Michael Jacobs

DcFc Dyycheee

That's a bit of a worrying attitude though. Wasn't one of the most attractive and positive things about the Clough regime that we were the kind of club where a kid could get a chance. We had the development squad specifically for developing young players, and players like Bennet and Hughes had a realistic chance of breaking into the first team. In fact, I'm sure that was stated as one of the reasons why Jacobs was happy to come to us.

If we're now moving away from that philosophy, to one where we don't have time to develop youngsters with potential for the lower divisions, and we'd rather buy a ready made Dawkins, I don't think I like that.

I hope we don't loose that side of what we are. What does it hurt to have a development squad full of kids on relatively little wages? What was so wrong with Jacobs that we couldn't give him the time to develop? Or did we think he'd come as far as he could, which wasn't far enough?

Jacobs wasn't happy on the bench was he and he wasn't the best option for the 1st 11.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jacobs wasn't happy on the bench was he and he wasn't the best option for the 1st 11.

I think that sums it up. He wanted to play, and we couldn't let him. He was unhappy with this, so what's the point in keeping a player like this?

I don't think we will move away from giving youth a chance.

Bamford has said that one of the reasons he has come is is because it was McClaren that took him from the youth squad and gave him his first chance with the first team.

If they are good enough to step in and cover when needed or better than what's currently in the 1st team, I think McClaren will use them.

I think that sums it up. He wanted to play, and we couldn't let him. He was unhappy with this, so what's the point in keeping a player like this?

Indeed  - nobody wins - so best just to shake hands and move on.

(and take the money)

Yes, but he's been out on loan, so he's not been on the bench. If the decision was entirely the player's, why wouldn't he simply see out a season long loan, get some enjoyable game time and continue his development, then see if he gets any chances next season with us in the prem (hopefully), or another loan to a championship side. Like the top clubs do with their youngsters (like Chelsea is doing with Bamford)?

I mean, based on the comments on here, he's not that far away from making the grade to be in our first team, so why not stick with us?

Yes, but he's been out on loan, so he's not been on the bench. If the decision was entirely the player's, why wouldn't he simply see out a season long loan, get some enjoyable game time and continue his development, then see if he gets any chances next season with us in the prem (hopefully), or another loan to a championship side. Like the top clubs do with their youngsters (like Chelsea is doing with Bamford)?

I mean, based on the comments on here, he's not that far away from making the grade to be in our first team, so why not stick with us?

In my honest opinion he's hit and miss and needs to improve vastly so let's see how he does at Wolves and judge from that.

If he turns out to be a Tom Huddlestone success story then so be it .

I don't think we will move away from giving youth a chance.

Bamford has said that one of the reasons he has come is is because it was McClaren that took him from the youth squad and gave him his first chance with the first team.

If they are good enough to step in and cover when needed or better than what's currently in the 1st team, I think McClaren will use them.

Good, I don't believe anything else, to be honest. In Steve we trust. Just the original argument about the idea of essentially swapping Jacobs for a ready-made Dawkins concerned me a bit.

I'm probably over thinking it, it is a sensible move to make really. Just as long as we don't loose sight of the idea of youth and development (which I don't think we will).

Because he's nearing 23, not like 18/19. He wants to play every single game, and honestly, no one here thinks he could be a week in week out started next year.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have kept him, but if the lad wants to play every week and feels Wolves are sizable club that will be in this division before too long... you can't expect him to just play out on loan forever.

He was a gamble - a typical cheap option that just might have come off.

It didn't. Good luck, Michael - all the best for the future.

I would say Bennett has had more of a chance under Steve mc than he did under clough and is about 5 years younger so I don't think that means we won't play youngsters. Jacobs wasn't in the plans and needs first team games to develop we he has gone. He may turn out great he may not, we will see.

I think in a few years he'll become a good championship player, someone similar to Chris Burke who is in that bracket of being a good championship player, but not quite good enough for the premiership. A shame really, would of liked to have seen him succeed here, but it's quite evident, McClaren's objective is to get this team as high as possible in the shortest time possible.

In my honest opinion he's hit and miss and needs to improve vastly so let's see how he does at Wolves and judge from that.

If he turns out to be a Tom Huddlestone success story then so be it .

Even if does turn out well, there's no guarantee he would have done if here. If he plays 35+ games a season for wolves for a few years, then he's got the ability to be a good championship player. But there's no way he'd make it playing 10 minutes a week here.

Archived