Jacob Widell Zetterström

DarkFruitsRam7

He looks good so far, it has to be said, without getting too carried away with ourselves. It was a big gamble by the recruitment team to make a GK, who was an unknown quantity in England, our most expensive transfer of the window - but the sort of gamble we needed to make imo in our position. And it looks to be paying off so far, so hats of to those involved for showing some creativity in the Market.

Jacob was my MOM yesterday. Didn’t necessarily have loads of shots to save, but dealt with everything he had to without any issues, and he was a really calming presence towards the end of the match when we sat back. Claimed everything he could do with minimal fuss, slowed the game down, and just seem to exude confidence which spread through the rest of the defence. With Zetterstrom orchestrating them, they never looked likely to concede.

From the limited time we’ve seen him so far, he looks to have good reflexes, and is a really good shot stopper - which let’s be fair, is what Warne wants from a goalkeeper more than anything. Also seems pretty good at maintaining his concentration through games, he’s made some excellent saves out of the blue following periods where he’s had little involvement in the game. Only thing I’d note so far which is a slight concern is that I’m not sure he commands his box aerially quite as well as Wildsmith did, but hopefully the GK coach can work on that. Keep it up Jacob!

4 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Only problem with the signing is it’s a three year contract, after next summer he’ll be in the last year of his contract which knocks his value massively. Hopefully there’s an option of an extra year. 

So it looks like we have a decent keeper for three years. Don't see that as any sort of problem. 

From what we have seen so far, he looks a good upgrade on Wildsmith to me. Apart from his little dribble against Watford in his 1st game and dropping a cross he was stretching for against Bristol, he has been exemplary. He has kicked one or two out of play too but don’t see that as a problem, he has an enormous kick on him.

The thing I like is his calmness and decision making, which must give those in front of him confidence. We have not seen the rush of blood incidents to which Wildsmith was prone. He has make some excellent saves so far and looks to have very good reflexes. Also looks a massive team player and part of the group.

Hope I haven’t jinxed him, as he looks a major signing and worth the wait!

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He won’t be in the final year of his contract until after the summer of 2026.

Yes but I’m talking about valuations and his potential to leave and recoup us a good fee. 

So in 2025 if he stays that’s great. 
Then I find it hard to believe we’d let him go in the January which then leaves us in summer 2026 with Zetterström in his last year of contract. I understand he won’t actually be in his last year until after the summer window of 2026 but if we want a good fee for him we’d have to sell him in 2025 as in 2026 clubs will debate waiting until 2027 when he’d be a free.

10 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Yes but I’m talking about valuations and his potential to leave and recoup us a good fee. 

Then I find it hard to believe we’d let him go in the January which then leaves us in summer 2026 with Zetterström in his last year of contract. I understand he won’t actually be in his last year until after the summer window of 2026 but if we want a good fee for him we’d have to sell him in 2025 as in 2026 clubs will debate waiting until 2027 when he’d be a free.

This is giving me 'he's 28 until he turns 29' vibes loool.

image.png.0427936d1ae6ec91a29258c7ba2f7537.png

Edited by Sidd10

26 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

But that is the case with any contract offered. By that logic, every 3 year contract becomes effectively a one year contract (before you consider selling). It also depends on 1) whether we have signed him as an investment or to strengthen the squad for the next three years, 2) who we could get to replace him and 3) how much we would be offered for him. Unless we’re offered silly money next summer then we’d be mad to sell him (provided of course his early promise continues). 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Prior to his signing, admittedly a long process, quite a few on here were insisting we should ’move on’.

I wonder what they’re thinking now?

That whole notion was nonsense. I'm positive things like this happen constantly, only change here was his team made it so public.

52 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But that is the case with any contract offered. By that logic, every 3 year contract becomes effectively a one year contract (before you consider selling). It also depends on 1) whether we have signed him as an investment or to strengthen the squad for the next three years, 2) who we could get to replace him and 3) how much we would be offered for him. Unless we’re offered silly money next summer then we’d be mad to sell him (provided of course his early promise continues). 

It’s not the case for every signing as this is our biggest signing since 2020. We don’t have the financial backing to sign a player for a reported 1.4 million fee to then recoup none of that down the line to a better club. We need to improve on the fees we get in as we use to let players go for free and well below their value nearly every window under Mel Morris, and that didn’t exactly turn out the best. 

