McClaren out?

Posh Ram

Should Steve McClaren be fired?  

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

​In fairness, as much as I don't want McClaren out, he spoke very clearly about the 'triangle' of himself, Evans and Rush. The setup appears to be that McClaren says to Evans "find me someone who can play in this position", then Evans comes back with the options, and they pick one. They are not Evans signings. They are team signings.

​But how can you have team signings?

Just as we all have differing  opinions on here about football, then surely the team management and selection is based on sole decision making. How can you have a committee selecting a team or purchasing players.

If this is the process that McClaren has agreed to then he is far poorer that I even think he is.

Rush and Evans selecting the team, God help us!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as we all have differing  opinions on here about football, then surely the team management and selection is based on sole decision making. How can you have a committee selecting a team or purchasing players.

If this is the process that McClaren has agreed to then he is far poorer that I even think he is.

​huh? Team signings (as in a team of people get together and decide who to sign), nothing to do with selecting the starting eleven ffs!

​Evans has a list of possible options in each position. McClaren will go through the list with Evans and they will decide who to pursue. Those 2 will then ask Rush to talk to the owners about giving them the money to make the move. 

It is a team effort. All 3 are involved. 

That is how having a head of football operations, CEO and Head Coach system works. 

​Well never now i guess, but I do know that our best performances came with Cloughs players as the nucleus of the team. When McClaren, for whatever reason, elected to tinker and sign a succession of loan players we went backwards rapidly.

Was this McClaren's choice or was working on the orders Rush?

I honestly believe we are now in a worse state than when Clough was sacked.

​Yep, agree with the bit in bold! I don't think McClaren is trying to force his players in though. Some changes were forced due to the injuries and some players have simply been dropped because they are out of form. I'm sure if Martin stayed fit then Bent wouldn't have started so many games. 

I don't think we are in a bad state at all either. The squad has a bit more depth and cover in certain positions which can only be a good thing. It's still a good squad providing we keep hold of key players like Martin and Hughes.

We’ve had two largely successful seasons under Mac. I’ll never forget that Brighton away leg in the PO Semi’s, we were brilliant, best football I’ve ever seen us play. Give him some more time and lets see if he can get us back to that. If not then yes his time is probably up, but I’ll wish him all the best, just like I did with Clough!

Well I obviously forgot that it was the home leg where we played so well! 

I'm not having McClaren criticised for dropping Derby-owned players in favour of loan players by someone who says he'd rather have Clough here! Clough regularly dropped or played players out of position to accommodate loan players!

What I don't get is why people cannot for some reason see that clough had 5 years,yes he did and that's along time,he also had 5 years with very little room for wages and transfers and as soon as that loosend he was sacked.

Yes McLaren has more contacts better coaching methods but what clough had was building an excellent team spirit and as far as criticing players in public and yes I don't like that but his dad did it and we all loved him didn't we.

My main beef is he should have been given a chance with some money.

Duck me I think I've slipped back into 2012....

anyways, Will Clough go if he don't get the blunts promoted?

biggest budget..... Attracted players from championship.... Decent crowds. 

And yet 20 points off Brizzle City.

at least he got to the play offs mind eh?

still not a patch on Mac....

I'm not having McClaren criticised for dropping Derby-owned players in favour of loan players by someone who says he'd rather have Clough here! Clough regularly dropped or played players out of position to accommodate loan players!

who played out of position to accommodate loan players?

when he covered RB because of injuries? Hardly regularly playing players out of position to accommodate loan players

Mostyn is right though. 

when he covered RB because of injuries? Hardly regularly playing players out of position to accommodate loan players

He didn't just play right back though did he? He was put out on the wing a few times whilst Lee Johnson took his place, and Michael Tonge! 

I hope schteve can get his head right and commit to the job he is paid to do.

we don't really want another managerial upheaval.

schteve needs to listen to other people's opinions of what went wrong, not force his opinion onto everyone else, because the consensus seems to be that he was responsible for quite a few errors of judgement:

the ill fated pre-season boot camp; 

certain player acquisitions;

excessive chopping and changing;

playing loan players ahead of Derby County senior pros and upsetting the team spirit;

no plan B;

possible flirting with Newcastle - however direct or indirect.

in the end he seems to have made the same mistakes at Derby that he made at Forest.

