McClaren out?

Posh Ram

Should Steve McClaren be fired?  

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all of the Newcastle talk isn't resolved within the next week then sack him. 

He needs to make a statement if he wants to stay saying "I'M STAYING AT DERBY" (Yes, in caps). Then he can start planning for next season. But all this "Ooo, I'm contracted at Derby and will asses the situation" or what ever he comes out with is rubbish. Fans want a proper answer (or at least I do). YES or NO. Not all this cryptic stuff.  

His permanent signings have been *****. Really *****. Albentosa looks a right donkey. Whether that's Chris Evans / Scouting team I don't know. But surely McClaren has final say? It's something that needs to improve in the summer whether McClaren is here or not. Loan signings have been superb but it's not enough.

I want him to stay but only if the Newcastle thing is put to bed fast. If not, then please hurry up and leave so we can get a new manager in. 

Either way, I'm fully behind Sam Rush in what ever he decides. Just need it resolving fast. 

maclaren needs to sit down and talk with the board and sam rush, and talk in detail about his plans

not just we will improve, im contracted, i want to stay here

lay out all his plans, his tactical plans for next season backup plans as well, coaching plans, ideas in the transfer market, both buying and selling, changes for personnel, everything (if he even wants to be here)

then the board/rush need to analyse before a decision is made, test how many ideas and how adaptive he really is

Be interesting to see what is said about McClaren's time here in the future. 

8th is still higher than most of the last 10 years. He does have a 50+% win rate. 

We all think fondly of Burley. 

I wouldn't hound him out because you don't know what the alternatives are and if we sink back to where we have spent most our time then suddenly McClaren might seem every bit as good as Burley. 

Only Rush knows what's out there. 

Do you really want McClaren out? Without knowing the alternatives? 

I think some people think our players are better than they are. A lot of what's good about us has been the system and style. Half these players are playing at the highest level they've played. 

If all of the Newcastle talk isn't resolved within the next week then sack him. 

He needs to make a statement if he wants to stay saying "I'M STAYING AT DERBY" (Yes, in caps). Then he can start planning for next season. But all this "Ooo, I'm contracted at Derby and will asses the situation" or what ever he comes out with is rubbish. Fans want a proper answer (or at least I do). YES or NO. Not all this cryptic stuff.  

His permanent signings have been *****. Really *****. Albentosa looks a right donkey. Whether that's Chris Evans / Scouting team I don't know. But surely McClaren has final say? It's something that needs to improve in the summer whether McClaren is here or not. Loan signings have been superb but it's not enough.

I want him to stay but only if the Newcastle thing is put to bed fast. If not, then please hurry up and leave so we can get a new manager in. 

Either way, I'm fully behind Sam Rush in what ever he decides. Just need it resolving fast. 

​I voted yes, but if he isn't go, I'll survive. He just needs a very big slap on the hand.

Agree that his signings have been dodgy. For Albentosa, the jury's out, imo.

Hits: Thorne, Dawkins

Misses: Christie, Shotton, Warnock.

In general, we've been weak in the loan market, as well.

Disgusted by some of our so called 'fans'.

See you next season. I don't want to be a part of a forum full of moaners all summer.

Have to agree.

when he joined - Derby's chief executive, Sam Rush, said: "Our goal is to have Derby County competing for a play-off place and beyond,...

He is only in his second season and we have had a trip to Wembley and a last day disappointment that has resulted in us just missing out on play offs. 

I find it bizarre people want him sacked, he is trying to rebuilding the club, and least give him time to do it.

I find it bizarre people want him sacked, he is trying to rebuilding the club, and least give him time to do it.

​Agreed. So why doesn't he just come out and say that he's staying. What's it got to do with Newcastle? He can just say "I'm staying" irrespective of their supposed interest.

How much longer does he need to make such a clear and simple statement?

For me, he shouldn't be fired, or allowed to leave. He's had one, yes ONE summer window to improve the team, he's had one, yes ONE full season as manager. He needs to be allowed to build his own team.

He will have learned a lot about this team in the last couple of months, and I think that is a good thing. If you change manager now, the next manager will come in and put faith in the players that McClaren will rightly boot out now.

