Match Thread - Oxford United (A) - Tuesday 22nd October 2024

Crewton

9 hours ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Stop being so sensible and reasonable CR! We should win every game, walk the league and play flowing football reminiscent of Rotterdam…Some classic comments on here tonight😄😄

This could be Rotherham, or anywhere. Hartlepool, or Frome.

Edited by Gabby'sThighs

9 hours ago, OoooMarkWright said:

Decent point which I’d have taken at the start of the game.

Thought subs were a bit odd today. We had momentum after the goal and then replaced both CBT and Kenzo. I’d have waited another 5 at least. Thought Harness was quite poor on the ball again. CBT did well and looked a threat. I think Warne is protecting him and feels he can’t play more than 60 due to his hammy’s. 
Scrappy, lacking in quality, but I’ll take it 

CBT also got booked for petulance and was being fouled all over the pitch without anything from the Ref. His frustration was building. Good substitution in my eyes, despite his threat.

I watched the game from the posh executive boxes opposite our fans.

People I was with were impressed with the Derby fans singing and noise, sounded good from across the pitch.

They were less impressed with the players in the first half, but general opinion was a draw was probably fair in the end, but Derby could/should have nicked it.

We got in some great positions 2nd half, but don't think the final balls were quite good enough to create great chances.

2 decent away points after a run of 4 defeats. Good enough for promotion if we keep winning at home!

8 hours ago, Artram said:

Clearly set up in the first half to try and use Adam’s to nick it in an advanced area and score. Sadly his technique let him down when he did get into good positions.

Oxford looked like they took the foot off the pedal after the goal and were there for the taking if we had a bit more quality.

Have been impressed with CBT. Yes he loses the ball and was a bit petulant today but he is at least trying to make things happen. Their right back would have known he had a game tonight, not sure some of their midfielders would have thought the same

Onwards and upwards

His petulance was because the ref gave him absolutely nothing, even when he was mauled to the ground in the penalty area. His petulance came after being fouled by their left back, who fouled everyone bar his own team mates, got nothing, not even a throw-in after their man kicked the ball out. Yes I know he should show self-control, but there cones a point where someone’s incompetence or bias becomes too much. Its a shame players can’t go waving a yelliw card at the officials when they keep breaking the rules.

9 hours ago, Donkey Derby said:

Hardly comparable though as Scarlet has already made 19 appearances in championship and 34 in league one.

Dajaune has played half a season in the National League.

When Collins came on Oxford were on top, with us fighting for a point. Hardly time to give Dajaune a run out. 

That’s my point - Scarlett is being given a chance, Brown isn’t.

Edited by DavesaRam

Just frustrating really. We were so bad first half, but the ridiculous thing about it was Oxford were so ready to concede possession and weren't up to much either. If we could have just lifted it to something half decent we could have won the game.

12 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

That’s my point - Scarlett is being given a chance, Brown isn’t.

Scarlett looks far better than Brown infact scores in each of his games this year whereas Brown offers no goal threat ( yet ) 

Overall a draw probably fair. We were very poor first half and no doubt they got a rocket. Don't think the issue was tactics, just poor application from the players.

Second half much better, looked threatening and could easily have finished 2-1. 

On balance we've seen some real excellence, some absolute dross and a whole lot of mediocrity so far. Would any of us been disappointed with mid-table at the start of the season? 

It's all about consolidating and then kicking on next.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

CBT wasn’t great but he did set up gilt-edged chances for both Osborn and Kenzo which they fluffed. He beat his man both on the inside and outside and whilst in general play, he offers very little, when he is given the ball early and to his feet, he’s a potent force.

I thought he looked a little better last night.

I think his issue is pace, in the sense that he has been relying on his pace to get him past fullbacks and therefore allow him more time with the ball to make the right decision.

He's not getting that time at all in this division. The defenders are stronger and, more importantly, quicker.

He has to improve his decision-making in crucial moments. He has to make the most of the amount of time he's going to have with the ball. NML, Jackson and Harness do a great job of this. Yates, too. 

Saying that, the cutback to Osborn showed (for me at least) that there's a player in there somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I thought he looked a little better last night.

