McClaren Gone

Cam the Ram

Was sacking McClaren the right decision?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unfortunately, I don't think Mac would have been able to turn it around, so it's right he's gone. My beef lies in the fact it should never have come to this. He's the best thing to happen to the club since Jim Smith. What caused the rot is the real topic of debate here, and something tells me we'll never know. 

​simply, the fans wouldn't let it lie. It snowballed out of control, resulting in the feelgood factor becoming a feelbad factor and the weaker willed players struggling to perform in front of insecure and demanding fans. Yes injuries affected things, but they didn't make our defence forget how to make a good decision or lose concentration.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't like Mel Morris. He threatens legal action because some bloke signed up to this message board and asked a question about Morris taking over.

I don't need to be told how loved I am by my missus everyday. She's with me. We have good times.  We ride bad times. Until she says she's leaving I assume she's staying. 

Alpha old son I think you are losing it a bit.

I am not privy to what post upset MM but my guess is that he is a bit more thick-skinned than you suggest and that the "question" raised must have been heavily loaded. 

Your view of marriage is illuminating too; perhaps it is because you work nights? Whilst I do tell my wife I love her every day (at least once) - and vice versa - it is not through any insecurity, it is because I love her. Now I accept I might be a bit of an old romantic at heart, and it might not be a manly thing to admit, but you suggest you are at the opposite end of the scale, and in truth I don't think you are that thick skinned either.  I recognise that many on here love the Rams as much as they love their wives (and the wives recognise that too).  But don't tell me that you would be quite happy for someone to approach your wife (directly or indirectly) and say how about you come stay and play with me.  Don't tell me either that if you got wind of it that you would be happy with anything other than an answer of "I love you Alpha - I have no interest in any other men; I have a great man and two lovely kids and I am 100% committed to our relationship".  I accept you (and many men) don't have to wear your heart on your sleeve every day, but at the key moments in a relationship an inability to give a simple unambiguous "I love you unconditionally" is a pretty sure sign that it is only going one way.

Red herring the Toon offer, red herring using the performance of the last 13 games,

A new man in charge now and for some reason does not want Mac here.......

Sacking one of the best coaches in football, and the reason? No there is something else going on here, but hey.......Sometimes idiots can run football clubs

Red herring the Toon offer, red herring using the performance of the last 13 games,

A new man in charge now and for some reason does not want Mac here.......

Sacking one of the best coaches in football, and the reason? No there is something else going on here, but hey.......Sometimes idiots can run football clubs

Joe, Joe! Let it go. Your dad, and you, will get another job soon I am sure.

Blaming the fans is all well and good - if the board bowed to fan pressure so easily - they wouldn't be here - now. 

I am not privy to what post upset MM but my guess is that he is a bit more thick-skinned than you suggest and that the "question" raised must have been heavily loaded. 

Your view of marriage is illuminating too; perhaps it is because you work nights? Whilst I do tell my wife I love her every day (at least once) - and vice versa - it is not through any insecurity, it is because I love her. Now I accept I might be a bit of an old romantic at heart, and it might not be a manly thing to admit, but you suggest you are at the opposite end of the scale, and in truth I don't think you are that thick skinned either.  I recognise that many on here love the Rams as much as they love their wives (and the wives recognise that too).  But don't tell me that you would be quite happy for someone to approach your wife (directly or indirectly) and say how about you come stay and play with me.  Don't tell me either that if you got wind of it that you would be happy with anything other than an answer of "I love you Alpha - I have no interest in any other men; I have a great man and two lovely kids and I am 100% committed to our relationship".  I accept you (and many men) don't have to wear your heart on your sleeve every day, but at the key moments in a relationship an inability to give a simple unambiguous "I love you unconditionally" is a pretty sure sign that it is only going one way.

You're right about marriage, of course, but it's not quite the same is it? Marriage is for life (or at least it should be), there should be no going back. You are committed. A football club isn't for life. I'm not sure of the exact stat but the average time spent at a club won't be very long. It would have been silly for McClaren to potentially burn bridges by coming out so firmly in a rejection, and I don't really see any need in him doing so. His response (I won't talk about other jobs, I'm committed to finishing the job at Derby) is perfect, but fans wouldn't accept that and so it dragged on.

Blaming the fans is all well and good - if the board bowed to fan pressure so easily - they wouldn't be here - now. 

​It's not bowing to fan pressure. It's having the same reaction as some of the fans, which I think is the complete wrong reaction.

... I tell her I love her all the time. :( 

But she's still not ruled out the Newcastle job.

I saw the post that upset Mel Morris. And the threat of legal action. Honest the post was nothing. Literally a theory put forward. Now he's sacked my favourite Rams manager behind The Bald Eagle.

If I had a touch more anger inside me then I'd send him an email telling him I'm slightly dissapointed at his interference and if Derby become a hire 'em and fire 'em club then i'll encourage friends and family to turn to Bejewelled Blitz. 

... I tell her I love her all the time. :( 

But she's still not ruled out the Newcastle job.

I saw the post that upset Mel Morris. And the threat of legal action. Honest the post was nothing. Literally a theory put forward. Now he's sacked my favourite Rams manager behind The Bald Eagle.

If I had a touch more anger inside me then I'd send him an email telling him I'm slightly dissapointed at his interference and if Derby become a hire 'em and fire 'em club then i'll encourage friends and family to turn to Bejewelled Blitz. 

Do you think you will get over it .

I got over Brian Clough and Peter Taylor leaving and they were successful 

I voted no.

i was angry with SM for seeming to flirt with Newcastle and undermining the squad morale

I was frustrated by his team selection. 

I was horrified by the collapse - especially Reading.

I became convinced that pushing up the full backs and splitting the centre backs was the root cause of the defensive problems, rather than the loss of a few players.

i was exasperated by his inability to deal with Grant.

i was even annoyed by the boot camp and the resultant injury to Thorne 

but......

I do think he deserved another chance to put it right.

its possible that he couldn't sort it, and he might have got the push next season, but so be it, he should have got that chance.

Some people are very quick to stand in front of the cameras when everything is going well and bask in the glory. 

But its when things are going badly that you get the true measure of people.

There should be collective responsibility ehether we win or lose.

its a bit naff to blame everything on one individual.

I voted yes because it's for the best now IMO 

Don't worry you can vote no in 3 months when the press admit they got it wrong.... ? (joke!)

Do you think you will get over it .

I got over Brian Clough and Peter Taylor leaving and they were successful 

I'll be over it as soon as the next manager comes in. 

But this club had a lot of plans in place. It began a philosophy.  All youth teams set up the same way. Scouting network was expanded. Everything was sort of geared towards serving McClaren. They gave all the talk about relationships. Relationships between McClaren - Evans - Rush - scouting network - Lee Glover etc etc.

Start chopping and changing people and relationships and the ideas break down. 

McClaren has been sacked after we have been told since day 1 that everything is being built so wonderfully well.  "Be part of it". 

I hope they have the right man to continue it.  Because if they bring in massive changes then I would feel like the growth of the club wouldn't be as good as it is now. I mean the youth teams and youth scouting has been done really well and some look like they're purpose built for the Steve McClaren way of playing. 

If the new man doesn't bring massive changes but is unable to get results then he'll be sacked and thats more strain on the set up and relationships. 

Sacking McClaren should have been a last resort if we went into next season looking like we hadn't learned lessons. Not because somebody wants to make their stamp on the club. Not because of silly rumours with other clubs.

Rumours with other clubs only come to the successful.  

Archived