Best TV Dramas

12 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Probably been mentioned in here before - Peaky Blinders. Everyone's bumming it at the minute, but just seems like a third-rate Boardwalk Empire to me.

Does it get better after series one?

I love Peaky Blinders. Second is better than first. Third is below those two. Returns to form in fourth. That's just my opinion of course. 

Haven't seen, or heard of Boardwalk Empire, so can't comment or compare. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, David said:

Avoided it myself due to the hype and find it hard to believe that the BBC have something worth watching

You should watch it. Bbc still do some good stuff. Line of Duty is ace. Luther was good, at least the earlier ones.

Started McMafia. Could turn out good but not sure yet after 2 epidodes.

Peaky Blinders is so good. The imagery of industrial Birmingham is awesome. Simple plot lines, nothing too clever - loads of action - very cool. You can watch it drunk and you won't miss any intricate bits because there aren't any - just good fun. And Tom Hardy is sexy as ****.

7 minutes ago, Moist One said:

@Dr. Gonzo easily the cleverest collective of television around. It annoys me that I cannot get people at work to watch it just so I can talk about it.

S4 is out now though.

that'd be some really wierd stuff to talk about to work colleagues though int it.i can see it going down really well, 

"dyou see that program  last night where the prime minister had to f*ck a pig on telly janet?" 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

that'd be some really wierd stuff to talk about to work colleagues though int it.i can see it going down really well, 

"dyou see that program  last night where the prime minister had to f*ck a pig on telly janet?" 

one lad wouldn't watch another episode after that! 

8 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I love Peaky Blinders. Second is better than first. Third is below those two. Returns to form in fourth. That's just my opinion of course. 

Haven't seen, or heard of Boardwalk Empire, so can't comment or compare. 

Will give it another series, but can't lie, first one was a bit of a slog.

Tommy Shelby as an anti-hero doesn't, or hasn't yet, quite grabbed me like Walter White, Tony Soprano, even Don Draper. He only seems to have one side to him - i.e. unlikeable psycho who never smiles. There's been no reason for me to root for him so far.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Will give it another series, but can't lie, first one was a bit of a slog.

Tommy Shelby as an anti-hero doesn't, or hasn't yet, quite grabbed me like Walter White, Tony Soprano, even Don Draper. He only seems to have one side to him - i.e. unlikeable psycho who never smiles. There's been no reason for me to root for him so far.

There's probably no point if it's not working for you. Too much other stuff you could be enjoying. 

Of those others, Tony Soprano is the only one I'm familiar with. I enjoyed the first two series of that, but lost interest very quickly after that. 

20 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

There's probably no point if it's not working for you. Too much other stuff you could be enjoying. 

Of those others, Tony Soprano is the only one I'm familiar with. I enjoyed the first two series of that, but lost interest very quickly after that. 

I've slowly been working thru Sopranos over the last couple of years depending when it's on Now TV. I appreciate what it did at the time but don't think it's dated very well, unlike Twin Peaks and Six Feet Under say, which both are still incredible.

3 hours ago, Moist One said:

@Dr. Gonzo easily the cleverest collective of television around. It annoys me that I cannot get people at work to watch it just so I can talk about it.

S4 is out now though.

Maybe you should force hem to watch the San Junipero episode. I think that might be one of the greatest bits of tv or film ever made.

S4 was still really good but nothing quite as mind blowing as that episode. Thought there was perhaps a little too much similarity across the series as opposed to new concepts.

I liked the name check of 'Stanhope Road'. Didn't make up for the lack of Screenwipe, but a nice little nod towards it.

Anyone watching The Orville?

Saw the first 2 episodes last night but can't work out if it's supposed to be an homage to Star Trek or a spoof.

Not sure whether to bother with it, as I also find Seth McFarlane a bit annoying.

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Anyone watching The Orville?

Saw the first 2 episodes last night but can't work out if it's supposed to be an homage to Star Trek or a spoof.

Not sure whether to bother with it, as I also find Seth McFarlane a bit annoying.

Nah - ducked out of that one. 

Just finished bingeing the first series of stranger things. It’s a rare programme where I know next to nothing about it, other than I’ve heard it’s good.

it was great, my wife even liked it. More than a touch of ET / Super 8. I guess it’s supposed to riff off lots of that 80s stuff though. 

Then went straight into series 2, and that was brilliant too. 

Onto Punisher now. Of the Marvel Netflix series, that’s proving to be one of the best. 

On 1/14/2018 at 20:36, Moist One said:

am watching Marcella on Netflix. Got to admit, it's been brilliant so far. Am on episode 6. Anna Friel is still lovely too :wub:

genuinely never heard anyone mention this, never read any reviews on any forum/social media, IN fact, I can vaguely recall seeing a clip on Gogglebox. 

I'm so glad I watched it. I think it's a quality bit of television. I recommend to anyone.

Archived