Whoever is in charge needs to have a vision for moving forward which solves the problems quickly.

No fudges. No hoping that error-prone players suddenly become solid and reliable. 

I hope schteve can get his head right and commit to the job he is paid to do.

we don't really want another managerial upheaval.

schteve needs to listen to other people's opinions of what went wrong, not force his opinion onto everyone else, because the consensus seems to be that he was responsible for quite a few errors of judgement:

the ill fated pre-season boot camp; 

certain player acquisitions;

excessive chopping and changing;

playing loan players ahead of Derby County senior pros and upsetting the team spirit;

no plan B;

possible flirting with Newcastle - however direct or indirect.

in the end he seems to have made the same mistakes at Derby that he made at Forest.

Whoever is in charge needs to have a vision for moving forward which solves the problems quickly.

No fudges. No hoping that error-prone players suddenly become solid and reliable. 

It made sense until you mentioned the spell at Forest, not sure that counts in anything, he was there for a few wks ffs! 

It made sense until you mentioned the spell at Forest, not sure that counts in anything, he was there for a few wks ffs! 

Yes but he admitted he made mistakes.

too many changes which upset the squad 

I haven't voted. Genuinely don't know the answer, but hopefully Sam Rush does.  

I do think Mac has moved the club forward over the last 20 months, but he has seriously under performed in the last 4 months. What I do know is that this in part was down to woeful bad luck with injuries to key players, and in further part to the erratic form of many of those who stayed fit - Keogh, Christie, Grant, Shotton and Hendrick specifically.  I also believe that Mac has made some almost amateurish tactical decisions in respect of not having anything else other than a Plan A, and then trying to hammer square pegs in to round holes.

Overall I think I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, and allow him the time to analyse what went so wrong, who under-performed, who he wants to keep, and then make what I think need to be some wholesale changes to the squad.  

However, I come to that conclusion on the assumption that no deals "were agreed or implied" with Newcastle back in January, and that he did not communicate his position with any players.  If a deal with Newcastle for season end was agreed, or he did anything that undermined his authority in the dressing room, then he simply has to go. No way back, even if Newcastle might not want him now, or vice versa.  If Rush is aware of the latter he should bring Mac and Ashley together early this week and do the deal, waiving some of the compensation if necessary to make it happen. If the deal can't be done, then Mac should be sacked - he should not be allowed back other than to say some goodbyes and unplug his white phone - and Rush should drive Mac, together with his phone and brolly, up to the North East.

Note: Even if Mac did communicate his decision to players that does not provide them with any excuse for their poor performances, individually and collectively - they are professionals and very well rewarded.

p.s. On the basis I haven't voted I would welcome someone lets me know the poll figures in due course.

I haven't voted. Genuinely don't know the answer, but hopefully Sam Rush does.  

I do think Mac has moved the club forward over the last 20 months, but he has seriously under performed in the last 4 months. What I do know is that this in part was down to woeful bad luck with injuries to key players, and in further part to the erratic form of many of those who stayed fit - Keogh, Christie, Grant, Shotton and Hendrick specifically.  I also believe that Mac has made some almost amateurish tactical decisions in respect of not having anything else other than a Plan A, and then trying to hammer square pegs in to round holes.

Overall I think I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, and allow him the time to analyse what went so wrong, who under-performed, who he wants to keep, and then make what I think need to be some wholesale changes to the squad.  

However, I come to that conclusion on the assumption that no deals "were agreed or implied" with Newcastle back in January, and that he did not communicate his position with any players.  If a deal with Newcastle for season end was agreed, or he did anything that undermined his authority in the dressing room, then he simply has to go. No way back, even if Newcastle might not want him now, or vice versa.  If Rush is aware of the latter he should bring Mac and Ashley together early this week and do the deal, waiving some of the compensation if necessary to make it happen. If the deal can't be done, then Mac should be sacked - he should not be allowed back other than to say some goodbyes and unplug his white phone - and Rush should drive Mac, together with his phone and brolly, up to the North East.

Note: Even if Mac did communicate his decision to players that does not provide them with any excuse for their poor performances, individually and collectively - they are professionals and very well rewarded.

p.s. On the basis I haven't voted I would welcome someone lets me know the poll figures in due course.

​79 (43.4%) Yes

103 (56.6%) No

Archived