Best TV Dramas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Just finished first season of Altered Carbon.

Big fan of the book its based on, and absolutely loved it.Great graphics, action, etc.Highly recommend if a fan of sci-fi.

Good to here, just been released here on Netflix and I'm tuning in tonight.

11 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Big fan of the book its based on, and absolutely loved it.Great graphics, action, etc.Highly recommend if a fan of sci-fi.

just bought the book and I am looking forward to reading it

23 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Not dramas but just finished watching series of Brass Eye and The Day Today on Youtube.

Insanely good satire and parody and just the right amount of weird stuff to set it apart.

Watch Time Trumpet on youtube if you liked them. More of sketch show but same style. Not sure if Armando Innuncci was involved in those 2, but guess he was.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/02/2018 at 20:32, AmericanRam said:

On 06/02/2018 at 07:37, McRamFan said:

Good to here, just been released here on Netflix and I'm tuning in tonight.

On 06/02/2018 at 08:08, Spanish said:

just bought the book and I am looking forward to reading it

am about 7 episodes in and I find this addictive but also a social commentary! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it’s been mentioned previously but I’ve been binging on Animal Kingdom on Netflix.

I re-subscribed to Netflix last week (that it coincides with two ‘one month free’ offers is pure happenstance) and it was fair to say I wasn’t overly impressed by what’s available in Australia. So, flitting around for content to watch, I decided to see how badly the Americans treated a remake of an average Australian film (imho] based upon an average book.

In the first few episodes, I half suspected it was meant to be more of a comedy than a drama but it was hard to tell. And the whole sense of ‘what on Earth is going on in this show?’ was exacerbated by the near-sleepwalking performances by Ellen Barkin and the actor playing her eldest son.

I didn’t think I’d persist with it very long but, by the end of season 1, I was hooked. After nearly completing season 3 (in two days), I AM hooked.

And Barkin and the actor playing the eldest son aren’t sleepwalking either. It became very obvious in mid-S1 that Barkin’s portrayal of Smurf is a masterpiece of malevolent understatement. While the plot is telegraphed pretty easily in all three seasons, I’ve found myself watching every slight movement and listening for even the smallest inflection in her voice. The ambiguity laden performance is gripping.

Meanwhile, the character of the eldest son has been building - from a blankness that made me think he was a disposable character likely to be killed off early to the point now, in season 3, that his understated but combustible mix of honour and malevolence is almost as riveting as Barkin’s character.

If you’re like myself and enjoyed the family and other relationships aspects of Sons of Anarchy and Kingdom but found the detritus of those shows a little frustrating and distracting, Animal Kingdom takes the toxic mother-son dynamic of Sons of Anarchy, makes the mother twice as cold and viciously calculating and has three Jaxes, a step-Jax and a grand-Jax to play off against each other and who play each other off against her...

Even though I’ve found the plot direction of each season very predictable, watching the journey as it gets there has been gripping. Sensational.

On 06/10/2017 at 20:57, Gypsy Ram said:

Hap and Leonard on Amazon prime is just brilliant. Set in late 80s southern texas,  a gay black Vietnam vet and his white lady-killer childhood friend, go about solving crime. So good I ordered the book for season three before waiting another 5 months to watch. And I don't usually read fiction.

Season one is a little slow, but season 2 is just brilliant.

Isn’t that the guy who played Omar on The Wire?

If it is him, I am watching this. 

The actor who played Omar - and the character of Omar itself - was incredible. Apparently he was in active heroin addiction for part of the time he was playing Omar too.

39 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

The actor who played Omar - and the character of Omar itself - was incredible. Apparently he was in active heroin addiction for part of the time he was playing Omar too.

He was also the somali pirate in captain Philips. Great character player

16 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

15 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

He was also the somali pirate in captain Philips. Great character player

he also had a good part in Boardwalk Empire.

Archived