I think the club tried to be a bit cute in the transfer market and make do with the bulk of inherited players, I think this summer should see 3 or 4 quality signings minimum to shore up the spine of the team.

You can put a golden saddle on a donkey, but it doesn't make it a thoroughbred racehorse, it's still a donkey.

Derby spent the majority of the season in a false position over-achieving. The fans knew it, and made it clear to the players that they were not good enough to win promotion. Therefore cannot be upset about it.

The previous manager was given 5 years to do it his way, which was 4 summer transfer windows. McClaren deserves a chance to rebuild this frail team.

Be interesting to see what is said about McClaren's time here in the future. 

8th is still higher than most of the last 10 years. He does have a 50+% win rate. 

We all think fondly of Burley. 

I wouldn't hound him out because you don't know what the alternatives are and if we sink back to where we have spent most our time then suddenly McClaren might seem every bit as good as Burley. 

Only Rush knows what's out there. 

Do you really want McClaren out? Without knowing the alternatives? 

I think some people think our players are better than they are. A lot of what's good about us has been the system and style. Half these players are playing at the highest level they've played. 

​First time i disagree with you. He needs to go.

We have no automatic right to be promoted.

Mac turned things around and turned an average side into table toppers.

We were top and great for months even after Mac was linked with Newcastle.

He attracted proven and yet to be proven Prem players including England U21s.

He has a top quality coaching team.

He lost 3 holding midfielders, a prem winger called back after a few months, a key centre back, his top striker/play maker. Last year's PoTY was injured and out of form all season.

Then a Prem team says they want him. He says 'there is no job let's move on'. How can he rule himself out of a job that doesn't exist? 

A few poor results and lots of bad luck. We get on his case and now want to gamble as we've got such a great track record of picking winning managers. Basically Jim Smith since Arthur Cox, 1 in 20?.

Mac today says he wants 'brilliant work over the summer' as in 'sign me some proven talent'.

it has been a shambles but uv he can fix it we can fly once again. 

Keep the faith.

People defending mac, if clough was still in charge and was given the players that mac was given and finished 8th he would have been ridiculed.

​not at all. Clough had 4 summers. McClaren has had one. You may say Mac was given players, but who? We are short on defenders and midfielders, so tell me all of these players you think he has been given!

Target was top 6 minimum, he was given all he asked for in terms of signing up players and bringing in players and has failed.

It's not a clear cut decision, but i think it's time to close this chapter.

just don't boot, take the newcastle compo with a snapped off hand.

​You don't actually know that. Just because he doesn't moan like other managers might have, doesn't mean he's been given everything he asked for. There's no way he wanted the whole season with no replacement for Thorne or alternative CBs

The core of nigels team look fed up.

the way no-one interacted with albentosa  during the half time warm up the other week convinced me that there is a schism in the squad.

the recruitment hasn't worked.

we have acquired some very ordinary players

suddenly the task of rebuilding Derby is starting to look like a big job.

Why do people think changing the manager brings about change for the better?

i think the mgt team need to decide what in their opinion were the mistakes, and make sure they are not repeated. Then you have a summer to prepare for next season.

- less chopping and changing

- less loan players and loans we bring in we want for a full season

- focus on having key players fit - Hughes, Martin, Thorne. No other player is classed as key

- decide early what he intend to do with the defence, and then execute that change.

however, until he categorically states that he will be manager at derby on the 1st day of the season if the board want him to be, the rumours won't go. Saying you have a contract leaves a route out of the club.

​You don't actually know that. Just because he doesn't moan like other managers might have, doesn't mean he's been given everything he asked for. There's no way he wanted the whole season with no replacement for Thorne or alternative CBs

I think you are right there.

i think he wanted more backing - even if it was just james wilson on loan.

IF McClaren is to go we absolutely MUST get a high profile manager who can attract big players. Warburton has done well as an underdog at a small club but Derby is different prospect altogether. If he is to go its Loudrup for me. Good football good contacts.

you think he is going to leave qatar to come to a championship team?

Archived