Thomas Tuchel - New England Manager

Day

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

A bigger problem/question for me is why aren't we producing more of our own.

I think it took English football a bit too long to get over the "dinosaur" approach. Now that the likes of Pep have arrived and firmly cemented their styles in English football, it will only be a matter of time before some top English managers come through. 

My thoughts. 

Prefer English, however won’t turn my nose up at someone for not being English.

Which is highly hypocritical as I’m pretty hardline on these players turning out for countries as their hairdresser is a citizen of that country.

Not sure there is any real justification for my opinion.

As for Tuchel, jury is out. I don’t like the 18 month experimental contract. Feels a bit non committal from both.

I don’t want to see us changing managers every tournament, they have limited time with the players as it is, how do you get the players buying into your ideas on such a short contract.

Also, why is he not coming straight in, why is Carsley getting another 2 games? Makes no sense. The next 2 would be an idea way to introduce yourself to the team before the World Cup qualifiers.

25 minutes ago, Day said:

Also, why is he not coming straight in, why is Carsley getting another 2 games? Makes no sense. The next 2 would be an idea way to introduce yourself to the team before the World Cup qualifiers.

Next games are in 4 weeks, so think the FA want to give Tuchel time to fully scout his first squad.

His first games could be Nation's League play offs, if we finish 2nd in the group.

26 minutes ago, Day said:

I don’t like the 18 month experimental contract. Feels a bit non committal from both.

It was always my thought to build through the Euros to peak at the World Cup, so don't mind this deal too much.

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I can just about stomach appointing a German, but a Frenchman? Get out of here.

We have standards, they are low but come on coaching England? Get out of here.

Arsene turned it down btw. Rumour has it, he wanted to coach a top nation and was waiting for a call for  the Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland job

3 hours ago, nottingram said:

At club football, certainly. Not debatable in the slightest. But I honestly don’t know what the recipe for international football is. Deschamps, Loew, Fuentes, Scaloni - None have achieved success in club football.

Say we’d won the latest Euros. Would you expect Real Madrid to hire Gareth Southgate? If not why not?

My instinct is that managing relationships is incredibly important, I think Tuchel has left his last 3 roles having eroded relationships. That might not be all his fault but it’s probably not not all his fault. 

Interestingly, all 3 departures have centred around a disagreement over transfers. A job in international football has seemingly become available at a good time, when he may be questioning whether club football management is for him or not.

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Next games are in 4 weeks, so think the FA want to give Tuchel time to fully scout his first squad.

His first games could be Nation's League play offs, if we finish 2nd in the group.

4 weeks is plenty for a manager that has managed in the Premier League, it’s not like we’ve got someone unaware of the regular squad from Thailand. 4 weeks of domestic and European games to familiarise himself with those on the fringes is plenty. 

Nations League is pretty meh, the knockout stages won’t see the St George’s flags on cars and pubs filled. Feels like almost passing of the blame for this non tournament that nobody really cares about.

On 15/10/2024 at 20:24, Andicis said:

Bayern are nicknamed FC Hollywood for a good reason, they're pretty toxic behind the scenes. Wouldn't write him off based on that given how good his career has been. 

Bayern has been toxic, way different to what they used to be. Especially Ulli Hoeneß - who isn’t actively on board anymore - keeps on talking utter crap about everyone and everything and doesn‘t help the club itself. Even die hard Bayern supporters can‘t stand him anymore. 

Regarding Tuchel - I‘m pretty sure he‘s the ideal choice for England. He will be fine with man management and things, I consider England heavy favourite for WC 26 having a proper manager now combined with these high quality players… didn‘t rate Southgate. 

Edited by GermanRam

I can't say I'm overly thrilled about Tuchel, honestly, but I do feel like his methods will translate well into national management. He's a manager who has shown enough to climb the ladder and feel that his coaching style is more adaptable, simplified than other coaches in club management. I do fear that too much is made of the 'record' of the national manager and their ability to win things. 

There only comparative between international football and club football is the sport. The day-to-day structure and skillset required to be successful couldn't be any different. In that sense, I probably would've gone for an English manager but also recognise that the scrutiny means that a 'name' makes for an easy hire. In all honesty there is no outstanding candidate - and no guarantee that any manager transitioning from club to international management has the same success.  

On 16/10/2024 at 20:18, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think it took English football a bit too long to get over the "dinosaur" approach. Now that the likes of Pep have arrived and firmly cemented their styles in English football, it will only be a matter of time before some top English managers come through. 

Maybe so. I think one of the problems might also be there's lots of 'top' foreign leagues for managers to develop and succeed in but only really the Prem for English managers, or so it seems. Which English managers have been successful abroad, not something I know much about in one way? Oh hang on...Schteve?! 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe so. I think one of the problems might also be there's lots of 'top' foreign leagues for managers to develop and succeed in but only really the Prem for English managers, or so it seems. Which English managers have been successful abroad, not something I know much about in one way? Oh hang on...Schteve?! 😄

Graham Potter took Ostersunds all the way from the Swedish 4th division to the top division in 4 years, and won the Swedish Cup in 2017. They've been in a downward trajectory since and are in danger of dropping back down to division 3.

Will Still took over as caretaker manager of Lierse and gained 21 points out of 27 before he was forced to step down due to not having the correct level of badges.
In 20/21, he took over as Beerschot manager, guiding them to 9. The owners decided they wanted a more experienced manager for the following season, which resulted in them being relegated in 18th spot.
He joined Reims from 2022-2024 who were 12 the season before. They finished 11th in his 1st season, then 9th in his first full season.
Lens poached him in the summer after finishing 7th. They're currently 6th (3 points off 3rd) but haven't lost any of their 7 games so far.

7 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Another issue I've seen cropping up regarding the lack of top English managers.

English coaches working at the lower levels of the game are having their A-Licence applications rejected, often several times over, because ex-pros are prioritised. 

No English manager has ever won the PL. Fact, as Rafa would say.

The last English manager to win the old first division was Howard Wilkinson with dirty Leeds in 92. That might be the answer to the lack of top English managers.

Spaniards, Italians, Portuguese, German, Chilean, a Scot have all won it, even a Frenchman has done it (3 times) 😀

7 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Another issue I've seen cropping up regarding the lack of top English managers.

English coaches working at the lower levels of the game are having their A-Licence applications rejected, often several times over, because ex-pros are prioritised. 

Aren't they all ex pros?