McClaren out?

Posh Ram

Should Steve McClaren be fired?  

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quote on the BBC:

Derby head coach Steve McClaren: "I'm really annoyed, angry, and frustrated about the last two months and am really determined to do something about it.

"I'm not making a pledge, this is how I feel at the present moment. I'm under contract at Derby and I've said that all along. I've been questioned about all the speculation which has been going on for about six months.

"My intention is to sort this out. No one has told me otherwise and until somebody does, that's my determination.

"I'm angry, frustrated, I want to do something about it. I want to sit down with everybody next week, I think it's too raw, too early to make any kind of statement but what I say is what I mean."

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit sad to learn from previous mistakes after the final game.  There is a serious flaw in his skills, saw it at Wembley and in most of 2015.  As soon as GT was gone nobody at the club seemed to have any faith left, we just gave up

​I don't think anyone within the club just gave up. My hope is that when McClaren reflects on the whole season he realises where he has gone wrong.

Call yourself fans...

​I'm pretty sure that many who are currently posting their bile on here at the moment booed at half time and then fecked off after 70 minutes.

Ridiculous to fire Steve now. He's under contract and we'd have to pay him to leave. In the other hand, if someone comes in for him and he wants to go, then they pay us and we have some compensation. He needs to declare his position early and allow us to rebuild over the coming 3 months.

Do people not realise that the reason Warburton is leaving Brentford is because they want a management structure the same as ours? He wouldn't come here because his job role (head coach and not manager) would not allow him to be in full control of transfers etc. 

We finished about where I thought we would ,but the season was the opposite way round .I thought we would have a hang over from last year ,pick up later in the season  and just miss out.

When we started better than expected  I thought we may get away with it, but it has not panned out that way . 

​I'm pretty sure that many who are currently posting their bile on here at the moment booed at half time and then fecked off after 70 minutes.

Hopefully they won't be back watching us next season, bloke sat 2 rows behind me actually booed when we kept possession, after calling Forsyth and keogh throughout the game.  Don't get me wrong, the performance today was not acceptable but some so called fans ruin the experience for them sitting around.

A lot of posters  on here seem glad we lost, they can bump threads saying I told you so,  they seem to take pleasure out of the disappointment of others, and then this thread.

SM has made mistakes this season,the players nerves may have got the better of them, given the fact we haven't been out the top 6 since sept does suggest we have under performed but this is not through the lack of trying.  Listen to martins interview, it doesn't sound to me like the dressing room has been lost, it sounds like the players are as disappointed as some of the fans.

Listen to SM, he is not happy, he wants to put things right, and we have fans who want him sacked.  No he has not said he does not want the Newcastle job, so what, it could be his dream job, it's football there is always going to be possibility players or managers move on when they are successful.

I hope he is here next season, I hope some of the so called fans are not :-)

It makes me laugh, all this ' lost the dressing room'! Can it be that grown men, professional footballers, can't motivate themselves for a chance to play in the Premiership because they're miffed with the manager?

I voted no , but if he is to go Mr Rush , do not hang about , there is loads of work to be done with this team before next season.

Mascarell , Lingard , Bent , Ince  all gone.

Hughes possibly gone.

Most of the rest confidence gone , big job .

It makes me laugh, all this ' lost the dressing room'! Can it be that grown men, professional footballers, can't motivate themselves for a chance to play in the Premiership because they're miffed with the manager?

​Brentford imploded when they heard that Warburton was definitely not going to be manager next season.. :ph34r:

I am as bitterly disappointed about today as most others on here. That said, I am not at all surprised by today's result, it is merely a continuation of our very poor and inconsistent form over the last 8 weeks and the harsh facts are we are not yet good enough for promotion.

What we must not do is make any panic decisions. If Steve McLaren chooses to resign that's his decision however I do not want to see him sacked. The weaknesses in the side are glaringly obvious and he must be given the summer transfer window to make the changes needed. If we are still in the same position in 12 months time then maybe that would be the right time to look at other options to take us forward.

COYR

I also voted no.

I think overall he's done enough to deserve another chance at it.

I'm gutted tonight. gutted for you lot the fans, gutted for friends I'm made over he last few years on here and gutted for the squad that deserved to go up.

But for those comparing the Warburton situation with the Mac situation.

1) Warburton clearly didn't want to leave cos he'd had his  head turned to take another job, he felt his position had become untenable.

2) Warburton clearly didn't lose faith with his first choice 11 and continuously fill the side with loan players.

I took a lot of stick for this earlier and some of you no doubt will dish it out again.

Last year the squad was mightily close to going up, possibly and in fact probably should have. McClaren asked them to galvanise themselves and come back and give it another crack, players turned down Premier League moves to stay.  then he proceeded to replace key players with loan signings and allegedly the rumour of him leaving has unsettled other key players.

Anyone who doesn't think that's going to upset the balance hasn't been in a dressing room.

I got hammered earlier in the season when I said the big test is how McClaren integrates HIS signings with the Clough squad and how he handles leaving players out, I'm afraid he's not managed that side of it very well at all.

I think he should show some loyalty, stick around and have another go at it, but I think in order to succeed he's going to have shift out those players he's let down and again the test will some in his permanent signings which haven't been a spectacular success so far.

Horrible day and really anti climatic end to the season, I didn't think for one minute the result would be that Derby missed out on the play offs altogether, a shocking last two to three months.

IF McClaren is to go we absolutely MUST get a high profile manager who can attract big players. Warburton has done well as an underdog at a small club but Derby is different prospect altogether. If he is to go its Loudrup for me. Good football good contacts.

Why? Brentford and Ipswich didn't need big names to get into the playoffs. Bournemouth aren't exactly overloaded with big names. In fact can't think of two many big players at Watford or Boro when I come to think of it.  Depends what you want I suppose. If you want to watch attacking flair, some good fancy players, etc., then I guess Laudrup could be your man.  If you want to get up then you might be better off with Allardyce. 

PistoldPete2

I shouted out please don't boo at half time... Ffs in. Such a big game can't they just support the team. And leaving after 70 mins? Mind u even I was heading for the exits when the peno as awarded. 

He can be be fired if he makes the same mistakes next season. You'd like to think he will bring in the experience we need and have cover. Cant rely on Thorne being available whilst he is so injury prone. Eustace is set to retire also. You also need a way of playing the percentages when team confidence drops. We saw it under Clough when Commons, Bueno and Sifka were here. When we needed to battle and we werent playing the possesion game anymore he needed some steel.

I've voted no. I think he deserves another season - especially after I was so patient with Clough. But I don't want him here if these Newcastle rumours persist - it's too destabilising for the fans and the atmosphere around the club. He needs to make a black and white statement about his intent. 

Archived