McClaren Gone

Cam the Ram

Was sacking McClaren the right decision?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As some have mentioned on this thread, I'm a little sad but not as much as when Clough went. McClaren's bond with Derby was never quite as strong as some others have constantly intimated.

In some ways, change was inevitable when the Newcastle rumours refused to go away. Whether McClaren believes it or not, that must have had an effect on his performance at Derby & the players' performance. Uncertainty as to the future of a key staff member always will. I also can't condemn the board for instigating a departure if he wasn't 100% committed but will be annoyed if poor management of the situation results in us having to pay him to leave.

Good luck Steve for the future & thanks for the memories. Hope you get a decent job in the division you clearly want to be operating in.

Some great times, great disappointments, great football; a Wembley trip, an all so close finish to this season. Record points; 100 goals; 2 x 20+ goal scorers; home crowds and travelling support that makes you proud to be a Ram? Yes, it's really about time they fired Mac!!

Thank you Steve. I for one have enjoyed almost every minute of it! Good luck for the future!

​The article was updated when more info came out but his original stance on it can be seen in this thread.

Went from "not on the brink" to "uncertain".

So he corrected the incorrect information, and the reason for the decision remained?

Ed Dawes tweet as well. Anyone with inside information who has reported a reason, has given the speculation as at least a driving force. 

McClaren even talked about it in his statement, heavily implying that Morris thought their poor form was down to 'McClaren not 100% committing'.

That was the tag line of the hysterical fan by the way, not a quote from McClaren.

Some great times, great disappointments, great football; a Wembley trip, an all so close finish to this season. Record points; 100 goals; 2 x 20+ goal scorers; home crowds and travelling support that makes you proud to be a Ram? Yes, it's really about time they fired Mac!!

Thank you Steve. I for one have enjoyed almost every minute of it! Good luck for the future!

​did you love the second half aginst reading?

i agree much of SM's reign has been excellent - but let's not descend into hyperbole.

halifaxram

In many ways, I am sad at this chain of events, as I, along with many others I think, felt that Mac and his team, were in our camp, and Derby people. We all hope for some success, and it is much sweeter, and heart-warming, when it is achieved by people who have been involved with the club over a period of time, or who have come up through the ranks. This was the feeling we all shared at the end of last season, and why fans were flying in from around the globe, for the play-off final.

I would have to say though, that over the past 3-4 months, this sense of family seemed to have evaporated, and I had lost the feeling that the management were as committed and involved, as we on the terraces.  I never did get the idea that Mac was totally committed after the Newcastle stories blew up, and his reassurances seemed rather flat, and without conviction.

The sense of togetherness certainly seemed to disappear on the pitch too, and the playing staff appeared less committed and wholehearted than we would have hoped for.

As for great coaches, I am not sure I am convinced, but then again, maybe I am thinking in terms of tactics, ability to swap around and adapt, motivation under pressure, many of which are maybe not examined under the spotlight on the training ground.

I want to enjoy watching my team, even if we are not winning every week. Mac had shown us that this is possible, and thereby raised the bar for himself and the team. I still think that the team are capable, but I think with all that has gone on, new leadership is required, and therefore I support the decision made by the board. If they are right, then all of this will soon be forgotten. If they are wrong, then we have another of our regular barren spells.

Lets hope for a creative and inspiring appointment. There do appear to be one or two potentially good ones in the offing.

COYR.

I said at the start of the season that someone will come in for him after Christmas and he will be gone before the end of the season, to some friends. I wasn't fussed. I thought it would be clean and simple. Some fans would be disappointed but would totally understand. But this whole saga has lost him a lot of respect. If you want to go you go. Don't wait around. Don't mess people around. As a result the worst possible thing that could happen, happened. It effected the players and our performances. Which is exactly why you make the decision asap and live with it in football. 

If you want to go you go. Don't wait around. - He didn't want to go. He only ever said that he was committed to finishing the job here, but that wasn't good enough for some people and they wouldn't let it lie. 

Don't mess people around. - He's been messed around.

I always thought derby was a club that stuck by managers when things were going ok, they stuck by nigel but then this rush came in and yes rightly so the club needed another direction 

so the last 20 months we've seen the best football since the mid nineties but they've decided they've seen enough and bang, he's gone despite record points etc etc

so now we get a new manager in and he's to deal with the aftermath, he'll want his own players, formation etc

sincerely hope rush and co have got this right or they'll be the ones out next

all the best SMC and thanks for the memories

Well I liked Mac,I really did.But if board feels another direction is best way to go,that is cool.

Whoever new guy may be,lead the Rams to glory. :)

​You're hoping mate.

Truth is we're all guessing at whys and wherefores, therefore no-one can be right or wrong.

Do I think MM has acted in the best interests of DCFC?

I don't even know it was him calling the shots, so I won't slag him off or defend him, all I hope for is we improve next season.

One thing I'd like to share, in late January a coach at Derby offered to get my son a signed ball from the 1st team squad, to cheer him up through a tough time.

Maclaren agreed to get this done, but warned it would be the last one they'd do as they had to concentrate on promotion from that moment forward.

This doesn't sound like a manager who'd lost his focus.

I would love a ball signed by Rivière, Caballa, Collocini and Krul. How much?

I would love a ball signed by Rivière, Caballa, Collocini and Krul. How much?

Me too, must have been remedial defending that day, Shotton, Albentosa, Warnock etc.

Did get Martin and Bryson too, guess it was an unfit and failing theme at Moor Farm that day?

I don't agree with the decision. However, I'm excited at the prospect of Paul Clement.

IF we don't get Clement then, depending on who we get, I'll be disappointed. 

The sacking makes so little sense. I can think that something has gone on behind the scenes, otherwise this is a costly and very harsh decision. 

Having said that, the players, despite the injuries, were clearly not right toward the end of the season. It just seemed to all crumble; the spirit, the football and the confidence all went out the window. 

This decision will be proved right or wrong next season. I'm glad Steele and Simpson want to stick around, though, they can help the transition for the new manager easily. 

Archived