McClaren Gone

Cam the Ram

Was sacking McClaren the right decision?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Time will tell if this is the right or wrong decision but I would like to thank Steve and his staff for bringing back the excitement  to Pride Park on a Saturday after six years of negativity.

Whoever replaces him will have to hit the ground running because after the last 18 months if he  doesn't this forum will be quickly full of people bemoaning this decision.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As fondly as I'll remember the exciting times Mac brought back to the club, as far as I can see the trust between him, the fans, and the board had declined beyond the point of no return and, had he continued, we wouldn't have been able to plan for the future.  Good luck to him in the future, but we've got to look forward now and welcome the new gaffer (presumably Clement) into the DCFC family.

In Rush we trust.

​....and the players. There is no comeback once the team of players have lost faith that the coach appears to them to know what he is doing.

Oh well, apart from the last few weeks I've really enjoyed Steve McClaren's most recent spell at Derby and for the most part he's brought an air of optimism and positive feeling to the club.

Shame it's ended this way but there has been a feeling of inevitability that this decision was coming.

Good luck for the future Steve and thanks for some great memories.

COYR

McClarens statement on SSN

"I am very disappointed with the decision especailly as I have on three occasions reiterated my commitment to Derby County Football Club.  The club means a huge amount to me and I was not looking to leave.  While we were all unhappy the way the season ended, I still believe real progress was being made.  I do not believe or accept that rumours linking me to the Newcastle United job were a factor in the teams performance this year, as had been alledged.  However, I have to accept the clubs owner wants to take a new direction."

Sorry if it's been posted before. 

​Ever met him?

Know anything about him?

Know anything about what went on in the boardroom (besides the sour grapes of a sacked head coach)?

Know anything about how this decision is going to turn out?

Of course you don't. Your reaction is fan hysteria, his reaction is a businessman doing what he thinks is best for his investment.

You know this how?

Not saying you're right or wrong, but unless you're better informed than @RLACML, who's to say who's right?

Not so sure it's Rush's decision. Looks as if he is just implementing the boards will.

​Thats what a CEO does (I was one once). The Board is appointed by the shareholders and if they fail to actthen they can be forced out by a vote under UK cmopany law. The Board appoints a CEO (or not - doesn't have to) who is simply the "doing" arm of the Board.

The CEO is under the scrutiny of the Board and if he screws up then the Chairman (as the leader of the Board) will have a quiet word.

​Ever met him?

Know anything about him?

Know anything about what went on in the boardroom (besides the sour grapes of a sacked head coach)?

Know anything about how this decision is going to turn out?

Of course you don't. Your reaction is fan hysteria, his reaction is a businessman doing what he thinks is best for his investment.

Why do I have to have met him? Pat Murphy said that Morris wasn't happy with how McClaren had handled the Newcastle speculation. That's pretty much a fact. I think that anyone who was unhappy with how he handled it is either incredibly stupid or naive. Take your pick.

I'm judging the decision on the reasons, not the outcome. The outcome has a large degree of luck to it. For example, taking a half court shot in basketball with 20 seconds left on the clock is a terrible decision. Doesn't mean it won't go in.

You know this how?

Not saying you're right or wrong, but unless you're better informed than @RLACML, who's to say who's right?

​How do I know he's a businessman doing what he thinks is right? I urge you to rethink that question. He's hardly going to be here to sabotage something he has put money into.

​I can feel a song coming on.

Seriously tho' - I don't feel as bad as I did when we sacked Clough, maybe that was because we'd just lost to the dogs and it was more 'personal'  but, these last two or so months, seriously, something happened, something major.  Sad times, but we all knew it was coming.

Another chapter starts......

And thread :ph34r:

​How do I know he's a businessman doing what he thinks is right? I urge you to rethink that question. He's hardly going to be here to sabotage something he has put money into.

Fan hysteria, and thinking he's doing best aren't mutually exclusive events. Of course he thinks he's making the right choice.

PistoldPete2

Quite a terse statement from the Rams I thought... Don't think termination discussions went well

Fan hysteria, and thinking he's doing best aren't mutually exclusive events. Of course he thinks he's making the right choice.

​It's about how you interpret his decision, if he is even the one that has made it. You know that he thinks he's making the right choice, and his judgement has made him a lot of money remember, but you can't possibly know whether he's the type to be hysterical or not. That's pure speculation, to coin an apt phrase.

Why do I have to have met him? Pat Murphy said that Morris wasn't happy with how McClaren had handled the Newcastle speculation. That's pretty much a fact. I think that anyone who was unhappy with how he handled it is either incredibly stupid or naive. Take your pick.

I'm judging the decision on the reasons, not the outcome. The outcome has a large degree of luck to it. For example, taking a half court shot in basketball with 20 seconds left on the clock is a terrible decision. Doesn't mean it won't go in.

I worked for MM for 2 years. He's not stupid or naive, he is a successful businessman by not being stupid or naive funnily enough, i think those traits might have held him back somewhat.

He also possesses a great deal of humility, and treats his staff exceptionally well. Your comments do not reflect the man i knew in any way whatsoever. 

He's also a massive Derby fan, and not in a Fawaz way. We are in very good hands.

​It's about how you interpret his decision, if he is even the one that has made it. You know that he thinks he's making the right choice, and his judgement has made him a lot of money remember, but you can't possibly know whether he's the type to be hysterical or not. That's pure speculation, to coin an apt phrase.

Football is completely different to business. He's made a decision that the hysterical fans on here would have. If it had been for footballing reasons, then that's a completely different matter, but it's clearly not.

Archived