McClaren Gone

Cam the Ram

Was sacking McClaren the right decision?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't get the train of thought about Mac deserving another year or it being a crass decision. I respect the sentiment, as I backed Clough to the end, maybe too long, but the logic doesn't stack up to me and Mac was always on shaky ground.

For a squad that stood top and laden with talent at the end of January to disintegrate that wildly that quickly was astonishing. There will need to be 4 or 5 significant signings this summer and we now have dead wood to off-load again. Do we trust McClaren with that after what we've just suffered? Not for me, the glib statement that "he's lost the dressing room" is one of the more odious cliches in football, but if it ever applied, it applies here.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Vote buttons need another one - Don't Know - because I don't know whether the decision was right or wrong.

Steve clearly feels it wasn't right from his point of view; the club wouldn't have taken the action they did if they hadn't thought it was right.  None of us know all the reasons why, except for those which will be made public - and some of us will take what we are told at face value and some of us will not. We will all read all sorts of other nuances into what is said and not said, depending upon our view.

Sir Brian (and I'm not putting SM into that category of manager) was followed by something even better, even though I didn't believe it possible at the time he went; others - Dave Mackay, Arthur, Jim - were not. Immediately. But then SM hasn't achieved anything like that which they achieved.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but we will only ever know whether it was right to move Steve on, with it.

Thanks Steve.  Now who's next?

The Vote buttons need another one - Don't Know - because I don't know whether the decision was right or wrong.

​Knew this would happen at some point, no sitting on the fence, yes or no!...you're vote could come back to haunt you!

To be honest, yes it was right. it's not an absolute and it does have valid arguments on each side, but the nature of our capitulation and SM's not got a track record of turning things round just about tps me. If he'd styed i'd back him of course and be happy to. A lot depends on the right call being made now. bringing SM in was the right call, need another one now, and they're not easy.

I went No, I'm not convinced McClaren did enough to tell Mike Ashley to ****off for once and for all but I think what he achieved in all bar his last couple of months deserved at least til Christmas to make amends for our tail off. 

I voted NO.

My instincts are rarely wrong, and I think this is a bad move and we will end up back in the middle zone!

With regards to the Newcastle nonsense, I think the fans have handled it way way way worse than McClaren did/didn't, it shouldn't have even been an issue. It shouldn't have meant a difference, and it wouldn't have but the fans kept pushing and pushing and making out it was a major thing. It derailed our season by the fans making the feelgood factor disappear.

It was right IMO. 

McLaren lost my support with his comment with a few games to go by saying 'we will just have to get used to leaking goals in the last few games'. 

For that comment to come from your manager at the point of the season was damaging for both supporter and player.

He brought in too many wrong players and never really improved on what we already had apart from Ince. Although I do think we was okay in that department anyway.

Eustace was not played early enough either, if he had been playing we all know our results and performances would have been better.

How many times could you not understand the team selections too. Mac didn't know his best team which is very disapointing from an ex England manager.

I voted NO.

My instincts are rarely wrong, and I think this is a bad move and we will end up back in the middle zone!

With regards to the Newcastle nonsense, I think the fans have handled it way way way worse than McClaren did/didn't, it shouldn't have even been an issue. It shouldn't have meant a difference, and it wouldn't have but the fans kept pushing and pushing and making out it was a major thing. It derailed our season by the fans making the feelgood factor disappear.

The fans... And the owners...

Had the squad not been so broken up by injuries earlier in the year, I am sure that we would have got promoted and Steve would have not got sacked. It's a funny old game although I'm not laughing much.

Its okay the board making these types of decision but it doesn't always pay off. It did work last time so you can give them the benefit of the doubt but there are so many times you can keep chopping the manager before it all collapses. 

Stability is still important and we came very close this season so I voted no. 

I voted yes!  I don't think for one minute mclarens done a bad job or really too much wrong ! But i got the feeling after all the Newcastle b/s was flying around it just turned his head ! Not fully but it turned it and i dont think he everr turned it back to us . And even if he didn't end up at Newcastle the same would happen again with another "bigger" club . Lets just hope we get someone in whos fully committed to the cause !

No from me, hadn't been in charge for two years, and only had one summer transfer window.  

Its now been done though, so hopefully onwards and upwards, and at least we won't have to keep hearing how it was the fans fault we didn't make the play offs. 

Steve certainly is a great coach but I believe some of his tactical decisions were very poor dispite having difficult decisions to make due to injuries, some of the performances from players brought in were very below par and regular team members didn't perform well surely that is down to the manager at the end of the day.Some thing has gone on behind the scenes,I don't recollect Steve getting any public votes of confidence or support from any of the players and I believe their may possibly lye part of the issue. Perhaps he lost confidence and respect from the squad when speculation of him jumping ship with no real denial or outright claims of ilegance to Derby came fourth from him.I don't think you can blame the fans ,we can only judge on performances /results and what we hear off the pitch.I don't recall a lot to hear from Steve with regard to categorically committing to us and not being interested in opportunities at other clubs,so what are we to believe

I voted yes. The team spirit in the last few months was not the same as it had been and something had happened behind the scenes to make that change.

Also his refusal to change things around when Martin was injured and the one man up front tactic clearly wasn't working really got my goat.

Archived