Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

16 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

@RoyMac5 Ibiza looks decent mate 

😎 Pah!The weather forecast is as poor as .... fill in the blanks and mention football if you want to! 😀

PS I said we'd win against Bristol City. I don't normally forecast as I am superstitious, but I wanted to make a point.

#COYR

7 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

I don't think there's any "possible" about it. They WERE rubbish. That doesn't take away from our performance however, even the w*nkest of teams still need to be dispatched, and Brizzle WERE dispatched. Ruthlessly. And let's be fair, it could easily have been 5 or 6.

They're the w*nkest team we've played in the league so far this season. By some distance.

I wouldn't say they were rubbish, because they threw a lot of us to start the game and had a very clear threat and if not for some very good goalkeeping and blocks by the defence could have blown us away before we'd even got out of the blocks. Some better finishing would have helped them of course but their shots still hit the target.

What was rubbish was their response to be outmuscled by Ozoh and Adams and their ability to think on their feet once our pressing started to crush them. Mentally they lost it, physically they couldn't stand up to it. The way he way their attackers refused to shoot on sight and instead waited until the perfect opportunity to shoot too was an issue (general buildup play was good to a point). They probably need more time on their attacking cohesion and I can see them improving over the season.

Their cause wasn't helped by Bird (who at one point took an age to turn around and play a pass I've seen him one-touch before) and Knight seemingly being overawed by their PPS return, but make no mistakes it was our own play from front to back which was the main factor in the victory being so comprehensive.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

23 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

The 2 that missed their chances cost about £6m combined didn’t they? 

If we manage to stay up this year a player in the style of their big forward would be a must for the squad. He caused Nelson a few nerves at the start with his pace and strength.

Be nice to think we could pay £3M for that type of player and the associated wages as it would give us an extra tactical  option

23 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

It is all a game of what ifs. You say that Kenzo should have scored his first attempt.  I agree in principle as that might have proved to be the only goal on another day. However, had he scored, the rest of the game also may have gone so very differently.  

It is all shudda, woulda cudda. 

You also say it was a good away performance.  Again we have a new team, getting used to each other in a tougher league.  That performance will build confidence. 

Just take what it was, enjoy the result and more so the performanc. Oh and by the way, if that was a good away performance, bring on some more.

I did. I don't see which part of my post could give the idea that I didn't enjoy the result and performance. 

27 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I wouldn't say they were rubbish, because they threw a lot of us to start the game and had a very clear threat and if not for some very good goalkeeping and blocks by the defence could have blown us away before we'd even got out of the blocks. Some better finishing would have helped them of course but their shots still hit the target.

What was rubbish was their response to be outmuscled by Ozoh and Adams and their ability to think on their feet once our pressing started to crush them. Mentally they lost it, physically they couldn't stand up to it. The way he way their attackers refused to shoot on sight and instead waited until the perfect opportunity to shoot too was an issue (general buildup play was good to a point). They probably need more time on their attacking cohesion and I can see them improving over the season.

Their cause wasn't helped by Bird (who at one point took an age to turn around and play a pass I've seen him one-touch before) and Knight seemingly being overawed by their PPS return, but make no mistakes it was our own play from front to back which was the main factor in the victory being so comprehensive.

It's interesting Manning stated about his team being 'too emotional'. You could take this as him commenting on Bird and Knight, but I didn't take it that way. They struggled with the emotion when the atmosphere got going second half. The noise went up, we scored the second, then they were at sixes and sevens for the next 10 mins where we really really should've made it three in that period.

The one thing we had which completely overmatched them was athleticism. Warne has preached it since day one, and even more so since promotion. But when was the last time a Derby team was more athletic than the opposition in all the key areas? I honestly can't remember. We were bigger, faster, more agile and more aggressive. Whether it's Ebou being the Gambian Kante, Ozoh just overawing them with his strength, size and calmness, Kenzo with his low centre of gravity or Jackson and NML on the wings. 

So who was it that parked right across the entrance to an industrial premises on Millenium Way which meant it took twice as long to get out after the match?

