Michael Jacobs

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not really got an issue with Jacobs going, it was just a little joshing around from me.

One question though, without me looking it up, did he even get a minute on the pitch under Stevie Mac or has he bombed him out without giving him a chance at all?

He came on in 86th minute against Brum I recall.

got to admit, I thought I saw a bit of something in Jacobs. Certainly more exciting than I think Downing is.

But if Nigel Clough and now Steve McClaren won't pick him, there must be the underlying feeling that he's reached his potential and will only ever be as good as he is right now!

If the same applies to all squad players, good bye Ben Davies. Got to be a good bet for Sheff united, isn't his deal up this summer?

Wouldn't be surprised he ends up somewhere different than that. Think he would do a job for a high end league one team. Not Sheffield United.

I've not really got an issue with Jacobs going, it was just a little joshing around from me.

One question though, without me looking it up, did he even get a minute on the pitch under Stevie Mac or has he bombed him out without giving him a chance at all?

If you haven't got an issue does it matter?

Are you saying he was unfairly treated, or you agree with the decision to sell him?

I would guess that the staff had seen enough of him in training and at wolves to come to the conclusion we had better in the squad, I don't see it as bombing him out with out a chance at all, but thats just imo.

If you haven't got an issue does it matter?

Are you saying he was unfairly treated, or you agree with the decision to sell him?

I would guess that the staff had seen enough of him in training and at wolves to come to the conclusion we had better in the squad, I don't see it as bombing him out with out a chance at all, but thats just imo.

I personally thought Jacobs was good enough to have played some kind of role this season but I'm not gutted that we've sold him.

I am still a little bit worried at how much is going to get done in January.  I hope after Bamford that there aren't too many more incomings or outgoings. We're flying we don't need fixing and we don't need tinkering with.

TobyWanKenobi

Engage statto mode!

Jacobs leaves us having played in 47 games for Derby County, 16 of which were starts, scoring 3 goals.

League Starts: 13

League Sub Appearances: 28

League Goals: 2

FA Cup Starts: 1

FA Cup Sub Appearances: 1

FA Cup Goals: 0

League Cup Starts: 2

League Cup Sub Appearances: 2

League Cup Goals: 1

Cough cough splutter. So does that mean Mr McClaren was telling porkies GStar?

Amazing how some posts can come back to haunt me and make me look so silly!

However, having never being wrong ever before I can only come to one logical explanation....the owners have sold Jacobs behind Macs back and pocketed the cash

Dawkins fee recouped plus a bit by Jacobs money.

Good business.

Sorry to see Jacobs go for all that as I thought he had something, but I think clock is ticking a bit faster than it once was and there's no waiting 2 years for people to develope.

I know what you mean, I saw something in him that I liked but I'm not sure he'll quite reach the level Steve has us aiming for now.

I can see him going on to be a Kris Commons-esque player. If he perfects his striking of the ball, which is already pretty good, so that his crossing and shooting ability together with fairly quick feet makes up for what he lacks in pace.
Commons didn't really make a name for himself at Stoke but dropped down to a shittty little team where he slowly built a reputation as one of their best players before moving on to their bigger, better neighbours. 
This could be the same with Jacobs. Drop down to Wolves. Then maybe moving to West Brom on a free... Then deciding he's Scottish and signing for Rangers....

Anyway, that's enough mystic megging for one evening

Made 5 assists on his debut, spent a season in and out of the team and the next season was unable to break into the team, went out on loan to a lower league club, impressed they bought him for a couple of hundred grand, might push on the next level at a new club but could also easily regress. Never did anything outstanding but wasn't shockingly bad either, clear that he wasn't in SMc plans however much he rated him or not. Good move for all parties.

Made 5 assists on his debut, spent a season in and out of the team and the next season was unable to break into the team, went out on loan to a lower league club, impressed they bought him for a couple of hundred grand, might push on the next level at a new club but could also easily regress. Never did anything outstanding but wasn't shockingly bad either, clear that he wasn't in SMc plans however much he rated him or not. Good move for all parties.

That gets bandied around so much but as far as I remember it, he took the corners and we scored from 4 of them.

I know it's an assist nonetheless but it's not like the lad single handedly ran the defence ragged before laying it on a plate.

That gets bandied around so much but as far as I remember it, he took the corners and we scored from 4 of them.

I know it's an assist nonetheless but it's not like the lad single handedly ran the defence ragged before laying it on a plate.

His assists were 3 corners, 1 free kick, 1 flick from a coutts corner. When were our last 3 goals from corners scored? Genuine question, I remember Blackpool but who else?

Also the 5 assists on his debut were in the League Cup against Ssausagehorpe…a game we should have won emphatically but ended up drawing 5-5 then losing on penalties

At least one of the Ssausagehorpe equalisers was squarely down to Jacobs making a mistake. It seemed like every time Clough gave him a chance he ended up undoing all his good work by making mistakes, lacking concentration or an unwillingness to track back.

And that my friends is the bottom line – yes he could take a set piece and had some undoubted attacking skills, but he wasn't a complete footballer – he had a lot to learn about playing in the Championship. Under Clough we had a lot of these type of raw players and Clough seemed to have the luxury of giving them time to learn and improve.

The new regime is different, and they clearly thought – recoup some money while he's still valuable (Wolves wanted him so we had the upper negotiating hand) and replace him with someone who is a better developed player

The new regime is different, and they clearly thought – recoup some money while he's still valuable (Wolves wanted him so we had the upper negotiating hand) and replace him with someone who is a better developed player

That's a bit of a worrying attitude though. Wasn't one of the most attractive and positive things about the Clough regime that we were the kind of club where a kid could get a chance. We had the development squad specifically for developing young players, and players like Bennet and Hughes had a realistic chance of breaking into the first team. In fact, I'm sure that was stated as one of the reasons why Jacobs was happy to come to us.

If we're now moving away from that philosophy, to one where we don't have time to develop youngsters with potential for the lower divisions, and we'd rather buy a ready made Dawkins, I don't think I like that.

I hope we don't loose that side of what we are. What does it hurt to have a development squad full of kids on relatively little wages? What was so wrong with Jacobs that we couldn't give him the time to develop? Or did we think he'd come as far as he could, which wasn't far enough?

Archived