McClaren Gone

Cam the Ram

Was sacking McClaren the right decision?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm convinced there is more to it than just the Newcastle United rumours. How many players publically came out and backed him towards the end? How many players looked like they were enjoying their football in the last two months.

Bryson, Ward, Forsyth, Hendrick and Russell among others certainly didn't.

You only have to look around other clubs to see players publically back under-pressure bosses - whether in interviews or on social media. Leicester City players got right behind Nigel Pearson for instance.

I just didn't see anything from our lot. It's as if the players wanted a change, and when that happens there is no going back.

Keeping McClaren would have costed us load this season, as we would have had to buy a host of new players to replace those not satisfied under his tenure.

McClaren was fantastic in his first season, and very good for 2/3 of the following season. It's a shame how it all worked out, but it's for the best IMO. 

I for one am excited to see who we bring in. We're in a fantstic position, and should be such an attractive proposition for a number of managers both in the UK and abroad.

you name a handful of players that faced intimidating verbal abuse when going about their business from the coked-up hooligan wannabes in Derby. They all played with fear.​

​I'm not boosting my ego at all. I'm trying to say that people were wrong to doubt me

​The reason you were doubted is that you were repeating someone else's nonsense, and although you predicted the actual outcome, your actual prediction was wrong. It didn't happen how you expected it to happen, and your reasons why are bullsausage. If McClaren could go to Newcastle, he doesn't need a pay-off.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Mac pointing towards the fact that Mel Morris had made the decision to have him gone.. The scary thing for me is, whats saying, for all the good rep that Morris has, that's he's not an absolute lunatic?? Does anyone actually know this guy's personality??

Football is completely different to business. He's made a decision that the hysterical fans on here would have. If it had been for footballing reasons, then that's a completely different matter, but it's clearly not.

"Following a thorough review into the 14/15 season by the clubs board of directors"

So it is for footballing reasons. Because we spent a lot of money on trying to get automatic promotion and we didn't even get into the playoffs.

It is a very sad day in the life of Derby County, certainly the best coach we have had for thirty years.....

I only hope the board do not live to regret this shoddy affair.

It beggars belief that we can sack one of the best coaches in football, - so we may well be run by idiots !

I remember what a certain BC said about meddling chairmen at football clubs...... 

Where is your proof? 

It's being reported everywhere, by very credible sources, that Morris was unhappy with how McClaren handled the situation. Given that, it's my opinion that his reaction is that of a typical idiot Derby fan.

​How do I know he's a businessman doing what he thinks is right? I urge you to rethink that question. He's hardly going to be here to sabotage something he has put money into.

Don't be so patronising tombo, how do you know he's made the right decision, for the right reason?

You might think he has, as indeed I might, but you can't possibly know its the correct decision, made for the correct reasons unless you have some insight.

Unless of course, you think a businessman has never made a wrong decision?

ITV buying friends reunited springs to mind.

"Following a thorough review into the 14/15 season by the clubs board of directors"

So it is for footballing reasons. Because we spent a lot of money on trying to get automatic promotion and we didn't even get into the playoffs.

Do you really believe it was for footballing reasons? 

It is a very sad day in the life of Derby County, certainly the best coach we have had for thirty years.....

I only hope the board do not live to regret this shoddy affair.

It beggars belief that we can sack one of the best coaches in football, - so we may well be run by idiots !

I remember what a certain BC said about meddling chairmen at football clubs...... 

Total shambles!

It's being reported everywhere, by very credible sources, that Morris was unhappy with how McClaren handled the situation. Given that, it's my opinion that his reaction is that of a typical idiot Derby fan.

There is a quote from the club saying after review of the season as a whole. I really doubt "fan hysteria".  Finishing 8th was a failure, everything else further added to the situation. And we still don't know what else happened behind the scene. 

So Stop making up stories.

I worked for MM for 2 years. He's not stupid or naive, he is a successful businessman by not being stupid or naive funnily enough, i think those traits might have held him back somewhat.

He also possesses a great deal of humility, and treats his staff exceptionally well. Your comments do not reflect the man i knew in any way whatsoever. 

He's also a massive Derby fan, and not in a Fawaz way. We are in very good hands.

As I said, football is not business. Most football owners are pretty successful business owners, are they all good at running football clubs?

That might all be true but his reason is bullshite. Not that I can do anything, but I don't trust his judgement.

