McClaren Gone

Cam the Ram

Was sacking McClaren the right decision?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an interesting question for people. Rather than do you think it was the right decision, do you think it was McClaren's fault that he was sacked?

​For the reasons he's apparently been sacked then yes.

The Newcastle job either definitely had an impact or it's just a crazy coincidence.

How can the players go from being so good to so bad at the loss of 1 or 2 key players? Yes I expect a lower quality if you take out players like Martin, but without Martin are we really as our form suggested - a relegation battling side?

​For the reasons he's apparently been sacked then yes.

The Newcastle job either definitely had an impact or it's just a crazy coincidence.

How can the players go from being so good to so bad at the loss of 1 or 2 key players? Yes I expect a lower quality if you take out players like Martin, but without Martin are we really as our form suggested - a relegation battling side?

​So you would blame McClaren for the speculation having a negative effect?

For me, I think he handled the speculation in a correct and respectful manner and others just wouldn't let it rest. If it follows on that this speculation hurt the team irreparably then obviously he would have to leave, but it still wouldn't have been his fault in my eyes.  

Here's an interesting question for people. Rather than do you think it was the right decision, do you think it was McClaren's fault that he was sacked?

​This is the thing, we simply can't know what happened behind the scenes. We can take one of two sides: "I trust the board" or "I trust McClaren", we don't really have a great deal to base either on though. If this was over concerns about McClaren's loyalty, then I have to back the board, they're not stupid, they have proven themselves to be loyal in the past and we all saw what happened with the team's confidence in the last few months. But equally it may well have all been a cover for wanting to shift an under performing manager before next season for some reason or another, and McClaren simply handled the media speculation about Newcastle poorly, giving the board ammunition if they needed it. 

If McClaren was sacked for us finishing 8th, even considering the horrific end to the season, I would say it was the wrong decision. If it was because he had a meeting with the board and failed to 100% commit to the cause for next season, I say it was the right decision. As always, there was almost certainly a mix of factors, the confidence and trust was worn by the poor end of the season, and that probably came into any decision, but what I mean is whether or not the reason for them to make the decision was trust or not and whether it was the primary concern to them. 

As for whether the speculation and the effect on the team was McClaren's fault, I'd actually place that blame on him regardless. It's not hard to say "No, I am not interested". I get that the whole media game was become about dancing about the issue to some, but that isn't what we needed at the time. The concern is why he couldn't just say that, as all the other jobs he was linked with seemed to be brushed off quickly. That's what interests me most in all this. If McClaren's mind had actually turned to Newcastle, and he failed to just kill the speculation where it started because of that, and that was the central cause of him losing the board's trust, then he, as mentioned earlier, would be the one to blame in this. 

Don't like Mel Morris.

First he threatens legal action because some bloke signed up to this message board and asked a question about Morris taking over.

Then he sacks a man who is statistically one of our most successful managers in my lifetime. How about some of you lot? How many Derby fans are old enough to remember a handful of better managers?  Half? Bit more than half? 

None statistically who was the last manager better than McClaren? When was the last time you expected so much as you walked into a stadium? Jim Smith? Before that?

I've been immune to the whole Newcastle thing.

Do you know how?

By not giving a ****. I care about what happens. Not what might happen in a different time line.  I don't need to be told how loved I am by my missus everyday. She's with me. We have good times.  We ride bad times. Until she says she's leaving I assume she's staying. 

I don't panic when I read a newspaper article. Newspapers are full of ****. From Kim Kardashian's latest holiday to Mick Philpott's transformation from tragic, loving father to evil, benefit scrounging murderer. 

The problem with a lot of Derby fans and apparently Mel Morris is you give too much of a ****. 

Why did we concede that goal? Who's fault was it? FIND ME A REASON! 

Why isn't Buxton back? What's really going on?

McClaren needs to commit to me. COMMIT TO ME!! PLEEEEEAAAASE! 

Every single crevice and corner is given a full inspection. Every possible little blemish is outed, analysed, weighed up and offered up to the world for critical analysis.  

Now we've just sacked a manager with a 54% win ratio at Derby County. We scored 100 goals this year. Wembley last year. We had a bit of a **** time lately but unless you lot have memory loss then I can remember worse times. 

The guy earned a chance to turn it around. Just a chance. But no. You read in the Mirror that he's off to Newcastle and he didn't confess his undying love so that's that. 

So did he go to Newcastle then? All that "just face it, he's going to Newcastle" ******.

Did he go then? Did he leave us? I read on here that he was definitely leaving us for Newcastle. Yet I'm now reading that he didn't resign and was sacked. 

If we go back to midtable mediocrity I wonder how you'll look back on this. Bet it's less critical than now. If we improve then it's been a ruthless but good call like the Nigel to Mac one. But it still doesn't excuse how people have turned on him. 

We won 51 and lost 22 of his 94 games in charge. We were stopped in cup competitions by Chelsea twice and by a Reading winner when we were down to 10 men.

