George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thorne open to summer move?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11698/9276153/transfer-news-west-brom-midfielder-george-thorne-to-discuss-derby-future-in-the-summer?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=carmichael

On-loan midfielder George Thorne wants to help Derby County to win promotion to the Premier League before discussing his long-term future.

Thorne has made seven appearances for Derby since joining from West Brom in January and he scored his first goal for the club in Good Friday's 2-0 win at Doncaster.

Derby are guaranteed a Championship playoff position, but trail second-placed Burnley by eight points with three games remaining in the race for automatic promotion.

The 21-year-old is not ruling out a permanent deal at the iPro Stadium, but has outlined his ambition to be playing in the Premier League.

"I've always said I want to be playing in the Premier League next season, but it could be with Derby," said Thorne.

"I want to get promoted with Derby and then we can sit down and review things.

"I'm very pleased with my form and want to cement my place for the playoffs.

"Ideally you'd like automatic promotion, but if it comes down to a day at Wembley we'd back ourselves in a one-off game.

"I'm delighted we're in the playoffs, but we will continue to put pressure on Burnley to get that second automatic place. Credit to Burnley, they deserve to be there, but all we can do is win our remaining games."

Can't blame the lad for that view. If we do get promoted we may have other, even better options though. If we don't, I still reckon we might get him, but again there are plenty more fish in the sea. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve could find us another top class youngster to play that position on loan

Tin hat on again, but today's game showed again why Thorne would struggle defensively in that role. Barnsley players skipping past him and running off the back of him.

He has said he will only come to us in the Prem. I would only sign him if we stayed in the Championship.

Cue mass attacks.

Tin hat on again, but today's game showed again why Thorne would struggle defensively in that role. Barnsley players skipping past him and running off the back of him.

He has said he will only come to us in the Prem. I would only sign him if we stayed in the Championship.

Cue mass attacks.

not aaas attack from me, I think you're coming at it at the wrong angle.... Think he's a bit naive at times, still young, will improve.... Who would you rather have there? Can't play Hendrick there as has been proven a few times over last and a couple this season. Hughes and Bryson a no no. I couldn't think of another defensive midfielder in the league I would have at the minute. Bloody good young player in my opinion. We don't need pace all the time in that role. It's about having a decent football brain. I think Thorne has that. Just needs fine tuning.

Cue mass attacks.

Good job its not your decision.

Ultimately, players go from being very average to very brilliant within a season. McCormack and Ings didn't set the world alight last season but this season they are excellent. How many average players did Liverpool have last season but they are not very very good, Henderson springs to mind.

So the question to me is can Thorne become a very good player in this role at the top level? I think he has all the attributes to do this but I also hope he is listening to any advice John Eustace is giving. Small things but know when I commit the yellow card foul, when to slot in in certain areas, what momentum to carry forward in the game etc

I think McClaren would be an excellent coach to learn under. Sure, he gets beaten every now and then (I thought Eustace gets beat more often) but we play such expansive football that most of the time he gets beat, he is one on one with their player so it shows up. Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City all play two defensive midfielders, (or defensive minded in the positions they are playing), but we attack more which will expose this position more often.

I think he is a great talent, with excellent passing abilities, great at reading play with the ball, has a good shot, and has strength. Experience through playing (not sat on West Broma bench) will make him a better player.

His reading of the game for such a young guy is very impressive, sure he gets caught a bit flat footed at times but that's part and parcel of learning the game. Has made very few mistakes, and his positive contributions have been v.good.

Archived