I think his issue is pace, in the sense that he has been relying on his pace to get him past fullbacks and therefore allow him more time with the ball to make the right decision.

He's not getting that time at all in this division. The defenders are stronger and, more importantly, quicker.

He has to improve his decision-making in crucial moments. He has to make the most of the amount of time he's going to have with the ball. NML, Jackson and Harness do a great job of this. Yates, too. 

Saying that, the cutback to Osborn showed (for me at least) that there's a player in there somewhere.

I think his feet move faster than his brain, if that makes sense? If he can fix that he'll be fine.

9 hours ago, Artram said:

Have been impressed with CBT. Yes he loses the ball and was a bit petulant today but he is at least trying to make things happen. Their right back would have known he had a game tonight, not sure some of their midfielders would have thought the same

Onwards and upwards

"losing the ball and a bit petulant" aint a good attribute to being a pro footballer, CBT has been here 9 months a fair amount on the treatment table, Back and now in the starting 11 so PW must be seeing something in training that I'm not on the TV.

After school report...CBT must do better 😉

27 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Scarlett looks far better than Brown infact scores in each of his games this year whereas Brown offers no goal threat ( yet ) 

Scarlett is 18 months older than Daj, has played nearly 60 first team games in 4 years, including 6 for his parent club Spurs and has a "magnificent" scoring rate of 1 goal every 10 appearances. All this from a player who scored 12 goals in 14 games for England U19s in one season.

He hasn't played for Spurs since 2020.

7 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

"losing the ball and a bit petulant" aint a good attribute to being a pro footballer, CBT has been here 9 months a fair amount on the treatment table, Back and now in the starting 11 so PW must be seeing something in training that I'm not on the TV.

After school report...CBT must do better 😉

Then again, two mates of mine who watched on TV couldn't believe Warne substituted him, because he was our main threat. So I'm definitely getting mixed messages about him.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

CBT wasn’t great but he did set up gilt-edged chances for both Osborn and Kenzo which they fluffed. He beat his man both on the inside and outside and whilst in general play, he offers very little, when he is given the ball early and to his feet, he’s a potent force.

I’m not so sure, is a player in there but just looks off it. His body language always looks downbeat. He can be weak as well. Seems to hide a bit as well, almost marks his full back. Cashin went mad at him at one point first half.

like you say when has the ball at feet and space to run into he carries it well and quickly.

offers very little off the ball as well

28 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think his feet move faster than his brain, if that makes sense? If he can fix that he'll be fine.

Definitely. He shows glimpses of looking like a really dangerous player. Not sure he’ll be given the time in the side that he probably needs to get there. Especially when you look at the difference in us when Jackson and Harness came on.

Love Marcus Harness by the way. I’d start him in that 10 every week. 

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Then again, two mates of mine who watched on TV couldn't believe Warne substituted him, because he was our main threat. So I'm definitely getting mixed messages about him.

There's a decent player in there Crewton but CBT for me is one of those when I watch him I get annoyed, He's can be a selfish player he can also bring others into the game.

I think the substitution was down to his booking, He could have been singled out for "special treatment" by their spy in the camp Sibley...who knows, We score 5 mins after he's booked so i'd thought that might calm him down, Then a couple of mins later Jackson replaces him...over to you PW 😉

56 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Scarlett has only scored 2 goals this season (his last 2 games). 0 assists. 8 games played
He played in 19 games last season and failed to score or assist.
He scored 6 and assisted 2 when playing in L1 the season before

So far, Brown has only been given 4 games this season (112 mins) and has 1 assist.
He was given only 77 minutes last season.
Perhaps if he was given more game time, he'd have the chance to adapt to the level of football. It took him a few games to get up and running at Gateshead.

The argument is redundant when Warne's 2nd choice CF is Collins, who has so far provided 0 goals and 0 assists in his 9 outings (249 mins)... minutes better spent developing a forward who will only improve.

19 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I watched it on TV and could understand why he was substituted. For a big fella he goes down way too easily and doesn’t have any determination to win the ball back. Still not sure he’s got it in him to hack it in the championship 🤷‍♂️