Cheers Steve. You reminded me why I like football again.  I'd forgot and was on autopilot. And I STILL don't give a **** what the write in the Mirror or what Dave said on twitter. 

Don't like Mel Morris.

First he threatens legal action because some bloke signed up to this message board and asked a question about Morris taking over.

​I agree with this. It's never a good sign when your chairman/board member is taking moves straight out of the Oyston playbook.

i voted no but perhaps the situation was beyond repair.  How did a good thing end up so badly?  i think everyone involved shares some blame.  The following is purely based on my feeling of the situation without knowing much of the facts, but this is how it seems to me.  When a relationship goes sour it's so often because of bad communication and a breakdown of trust.
Steve was clumsy in reacting to the Newcastle rumors, the board was guessing at what was happening without seeking clear info from Steve, Sam was indecisive caught in the middle wanting to please all parties, the players got caught up in the drama unfolding which is an unprofessional reaction by them and the fans and the media threw gasoline on the fire by blowing the whole thing out of proportion.  It's a real pity how this thing played out like a Brazilian soap opera and something to learn from.

Don't like Mel Morris.

Then he sacks a man who is statistically one of our most successful managers in my lifetime. How about some of you lot? How many Derby fans are old enough to remember a handful of better managers?  Half? Bit more than half? 

None statistically who was the last manager better than McClaren? When was the last time you expected so much as you walked into a stadium? Jim Smith? Before that?

I've been immune to the whole Newcastle thing.

Do you know how?

By not giving a ****. I care about what happens. Not what might happen in a different time line.  I don't need to be told how loved I am by my missus everyday. She's with me. We have good times.  We ride bad times. Until she says she's leaving I assume she's staying. 

I don't panic when I read a newspaper article. Newspapers are full of ****. From Kim Kardashian's latest holiday to Mick Philpott's transformation from tragic, loving father to evil, benefit scrounging murderer. 

The problem with a lot of Derby fans and apparently Mel Morris is you give too much of a ****. 

Why did we concede that goal? Who's fault was it? FIND ME A REASON! 

Why isn't Buxton back? What's really going on?

McClaren needs to commit to me. COMMIT TO ME!! PLEEEEEAAAASE! 

Every single crevice and corner is given a full inspection. Every possible little blemish is outed, analysed, weighed up and offered up to the world for critical analysis.  

Now we've just sacked a manager with a 54% win ratio at Derby County. We scored 100 goals this year. Wembley last year. We had a bit of a **** time lately but unless you lot have memory loss then I can remember worse times. 

The guy earned a chance to turn it around. Just a chance. But no. You read in the Mirror that he's off to Newcastle and he didn't confess his undying love so that's that. 

So did he go to Newcastle then? All that "just face it, he's going to Newcastle" ******.

Did he go then? Did he leave us? I read on here that he was definitely leaving us for Newcastle. Yet I'm now reading that he didn't resign and was sacked. 

If we go back to midtable mediocrity I wonder how you'll look back on this. Bet it's less critical than now. If we improve then it's been a ruthless but good call like the Nigel to Mac one. But it still doesn't excuse how people have turned on him. 

We won 51 and lost 22 of his 94 games in charge. We were stopped in cup competitions by Chelsea twice and by a Reading winner when we were down to 10 men.

Cheers Steve. You reminded me why I like football again.  I'd forgot and was on autopilot. And I STILL don't give a **** what the write in the Mirror or what Dave said on twitter. 

I can think of at least one:

​Steve McClaren in the Championship for us: 151 points in 83 games (1.82 points per game), No promotions

Billy Davies in the Championship for us: 84 points in 46 games (1.87), One promotion

Did it on a tighter budget, from a worse position, with an arguably worse side. So don't go around hiding behind "statistically the best in my lifetime" unless you're under 9 years old. 

People will have differing opinions on the matter, but until more comes out on the matter, it's probably best to defer judgement. If people can judge Billy harshly though, and I sure am one of them, you can't simply give Mac a free pass just because "we played some nice stuff". Loyalty is important in this game, but I'll wait for more details to come out before I make any solid judgement on him. If this did come down to loyalty, and he does end up at Newcastle though, I will find it hard to see him in any better a light than Billy. I'm a bit torn on that point, Billy at least gave us promotion, but ultimately left us in a mess, but it could well be that the board's actions with McClaren may have prevented iBilly 2.0, the McBillyren. If this did come down to loyalties though, McClaren at least has probably left us in a better position overall. 

If we're going by Cup performance, then Jewell and Nigel gave us more memorable days than McClaren ever did. 

When did Nigel give us a memorable cup night?

Crawley was, but for the wrong reasons.

​I don't know, maybe when we beat Forest twice in the space of a fortnight, at the City Ground, our first wins there in my lifetime... 

Maybe those Man United games. All sorts really. 

Ah, thought that were a league match, so many years ago.

​If you're wondering about the exact order of events that year:

Early November: Forest at home in the league, still under Jewell. Tito at both ends. That night with Attwell...

