McClaren Gone

Cam the Ram

Was sacking McClaren the right decision?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What reason? You talk about this like it's a foregone conclusion.

How do you know what went on behind the scenes before this dismissal? The only quote we have had is from Mac himself, could it not be conceivable that maybe he's just a little bit biased in his assessment of the situation? Maybe even trying to have a little pop before he goes because he's upset that his career is now on the rocks again?

And how can you level a character assassination at MM when you have no knowledge of the man or his philosophy or his footballing knowledge at all?

All of this has been previously answered, so I'm not going to go over it all.

So McClaren might be biased, but we should take the word of the club as gospel?

Admittedly, I'm basing it on one decision and his reasoning, but what a horrendous one it is.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

How did he get it horribly wrong? This is the BBC, they can't report silly rumours, they report facts. He reported that there had been a meeting (correct), and that McClaren was still manager (correct). If you want to dismiss trusted sources because it doesn't suit your agenda, then that's your problem, not mine.  

It's a lot easier for the club to come out and say footballing reasons rather than speculation. Draws a line under it. As I said above, they wouldn't have sacked him if 8th was the only factor in their decision. 

Murphy has no interest in bending the truth. Derby do.

So what makes you think it is unbelievable that Derby should sack mcclaren for finishing 8th having finished 3rd last year but it's not unbelievable that sheffield u should sack Clough for finishing in the play offs and the league cup semis having been in the relegation zone when he took over. Derby have made it very clear they want to get into the prem, and Mac failed twice to do that. 

Maybe be both Derby and sheffield u can be criticised for impatience and over ambition. But I don't think its impossible to believe that a team with bent , ince, hughes and co that got 12 points from its last 13 games is going to sack its manager for purely football reasons. 

​No, he originally reported that McClaren was going to stay on after the 'positive' discussions. Murphy's interest in bending the truth was to go for a speculative story that nobody else went for, because his rep as a journalist would go through the roof if he'd correctly guessed what was happening.

I haven't read that, but I'm sure you will be happy to provide it.

I just said he was doing what he thinks is right. I never said its guaranteed to be successful, just that I support it.

Truth is we're all guessing at whys and wherefores, therefore no-one can be right or wrong.

Do I think MM has acted in the best interests of DCFC?

I don't even know it was him calling the shots, so I won't slag him off or defend him, all I hope for is we improve next season.

One thing I'd like to share, in late January a coach at Derby offered to get my son a signed ball from the 1st team squad, to cheer him up through a tough time.

Maclaren agreed to get this done, but warned it would be the last one they'd do as they had to concentrate on promotion from that moment forward.

This doesn't sound like a manager who'd lost his focus.

Derby County Club Statement: Steve McClaren

Derby County have terminated the contract of Head Coach Steve McClaren with immediate effect.

The decision follows a thorough review of the 2014/15 season by the club’s Board of Directors.

The Board believes that the appointment of a new Head Coach is required to continue the club’s on-field progress and the search is now underway to appoint a successor.

The Board remains firmly committed and driven to achieving promotion to the Premier League.

The club would also like to take this opportunity to wish Steve McClaren well for the future and thank him for his work throughout his tenure, which included a Play-Off Final appearance in 2014.

The club will be making no further comment at this time.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-club-statement-steve-mcclaren-2469717.aspx#uLMKo3m75XJOlHIV.99

Bland and vacuous...you'd think after their 'thorough review' that they might have put a bit more thought into how they were going to explain their decision to a fan base who really didn't see this coming.

​Not really ramesses, they've got the season ticket dough already banked, they don't need to now.

Truth is we're all guessing at whys and wherefores, therefore no-one can be right or wrong.

Do I think MM has acted in the best interests of DCFC?

I don't even know it was him calling the shots, so I won't slag him off or defend him, all I hope for is we improve next season.

One thing I'd like to share, in late January a coach at Derby offered to get my son a signed ball from the 1st team squad, to cheer him up through a tough time.

Maclaren agreed to get this done, but warned it would be the last one they'd do as they had to concentrate on promotion from that moment forward.

This doesn't sound like a manager who'd lost his focus.

​"This'll be the last one I do because I need to get going to Newc- erm... I mean we need to focus on promotion..."

:p

So what makes you think it is unbelievable that Derby should sack mcclaren for finishing 8th having finished 3rd last year but it's not unbelievable that sheffield u should sack Clough for finishing in the play offs and the league cup semis having been in the relegation zone when he took over. Derby have made it very clear they want to get into the prem, and Mac failed twice to do that. 

Maybe be both Derby and sheffield u can be criticised for impatience and over ambition. But I don't think its impossible to believe that a team with bent , ince, hughes and co that got 12 points from its last 13 games is going to sack its manager for purely football reasons. 

Different owners, different situations. What the Sheffield United owners think of Clough's job isn't relevant to us.

And for the record, I still think it would be a terrible decision if it's for footballing reasons. But I don't believe that was the reason

Where are all the people now who for months called me nothing but a WUM now? I told you months ago he was going but no-one believed me

​Because you're making up. WUM

Thanks Steve McClaren, you got my love back for my beloved Rams and made us into a decent team. Will never forget 20 months

I haven't read that, but I'm sure you will be happy to provide it.

​The article was updated when more info came out but his original stance on it can be seen in this thread.

Went from "not on the brink" to "uncertain".

​"This'll be the last one I do because I need to get going to Newc- erm... I mean we need to focus on promotion..."

:p

Tbh when I received it, was tempted to put Papiss Cisse and John Carver into the transfer talk section!

All of this has been previously answered, so I'm not going to go over it all.

So McClaren might be biased, but we should take the word of the club as gospel?

Admittedly, I'm basing it on one decision and his reasoning, but what a horrendous one it is.

No we definitely shouldn't take what the club say as gospel, as they have their own agenda too, but we also definitely shouldn't fill in the gaps with horrible conclusions because we don't know exactly what went on. If there is one thing i can assure you about MM he is not a knee jerker, and he doesn't make emotional decisions.

I understand that you can't see it the same way right now, but i hope in time you can have the same confidence in the man as i do.

I am shocked we sacked him to be honest, it sounds harsh, rather than a 'mutual agreement', i think it puts us in a dim light...

I like other thank McClaren for bringing me some real excitement, and some great football, to off set those years of mediocre relegation threatened football under different managers.

Good luck Steve, and i pray we dont slide back into the managerial merry go round, that saw us decline before....

Archived