McClaren out?

Posh Ram

Should Steve McClaren be fired?  

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Steve but he's done tonnes of stuff weirdly when the going got tough and that's the true test of a leader. It's easy sitting up in the stands when you're drilling everything put in front of you.

Wouldn't be pleased as a toon fan if he goes. 

Warburton in for me.

I like McClaren, felt he was ealt a tough one with injuries and I'm convinced had we kept our best XI fit after the january transfer window we would have at least been in with a shout for the automatics.

But one thing I can't forgive is the abandoning of the fast-paced flowing football in order to look for a more controlled outcome. It was the right idea in principal, but the wrong league to execute it.

In the PL it would have been fine adopting a more Swansea approach, as better players can follow simple instructions, cut out mistakes and quality will shine though - one attribute I'm sure we would have had with PL additions.

But in the Championship, too many players have failed to grasp what the manager has asked of them. Players like Hendrick, Bryson, Forsyth and Grant have gone backwards from last season.

McClaren has 'lost the dressing room' (a phrase I hate) but the belief in the players is gone. They need a fresh start, and I don't trust McClaren's judgement in players based on the Warnock, Shotton, Albentosa signings.

We need to resort back to that Bournemouth/Brentford-style youthfulness of fast-paced football without worrying about the consequences. We were more open last year, but conceded less as a result of attacking more.

Warburton has got Brentford playing exactly how I want Derby to play.

Slick on the counterattack, full of pace and a shoot-on-sight policy. At the Ipro, they were the only team who genuinely looked like scoring everytime they entered the final third - due to good play, and not mistakes/set-pieces.

Warburton in for me.

I like McClaren, felt he was ealt a tough one with injuries and I'm convinced had we kept our best XI fit after the january transfer window we would have at least been in with a shout for the automatics.

But one thing I can't forgive is the abandoning of the fast-paced flowing football in order to look for a more controlled outcome. It was the right idea in principal, but the wrong league to execute it.

In the PL it would have been fine adopting a more Swansea approach, as better players can follow simple instructions, cut out mistakes and quality will shine though - one attribute I'm sure we would have had with PL additions.

But in the Championship, too many players have failed to grasp what the manager has asked of them. Players like Hendrick, Bryson, Forsyth and Grant have gone backwards from last season.

McClaren has 'lost the dressing room' (a phrase I hate) but the belief in the players is gone. They need a fresh start, and I don't trust McClaren's judgement in players based on the Warnock, Shotton, Albentosa signings.

We need to resort back to that Bournemouth/Brentford-style youthfulness of fast-paced football without worrying about the consequences. We were more open last year, but conceded less as a result of attacking more.

Warburton has got Brentford playing exactly how I want Derby to play.

Slick on the counterattack, full of pace and a shoot-on-sight policy. At the Ipro, they were the only team who genuinely looked like scoring everytime they entered the final third - due to good play, and not mistakes/set-pieces.

​Warburton for me all the way if Mac goes. Brentford were my favourite team I saw at the ipro this season. Tactically perfect as well they had a plan for everything but with great free flowing football.

Warburton absolute no brainer seems a very confident man who knows what he wants to do and how to do it.

Warburton as done an excellent job at Brentford ....   can see him taking the helm at Q.P.R  ......         and Derby will get Rowett  " CHEAP AND CHEERFUL "   just how the owners like them

Was S McClaren cheap and cheerful? 

Was S McClaren cheap and cheerful?

​Hi Mostyn ...  not spoken since you asked me if i was serious about Derby not making the play offs   end of march  ;)

dont know what McClaren was paid ...but his tactics  have been  cheap these past few months

I don't want McClaren to go, it's not like he has done a bad job overall but I don't quite trust he has the dressing room anymore.

By that, I don't think there is an uprising against him but I just don't think he is getting his ideas across anymore or that the players are playing to the beat of his sound. 

There was no plan, structure or anything today. I can't really say they lacked the energy or effort individually, but they looked lost when playing together. 

Probably the worst team performance I've seen this season and it just showed how disjointed we have become. We have lost our identity. 

If he can't get it back then rather than a change in personnel, it may be easier just to change the manager to someone who can do what McClaren initially did.

The only player that looked like he didn't give a toss today, worryingly, was Russell. The rest were busting a gut but showing nothing for it. 

McClaren for most of this season managed to get something amazing from an average bunch of players, who should be no more than mid-table. Then they got found out in March. A few key injuries and the loss of Ibe was our down fall. Don't blame SMc, it is the players that let us down over the past two months. Football is about money these days and getting good players to your club. If we went up we would have had to change the whole team to stay up. This lot would have broken Derby's own record of 11 points in a season. I think that we may be resigned to many more years of disappointment yet. It is a shame for the team that has the highest attendances in the football league and most of the Premiership. The supporters deserve more.

The most worrying thing I saw today was a team which, in its biggest game of the season, and when it had a draw or beat a side in 19th place and having lost seven in a row, lacking in organisation, spirit and motivation.

There are lots of reasons why what has happened has happened, but when you see players behave like they did today, it told me one thing - that they had no desire to play for the manager. @Mostyn6 can't even blame the fans for this one (though I'm sure he will) they gave it a real go in the second half and got back nothing from the team.

