'm quite relaxed about it and very excited to see Clement come in and see what he can do. Lets see what happens. Not as if we can affect the results positively by setting high standards. You can't set realistic higher standards for any manager/head coach than they set for themselves. People in those jobs are highly driven and ambitious people. Clem is no different. As the saying goes, he'll be his own harshest critic.

I trust him to know what he's doing. If he says we need to finish 20th this season to be promoted next season, than that's the plan. I trust him with the plan.

What are your expectations for the new season ahead with a new coach in place?

Is it promotion - top two finish?

Is it influx of new players?

Similar style of football like the last 2 seasons?

Do you think there will be major changes?

​Champions League qualification this year. 

We need to be careful with these expectations. I am of no doubt that the aim for the club is top 6, but we have to be fair and understand this is his first role as a manager/ head coach. I think automatic and PC will be regarded as a genius, top 6 will be good. As long as I see some promise, something to build with next season, i'll be happy.

​If by ‘we’ you’re referring to ‘Derby fans’ then I also think we need to be careful about future expectations and be fair to the new manager.

As for last season, I didn’t call for the head of SM for failing to meet what I thought were realistic expectations of top 6 - and I can’t think of any fan who did. I can’t even think of a fan who expected SM to get the sack.

Posters go on about fans needing to be realistic but the fans seem fine to me. The person publicly tweeting about there being a ‘minimum expectation' of top 6 is the President and CEO of the club.

​You could read it as SR denying that top 6 is a minimum requirement.

​I don't know - in another thread we had Boycie planting xxxx's on the new coach's derriere and here you are suggesting that our central defenders will expect to be playing on it.

Lot of bloomin' fetishists on 'ere today

​No, no, no. My expectation is that central defenders play on their feet. It's the way forward (or backwards or sideways, certainly more mobile than on their 'arris) :-)

Archived