Unless there ate extenuating circumstances, if you are going to park this selfishly, at least have the decency to get back to your vehicle straight after the match. We were still stuck there after 5.30. 😡

45D06553-130A-4BBA-85E0-5E064189EA15.jpeg

2 hours ago, Srg said:

It's interesting Manning stated about his team being 'too emotional'. You could take this as him commenting on Bird and Knight, but I didn't take it that way. They struggled with the emotion when the atmosphere got going second half. The noise went up, we scored the second, then they were at sixes and sevens for the next 10 mins where we really really should've made it three in that period.

The one thing we had which completely overmatched them was athleticism. Warne has preached it since day one, and even more so since promotion. But when was the last time a Derby team was more athletic than the opposition in all the key areas? I honestly can't remember. We were bigger, faster, more agile and more aggressive. Whether it's Ebou being the Gambian Kante, Ozoh just overawing them with his strength, size and calmness, Kenzo with his low centre of gravity or Jackson and NML on the wings. 

I think Ozoh was huge in the second half. The way he was winning the ball deep and then driving forward, allowed everyone else to get forward and stretch the defence. The final goal epitomised that, and then when he followed up Adams shot, he just brushed the defender to one side like he was a 12 year old.

One of my biggest complaints of Derby the last few years has been us allowing strong midfielders to just carry the ball straight through the middle. No coincidence that Bristol City took our supposedly best two midfielders, and then that was exactly what we did to them on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

I said to the guys around me in the East Stand that once we scored, Bristol started to look 'ratty' all across the park.

And it's not too surprising. They are an established but progressing Championship team and were coming to a newly promoted side who have spent a lot of time this season on the back foot. They were all over us for 20 minutes, should've scored at least once and everything was going to their plan until we change our midfield position and pretty much immediately scored. Then we just started smashing them in midfield and they looked perplexed. I think Bristol came to Pride Park with an arrogance that it was going to be an easy game, and just lost their heads when it started to slip and they couldn't get it back.

It surprised me as well though - we haven't been that dominant in midfield in years. I don't think anyone saw it coming.

18 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

I think Ozoh was huge in the second half. The way he was winning the ball deep and then driving forward, allowed everyone else to get forward and stretch the defence. The final goal epitomised that, and then when he followed up Adams shot, he just brushed the defender to one side like he was a 12 year old.

One of my biggest complaints of Derby the last few years has been us allowing strong midfielders to just carry the ball straight through the middle. No coincidence that Bristol City took our supposedly best two midfielders, and then that was exactly what we did to them on Saturday.

I made reference in an earlier post of mine that Ozoh so far has played average first half but seriously gets stronger in the second half of games whilst opponents get weaker - it’s rather noticeable 

3 minutes ago, Dex said:

I said to the guys around me in the East Stand that once we scored, Bristol started to look 'ratty' all across the park.

And it's not too surprising. They are an established but progressing Championship team and were coming to a newly promoted side who have spent a lot of time this season on the back foot. They were all over us for 20 minutes, should've scored at least once and everything was going to their plan until we change our midfield position and pretty much immediately scored. Then we just started smashing them in midfield and they looked perplexed. I think Bristol came to Pride Park with an arrogance that it was going to be an easy game, and just lost their heads when it started to slip and they couldn't get it back.

It surprised me as well though - we haven't been that dominant in midfield in years. I don't think anyone saw it coming.

Agree to a point but they think they should have been a couple of goals in front and we would have given up but their shots were blocked or were saved by our players - they weren’t good enough and we were better at defending - great post by the way 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Agree to a point but they think they should have been a couple of goals in front and we would have given up but their shots were blocked or were saved by our players - they weren’t good enough and we were better at defending - great post by the way 

Zetterstrom was massive, and a will quickly become a fans favourite.

I understand the point that if we'd conceded it would be a different game.  I think us fans can get quite anxious at the minute (I know I definitely was during that first 20) and it would have been incredibly tense in the ground.

But in reality it probably would have been a case of conceding a goal, and playing a lot better immediately afterwards as we've done quite a lot over the past season or so. I still think we'd have won because they had no answer once we pushed Ozoh up the pitch.