Given the total collapse which McClaren has overseen, there's a good argument for sacking him or allowing him to leave - the outcome is the same. Equally, his record is good so there's an argument to say he should stay and sort his own mess out.

I imagine Derby will wait until the Prem season is over and see what truth there has been in the whole Newcastle saga  - though I suspect they already know - before taking a decision.

I'm afraid I've lost a lot of respect for and faith in McClaren this season. I've been unimpressed with him on and off the pitch, and I'm not really bothered whether he stays or goes - I think Derby are a good enough proposition to attract a good manager to finish the job McClaren has been unable to. If he stays and learns his lessons then great, as long as when the next story about him moving on is dealt with a lot better by him than it has this time.

The most worrying thing I saw today was a team which, in its biggest game of the season, and when it had a draw or beat a side in 19th place and having lost seven in a row, lacking in organisation, spirit and motivation.

There are lots of reasons why what has happened has happened, but when you see players behave like they did today, it told me one thing - that they had no desire to play for the manager. @Mostyn6 can't even blame the fans for this one (though I'm sure he will) they gave it a real go in the second half and got back nothing from the team.

Given the total collapse which McClaren has overseen, there's a good argument for sacking him or allowing him to leave - the outcome is the same. Equally, his record is good so there's an argument to say he should stay and sort his own mess out.

I imagine Derby will wait until the Prem season is over and see what truth there has been in the whole Newcastle saga  - though I suspect they already know - before taking a decision.

I'm afraid I've lost a lot of respect for and faith in McClaren this season. I've been unimpressed with him on and off the pitch, and I'm not really bothered whether he stays or goes - I think Derby are a good enough proposition to attract a good manager to finish the job McClaren has been unable to. If he stays and learns his lessons then great, as long as when the next story about him moving on is dealt with a lot better by him than it has this time.

I dont think we can wait for the premiership to finish. We need answers in the next week. It needs to be clarified what direction we are going in. 

My issue is that we have become way too predictable in the way that we play, even before Martin was injured. He has brought in a system where there is not enough variation in the way that we play, making us relatively easy to play against if you want to defend. We used to have a team that passed the ball crisply to feet, players were happy to receive the ball even with someone on their back. That has now gone for some unknown reason. Personally, I don't mind if he stays and gets a grip, or goes and we get someone else in. He said that he learnt from mistakes he made elsewhere. Let's hope if he stays, that he has learnt from his shortfalls in performance this season.

I dont think we can wait for the premiership to finish. We need answers in the next week. It needs to be clarified what direction we are going in. 

​Personally, I don't think he will be sacked, I don't think we're that kind of club. And I doubt he will walk.

However, if Newcastle come calling it won't be until after their season ends, so I suspect that's when we will get a clearer picture. 

I'm sure senior people behind the scenes are aware of what's going on and making any necessary phone calls, even if it seems to the public nothing is happening.

I want stability and not uncertainty, and hope Mac will remain. Things might change though, you never know!

After John Carver's outburst at his dismissed players today, I'm surprised that forums and media columns aren't at bursting point declaring that Carver must step aside at Newcastle for Mac to get up to St James Park urgently, in a last-ditch bid to secure a couple of points from Toon's last three games!

I would love it, love it, if they got relegated :D

Mac's downfall has been to be too loyal to some players - though perhaps (in some instances) through lack of alternatives, for reasons already given. Recent weeks have shown the limitations of several of those he inherited and trusted.

Leadership and defensive stability have been so sorely lacking. Seeing that first Reading goal on playback was cringeworthy; daft pass by Hughes, then Albentosa skinned...but how Captain Keogh then sledged in and made up the forward's mind was shocking. Bad decisions, rash challenges, an exposed goal, the pattern has been evident all season.

We need defenders to stand up and shepherd an opponent away, to be strong. It was symptomatic of endemic inadequacies and it set the fateful pattern for the Reading game.

It will be an interesting summer!

My issue is that we have become way too predictable in the way that we play, even before Martin was injured. He has brought in a system where there is not enough variation in the way that we play, making us relatively easy to play against if you want to defend. We used to have a team that passed the ball crisply to feet, players were happy to receive the ball even with someone on their back. That has now gone for some unknown reason. Personally, I don't mind if he stays and gets a grip, or goes and we get someone else in. He said that he learnt from mistakes he made elsewhere. Let's hope if he stays, that he has learnt from his shortfalls in performance this season.

A bit sad to learn from previous mistakes after the final game.  There is a serious flaw in his skills, saw it at Wembley and in most of 2015.  As soon as GT was gone nobody at the club seemed to have any faith left, we just gave up

PistoldPete2

If Mac stays he needs to do something about our recruitment policy... Is it chris Evans who is doing this. If so, his selection of defenders such as christie shotton, albentosa and warnock have not improved us at all. Before we have a clear out we need to look at who it is that's choosing e new recruits cos they've done a **** job. 

On a purely commercial basis we shouldn't fire SM as we would then be in the situation of paying out the compensation - we want the money in not the other way around. I think SM's basic issue for me is that he doesn't make changes until he's forced to - a couple of examples; GT left on the bench too long last season until injury brought him into the side and lo and behold he was fantastic: Omar played at CDM this season for to long when it was clear he was struggling and becoming a liability ; Ibe on the bench too many times when he was also real quality; Calero not given an opportunity instead of Hendrick; adherence to play system 

Archived