Marcus Harness - signed on a season long loan

DCFC1388

Another good loan signing, will give us more quality, in the 3 at the top, will also push NML, Jackson and CBT for a starting place, has good hold up play, can score goals from out wide, works hard, can take a man on, and also has a bit of pace about him, and at 28 years old he is reaching his peak years as well. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

Didn’t see a lot of him at Ipswich, but I remember being impressed when I saw him play for Portsmouth. I think at the time he had scored six games in a row or something. Pretty sure he played a bit of a free role behind the striker in the game I watched. Looked more of a goal threat than what we have.

I have a feeling we will be seeing him on the left and NML on the right, with Jackson and Yates competing for the striker role.

I do however feel we now have three centre backs who are not here to sit on the bench, so where does that leave the formation? We now have a surplus of centre mids and wingers at the club.

Could we see Harness at left wing back? I am sure I saw somewhere that he has played there before.

I would imagine if fit Ozoh and Osborn start, with one of Adams and Goudmijn joining them in the middle.

I just struggle to see us not playing a back 3/5 with the defensive players we now have, and I can’t see us not playing a midfield three, so that leaves two places left. Assume one is Yates, as he is the only championship level striker we have, that leaves one spot for Harness, NML, Jackson, CBT who are all wingers, to play as the second striker.

I guess Warne knows what the plan is, but I struggle to see how the jigsaw fits together.

I am also surprised to see Barkhuizen, Washington still here, but I guess we now have more options and systems we can play than we did 24 hours ago.

21 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

Didn’t see a lot of him at Ipswich, but I remember being impressed when I saw him play for Portsmouth. I think at the time he had scored six games in a row or something. Pretty sure he played a bit of a free role behind the striker in the game I watched. Looked more of a goal threat than what we have.

I have a feeling we will be seeing him on the left and NML on the right, with Jackson and Yates competing for the striker role.

I do however feel we now have three centre backs who are not here to sit on the bench, so where does that leave the formation? We now have a surplus of centre mids and wingers at the club.

Could we see Harness at left wing back? I am sure I saw somewhere that he has played there before.

I would imagine if fit Ozoh and Osborn start, with one of Adams and Goudmijn joining them in the middle.

I just struggle to see us not playing a back 3/5 with the defensive players we now have, and I can’t see us not playing a midfield three, so that leaves two places left. Assume one is Yates, as he is the only championship level striker we have, that leaves one spot for Harness, NML, Jackson, CBT who are all wingers, to play as the second striker.

I guess Warne knows what the plan is, but I struggle to see how the jigsaw fits together.

I am also surprised to see Barkhuizen, Washington still here, but I guess we now have more options and systems we can play than we did 24 hours ago.

Yeah I've been having similar thoughts. Feels like we need to make a bold choice either at the back, in the midfield or with the wingers.

Knowing Warne and giving that Phillips will almost certainly be here to start, I think it'll be a back 3. Then with signing another winger on deadline day and NML being the captain I think it's likely he's wanting to go 343. Warne will probably want at least one of Adams or Ozoh starting which either means Kenzo drops or Osborn is moved to LWB or dropped. 

30 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Yeah I've been having similar thoughts. Feels like we need to make a bold choice either at the back, in the midfield or with the wingers.

Knowing Warne and giving that Phillips will almost certainly be here to start, I think it'll be a back 3. Then with signing another winger on deadline day and NML being the captain I think it's likely he's wanting to go 343. Warne will probably want at least one of Adams or Ozoh starting which either means Kenzo drops or Osborn is moved to LWB or dropped. 

I hadn’t thought about Osborn at LWB to be honest, but yeah of course he can play there and is probably the best option when we play wing backs.

That would give us…….

Zetterström

Nelson Phillips Cashin

Wilson   Ozoh  Goudmijn  Osborn

Jackson   Yates   Harness

Could also switch that around so you have Yates and Jackson as a front two, with the other in behind as a 10.

Adams, NML, Nyambe, Elder compete for a starting spot, and then the rest of the bench is probably Vickers, Bradley, Thompson, Collins, and then you have one spot for Forsyth, Ward, Brown, Washington, Barkhuizen, CBT?

That is a squad of 24 when fit. Bench looking better, but not many impact subs amongst them.

edit: also the lad from Wolves

Edited by RamInSweden

Just now, Rammysees said:

Just read an Ipswich article about this move. It also said the striker Freddie Ladapo was released yesterday by mutual consent - he played for Rotherham 2019-2022, 104  apps, 34  goals. 👀

Also played for Charlton in league 1 last season. 14 games 1 goal.

Also left Rotherham after refusing to play when Warne was manager. Highly doubt we see him here.

Edited by RamInSweden

50 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

I hadn’t thought about Osborn at LWB to be honest, but yeah of course he can play there and is probably the best option when we play wing backs.

That would give us…….

Zetterström

Nelson Phillips Cashin

Could also switch that around so you have Yates and Jackson as a front two, with the other in behind as a 10.

Adams, NML, Nyambe, Elder compete for a starting spot, and then the rest of the bench is probably Vickers, Bradley, Thompson, Collins, and then you have one spot for Forsyth, Ward, Brown, Washington, Barkhuizen, CBT?

That is a squad of 24 when fit. Bench looking better, but not many impact subs amongst them.

I like the vibe. It does put our best footballers in the team. I’m a big Wilson fan but he has been a bit underwhelming so far. Hope he turns that around. Ward’s crossing and set piece delivery puts him ahead slightly ATM.

I’m hoping we’ll see Goudmijn at his best with better players around him that might just be able to control the ball and give it back.

Harsh on Nyambe who might just be our best all round defender but in Phillips and Cashin, we might play the ball out from defence more positively.

1 hour ago, Rammysees said:

Just read an Ipswich article about this move. It also said the striker Freddie Ladapo was released yesterday by mutual consent - he played for Rotherham 2019-2022, 104  apps, 34  goals. 👀

Trying to burn this forum to the ground suggesting we sign someone that has played for Rotherham??

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I like the vibe. It does put our best footballers in the team. I’m a big Wilson fan but he has been a bit underwhelming so far. Hope he turns that around. Ward’s crossing and set piece delivery puts him ahead slightly ATM.

I’m hoping we’ll see Goudmijn at his best with better players around him that might just be able to control the ball and give it back.

Harsh on Nyambe who might just be our best all round defender but in Phillips and Cashin, we might play the ball out from defence more positively.

I also prefer Ward. Wilsons main threat last season was he could run past players, same with NML. They won’t get to do that so easily this season. If we play wingers and wing backs, then maybe Nyambe gets the nod.

Although, Warne does seem to have a hard on for Wilson.

Edited by RamInSweden

2 hours ago, Day said:

Trying to burn this forum to the ground suggesting we sign someone that has played for Rotherham??

I'm not suggesting anything, just making an observation about a coincidence. There's a thread elsewhere a about strikers who are available free  you will find his name now appears on it, with many opposing comments. Can't imagine us signing two good players from Ipswich without Freddie being mentioned though.

3 hours ago, RamInSweden said:

That would give us…….

Zetterström

Nelson Phillips Cashin

It could also be 3412 - Yates, Collins, Brown, Jackson and Mendez-Laing the CF options, with Harness, Chirewa or Barkhuizen playing at AM.