There is a quote from the club saying after review of the season as a whole. I really doubt "fan hysteria".  Finishing 8th was a failure, everything else further added to the situation. And we still don't know what else happened behind the scene. 

So Stop making up stories.

Nothing been the scenes has been hinted at. It's always been McClaren's actions in public that have been highlighted.

Had there been no speculation, and we had finished 8th, he wouldn't have been sacked. 

Don't be so patronising tombo, how do you know he's made the right decision, for the right reason?

You might think he has, as indeed I might, but you can't possibly know its the correct decision, made for the correct reasons unless you have some insight.

Unless of course, you think a businessman has never made a wrong decision?

ITV buying friends reunited springs to mind.

I just said he was doing what he thinks is right. I never said its guaranteed to be successful, just that I support it.

PistoldPete2

​The fact they're saying sacking means probably some compensation. Mutual consent would be what it would be if he agreed to resign.

No I don't think you often get anyone agreeing to resign unless they get some compo. Mutual consent normally means compo has been agreed. termination of contract means nothing has been agreed, which also seems clear from the statements from both sides. 

Do you really believe it was for footballing reasons? 

Yes. What other reasoning is it? And don't make up crap, I want some degree of legitimacy to what you say. I hope it's more legitimate than what's actually written in the club statement.

Nil point for Pat Murphy who got this horribly wrong.

As I said, football is not business. Most football owners are pretty successful business owners, are they all good at running football clubs?

That might all be true but his reason is bullshite. Not that I can do anything, but I don't trust his judgement.

What reason? You talk about this like it's a foregone conclusion.

How do you know what went on behind the scenes before this dismissal? The only quote we have had is from Mac himself, could it not be conceivable that maybe he's just a little bit biased in his assessment of the situation? Maybe even trying to have a little pop before he goes because he's upset that his career is now on the rocks again?

And how can you level a character assassination at MM when you have no knowledge of the man or his philosophy or his footballing knowledge at all?

Yes. What other reasoning is it? And don't make up crap, I want some degree of legitimacy to what you say. I hope it's more legitimate than what's actually written in the club statement.

Nil point for Pat Murphy who got this horribly wrong.

How did he get it horribly wrong? This is the BBC, they can't report silly rumours, they report facts. He reported that there had been a meeting (correct), and that McClaren was still manager (correct). If you want to dismiss trusted sources because it doesn't suit your agenda, then that's your problem, not mine.  

It's a lot easier for the club to come out and say footballing reasons rather than speculation. Draws a line under it. As I said above, they wouldn't have sacked him if 8th was the only factor in their decision. 

Murphy has no interest in bending the truth. Derby do.

How did he get it horribly wrong? This is the BBC, they can't report silly rumours, they report facts. He reported that there had been a meeting (correct), and that McClaren was still manager (correct). If you want to dismiss trusted sources because it doesn't suit your agenda, then that's your problem, not mine.  

It's a lot easier for the club to come out and say footballing reasons rather than speculation. Draws a line under it. As I said above, they wouldn't have sacked him if 8th was the only factor in their decision. 

Murphy has no interest in bending the truth. Derby do.

​No, he originally reported that McClaren was going to stay on after the 'positive' discussions. Murphy's interest in bending the truth was to go for a speculative story that nobody else went for, because his rep as a journalist would go through the roof if he'd correctly guessed what was happening.

Had there been no speculation, and we had finished 8th, he wouldn't have been sacked. 

Not convinced that was an awful end to the season.  Even with the speculation had we got to Wembley today he wouldn't have been sacked.

i thought he was a first class coach but he seems to have evaporated into thin air since February.

Derby County Club Statement: Steve McClaren

Derby County have terminated the contract of Head Coach Steve McClaren with immediate effect.

The decision follows a thorough review of the 2014/15 season by the club’s Board of Directors.

The Board believes that the appointment of a new Head Coach is required to continue the club’s on-field progress and the search is now underway to appoint a successor.

The Board remains firmly committed and driven to achieving promotion to the Premier League.

The club would also like to take this opportunity to wish Steve McClaren well for the future and thank him for his work throughout his tenure, which included a Play-Off Final appearance in 2014.

The club will be making no further comment at this time.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-club-statement-steve-mcclaren-2469717.aspx#uLMKo3m75XJOlHIV.99

Bland and vacuous...you'd think after their 'thorough review' that they might have put a bit more thought into how they were going to explain their decision to a fan base who really didn't see this coming.

Archived