Cardiff (H) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Collins and Luthra joined Cardiff the summer Bamba left, Adams the year after, whilst Phillips was there 2.5 years after.

Nelson and Mendez-Laing both played with him though - Nelson for 2 years and Mendez-Laing for 3.

I mentioned history with Cardiff...

3 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

No it isn't. It's exactly the same as a wide midfielder in a 4_4_2

It’s not the same as they have a full back behind them to defend the wide areas. In a 3-4-3 system there is no fullback so they’ll naturally (aswell as being told to) drop deeper and defend more. 

In a 3-4-3 the wing backs or “wide midfielders” will mark the oppositions wingers with the two wide men in the front three tracking the oppositions fullbacks. In a 4-4-2 the fullbacks will mark the oppositions wingers with the “wide midfielders” looking after the opposing fullbacks. They are totally different roles and positions. 

4 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

In a 3-4-3 system the two “wide midfielders” if that’s what you want to call them are wing backs. They would have a lot more defensive contribution than the normal winger. 

Whatever system and names positions are given I reckon Kenzo is our free ranging creator at the top end of the pitch. He was the catalyst to so much that was good against Bristol. Seems to know by instinct when it’s right to carry the ball or alternatively shift it quickly. It’s a while since we’ve had a player that has his level of close control AND intelligence with it. 

I’m a bit apprehensive about a struggling Cardiff side (any struggling champ side tbf) coming to play us and being underdogs after we’ve been underdogs in the first four, found our mojo on the break and been good value in all but one half of those games. 

will we be dominant in possession or will we let them play and hit them hard on the break?

it’s a really interesting one 

I can’t wait my nerves have started already 🐏🎶👏

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Aaron Ramsey has done his hamstring so won’t feature against us. Not sure if that’s a positive or a negative to be honest as the young lad Colwill who’ll replace him is pretty good.

Old stagers make me nervous. They are either pants and you think what’s the hype or they roll back the years and play a blinder. Then you image the replacement / next generation wanting the mantle playing a blitz performance .. oh heck in the nerve stakes it’s one of those stick twist moments.

Optimist me .. says .. this is the perfect game to roll on to after Bristol .. average team, us on a high and beginning to gel, big crowd, loads of confidence = Goal fest 

Negative me .. says .. They are a ok side, just a bad start, steel injected, manager tweaks, old guard Ramsey out, fire for Bamba in belly, point to prove. Us, over confident miss early sitter and it turns grim and grey 

A good test for us to see if we can back up our performances and handle rising expectations.

It’ll be interesting to see how we deal with Cardiff actually. They will be looking to bounce back and prove a point, so hopefully we have done our homework and we are guarded against complacency.

They remind me of Blackburn in many ways. Kanga can give us problems in the same way Gueye did. El Ghazi, Meite and Willock on their day can be a real headache with their pace, movement and trickery in the same way that Dolan, Szmodics and Weimann were. El Ghazi especially worries me because if he is fit and firing, he is a very clever footballer.

However here’s hoping we show how much we are improving and learning, and there’s no repeat of the Blackburn game.

Hopefully Adams, Ozoh and Kenzo rise to the occasion as I suspect that is where the game will be won and lost. If those three are on their game, I can see another home win on the horizon!

1 hour ago, jono said:

Optimist me .. says .. this is the perfect game to roll on to after Bristol .. average team, us on a high and beginning to gel, big crowd, loads of confidence = Goal fest 

Negative me .. says .. They are a ok side, just a bad start, steel injected, manager tweaks, old guard Ramsey out, fire for Bamba in belly, point to prove. Us, over confident miss early sitter and it turns grim and grey 

Listen to the first fella and ignore the whiny one would be my advice. There'll be plenty enough 'grim and grey' to go around if we lose anyway 😉

26 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m hoping we come out with the arrogance of a confident home team, supported by a large and imposing home crowd.

Too often we have started passively, allowing the opposition to grow into the game. Let’s start on the front foot and make Cardiff wonder what on earth they’ve walked into.

Stop it Winston, I’m getting all confident. Never in the field of ovine conflict was one sheep shagger [insert chosen uplifting phrase] 🤪

I think it'll be a tough game. Hopefully we can be strong first 20 minutes or so and win the physical battles then go on to grab a hard earned 2-1 win.

We need at least 7 or 8 players at 8/10 performance levels to compete with these established championship teams.

It'll be a big crowd, loud away fans and good atmosphere, all to play for. COYR 

🎵we shag more sheep than you🎵

14 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

So with Chirewa out and Kane Wilson only back to training today I’d imagine the squad will be 

JWZ 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Elder

Ebou Ozoh

Jackson Kenzo NML

Yates 

Bench: Vickers, Forsyth, Phillips, Ward, Osborn, Thompson, Harness, Collins, Brown

I suspect this is about right, maybe CBT or Barkhuizen on bench instead of Brown would be my guess

I just hope fans don't come into this game suddenly expectant after a good performance last time out. We still need that siege mentality, the atmosphere we've been creating at home just the same. We can't stand there, arms folded, waiting to be impressed or the level will slip. They're beatable, but they have had hard games to start - playing early pacesetters Sunderland, Burnley who are strong and even having a South Wales Derby v Swansea. So, they may not be down there forever. We can't suddenly think we've got this Championship malarkey cracked. Need to be on it.

Edited by Srg

Does anyone know what the stats look like for us coming out of an international break under Warne? 

My addled memory has us struggling and failing to capitalise from the break and extra time on the training ground but could be wrong. 

Let's hope the lads are up for it and kick on from the Brizzle performance.