Late January: Forest at home in the FA Cup, now under Nigel. 1-1 draw

Early February: Forest away in the FA Cup, 3-2. We were 2 down, and came back to win, with a goal from Kris Commons the winner

Later in February: Forest away in the League. Classy performance, 3-1 win, their goal was but a consolation. 

PistoldPete2

Well I remember Clough senior was often dallying with other clubs like Coventry and Barcelona. I don't mean Coventry are like Barcelona. Even when we were going for the league title. Didn't affect the team one bit. But in those days managers weren't paid much, he was just trying to get leverage for more money. I think Mac was sacked for our late season collapse. Simple as. 

I can think of at least one:

​Steve McClaren in the Championship for us: 151 points in 83 games (1.82 points per game), No promotions

Billy Davies in the Championship for us: 84 points in 46 games (1.87), One promotion

Did it on a tighter budget, from a worse position, with an arguably worse side. So don't go around hiding behind "statistically the best in my lifetime" unless you're under 9 years old. 

People will have differing opinions on the matter, but until more comes out on the matter, it's probably best to defer judgement. If people can judge Billy harshly though, and I sure am one of them, you can't simply give Mac a free pass just because "we played some nice stuff". Loyalty is important in this game, but I'll wait for more details to come out before I make any solid judgement on him. If this did come down to loyalty, and he does end up at Newcastle though, I will find it hard to see him in any better a light than Billy. I'm a bit torn on that point, Billy at least gave us promotion, but ultimately left us in a mess, but it could well be that the board's actions with McClaren may have prevented iBilly 2.0, the McBillyren. If this did come down to loyalties though, McClaren at least has probably left us in a better position overall. 

If we're going by Cup performance, then Jewell and Nigel gave us more memorable days than McClaren ever did. 

Like I said. "Statistically he's one of the best managers in my lifetime." 

I didn't say THE best. 

Of course statistics don't tell what position the club was in. For example Jim Smith can't be expected to get 77 points and a 54% win ratio in the Premiership. 

But whatever way you look at it.  Steve McClaren, George Burley and Billy Davies are pretty much my highlights for the last 15 years. Jim Smith is a legend for getting us to where Stoke are. This isn't a club where Steve McClaren's record and football can be waved away. It stands out. 

​If you're wondering about the exact order of events that year:

Early November: Forest at home in the league, still under Jewell. Tito at both ends. That night with Attwell...

Late January: Forest at home in the FA Cup, now under Nigel. 1-1 draw

Early February: Forest away in the FA Cup, 3-2. We were 2 down, and came back to win, with a goal from Kris Commons the winner

Later in February: Forest away in the League. Classy performance, 3-1 win, their goal was but a consolation. 

His initial question was when did Nigel give us a memorable cup game. One of those is a draw. The other is a league game.  

There was only one memorable cup game for the right reasons.  Forest 3-2. 

A certain new controller at the club is the reason why they sacked Mac, nonsense about Toon is just a smoke screen, same as the tail of at the end of the season [caused by too many injuries]....

Think of the costs involved, pay off Mac, then rumour  of Cement come in on a 8 million contract - talk its cost us 10 million in total....that would/should have been the investment in quality players for Mac next season......

That's that then, glad it didn't drag out for longer.  Now we await to learn who will be appointed in his place

hi guys, 1st time on the forum so hello, although I live just outside Reading, I come from Derby and have always been a Rams fan. for me Macs leaving is a bit of a knee jerk , he should have been given another year . We should also keep Eric and Paul.

for

I am extremely disappointed that the Steve McClaren era has ended this way and I would still like an explanation for 12 points from the final 13 games. However I think it is a harsh decision. I guess the sacking of Ancelotti at Real Madrid is no coincidence as it probably frees up Paul Clement.

I am extremely disappointed that the Steve McClaren era has ended this way and I would still like an explanation for 12 points from the final 13 games. However I think it is a harsh decision. I guess the sacking of Ancelotti at Real Madrid is no coincidence as it probably frees up Paul Clement.

​Injuries is the answer to your first point.

Sacking of Ancelotti is nothing to do with talk of Clement coming to us, its because they spent 200 million and won sod all!

Back to your first point, with all those injuries taking its toll, one thing is certain the squad was nowhere near good enough for the prem.

I'm disappointed... Think there's some on Twitter with very short memories when I've been discussing on there....

All I've seen from the Pro Sack Mac is that Mel Morris is a lovely man with heart in the right place etc....

Dont get me wrong he has invested a lot into us.... And after all he's a Derby lad.... Just some people can mistakes from time to time. I think he's made one with sacking Mac.

And one more from the Pro Sack Mac Camp.... Telling me all these "wondeful" articles on Paul Clement and his coaching abilities etc. If and when he does come in, I will judge him after a season.... 

I support whatever the club decide.... It's my duty as a Ram. I however will not follow the sheep (see what I did there) who would rather use here say and hang onto some peoples every word who claim to be ITK etc.

All the best Mac.... Have given me something to believe in again and made me feel a bit more passionate about the club again. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy watching my lads play more... But it's coming back. 

Regards The Mafia

Archived