On 15/09/2024 at 08:06, IlsonDerby said:

Him and Kenzo bring us in £10m in transfer fees next summer or the summer after. Going to enjoy them both whilst they’re here. Credit to the recruitment process! 

Depressing to realise we’ll probably lose them but this is what it’s all about in our efforts not to end up in financial crisis again. Down to the club to identify the next Kenzo, the next JWZ, + others to recycle the eventual sales into raising the whole team by a level. 

On 15/09/2024 at 09:10, Gerry Daly said:

Give over with the boring, predictable and probably wrong 'we can't possibly keep them' rubbish. I can't be arsed to look but bet you thought there was no chance Cashin would still be here. There is no need to be depressed to realise anything. Wait and see

19 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'm actually really enthused by it rather than depressed. To get to the top end of this division we need better quality throughout the squad & the quickest way of doing that is buying cheap & selling expensive to increase our overall budget. If both leave next summer for £10m combined (I'd hope for a lot more personally) that elevates this club to fishing in player markets that could see an outside playoff push next season - pretty exciting I reckon. The cycle then continues again buying talented young lads with good resale potential & good character.

Still very early days but both Zetterstrom & Goudmijn look very good value for money with the potential to improve further. Good work by the scouting/backroom team & credit to Warne given both look so settled in the starting XI so quickly. Very important with young foreign players that they are made to feel at home very quickly & a strong, inclusive culture is key to that - something you imagine Warne is very hot on.

Unfortunately this is the financial reality we now have.  Unless we're consistently punching around the top 6 we're likely to lose our better players to teams higher up the food chain.  Like Ilson said, we just have to enjoy them while we're able to.  As long as we're not flogging them to the scum up the road or The Dirties, or for peanuts I won't be too upset about it.

Going back to the original point of the thread, JWZ looks like a very shrewd signing already.  Although I found it funny that him & (his very attractive) Mrs left the stadium a Kia estate the other day.  I guess he doesn't need to compensate for anything eh...

Edited by ramsbottom

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He looks good so far, it has to be said, without getting too carried away with ourselves. It was a big gamble by the recruitment team to make a GK, who was an unknown quantity in England, our most expensive transfer of the window - but the sort of gamble we needed to make imo in our position. And it looks to be paying off so far, so hats of to those involved for showing some creativity in the Market.

Jacob was my MOM yesterday. Didn’t necessarily have loads of shots to save, but dealt with everything he had to without any issues, and he was a really calming presence towards the end of the match when we sat back. Claimed everything he could do with minimal fuss, slowed the game down, and just seem to exude confidence which spread through the rest of the defence. With Zetterstrom orchestrating them, they never looked likely to concede.

From the limited time we’ve seen him so far, he looks to have good reflexes, and is a really good shot stopper - which let’s be fair, is what Warne wants from a goalkeeper more than anything. Also seems pretty good at maintaining his concentration through games, he’s made some excellent saves out of the blue following periods where he’s had little involvement in the game. Only thing I’d note so far which is a slight concern is that I’m not sure he commands his box aerially quite as well as Wildsmith did, but hopefully the GK coach can work on that. Keep it up Jacob!

I agree with everything you stated Millenniumram except for the end sentence about Wildsmith commanding his box aerially better, i will have to agree to disagree on this point as  for me Zetters fills me with much more confidence than Wildsmith ever did, and that against better opposition. My only concern against him is the kicking, which i am sure will be improved with time. My MOM too. 

6 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I agree with everything you stated Millenniumram except for the end sentence about Wildsmith commanding his box aerially better, i will have to agree to disagree on this point as  for me Zetters fills me with much more confidence than Wildsmith ever did, and that against better opposition. My only concern against him is the kicking, which i am sure will be improved with time. My MOM too. 

I think even with his kicking it's not exactly tragic. It's not a strength, but don't think it's particularly a big problem either.

35 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Fair enough, in my view Wildsmith was probably the best goalkeeper Derby have had in my time watching at claiming crosses. He never seemed to flap at anything, and you could always rely on him to relieve the pressure on the defence when we were faced with an aerial bombardment. My main concern with him was his sometimes erratic decision making - rushing out when he shouldn’t do, which resulted in multiple goals / pens which you could directly attribute to him.

That said, like you say the Championship is a totally different league to League One. I suspect we will be under less aerial pressure, so Zetterström is probably better suited to this level.

33 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think even with his kicking it's not exactly tragic. It's not a strength, but don't think it's particularly a big problem either.

Even when he gets it wrong, it's still well clear of the danger area (so far).