Vs Watford (A) Match Thread

DCFC1388

24 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Agree with pretty much all of that, yet despite Elton's well documented issues with narcotics, I'm not sure it led him to singing songs labelling folk he'd never met as nonces, so if I'm honest, the irony bit escapes me. 

I don't disagree with that, he admits in his autobiography that he was bloody obnoxious (his words) for a long time. But not that stupid, hopefully.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You obviously don't know what Rocketman was really about then!

They're not accusing him of being a junkie though, are they, or did I miss that?

And thanks, but even a simpleton like me can understand the lyrics of Rocketman! 😂

17 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

You called, Madam...

We're on the march with Angie's army,
We're all off t' Premiership.
And we'll really make 'em frown,
When Angie makes 'em all sit down,
And woe betide the ones that give her lip!

*No illegal drugs, medicines, or chemical substances were used in the production of the above masterpiece.

That's truly awful. They'll love it!

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You obviously don't know what Rocketman was really about then!

"Bernie Taupin (the man who wrote the lyrics) has stated the song isn’t a metaphor for anything. It is what it says. He based the song on a short story by sci-fi writer Ray Bradbury called “the rocket man” about a boy whose father is an astronaut. It’s set in the future and Bradbury imagined being an astronaut would be an everyday sort of 9 to 5 job. People are free to turn it into whatever they want but in truth it’s straight forward."

16 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

A group of them stood a couple of rows behind me and they are the most ignorant scum I think I've seen or heard. They cannot have two brain cells between them as all they can do is shout, swear, or "sing" (!!) about is homophobic or racist language.

You cannot speak to them without getting a mouthful or worse, so how do you stop it? Surely they are not like that at home or work, if they have a job to go to that is?

If you can work out their seat numbers, you can report them anonymously to the Club or the Kick it Out website - 

https://www.kickitout.org/report

49 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Yesterday's was the least set-piecey goal we're ever likely to score. In that case, every goal is a set-piece goal, since they all start with from a dead ball somewhere along the way. It's ridiculous, though it hardly matters how we score.

Yes, a throw, to a player, who passes it to another player who then jinks to the bye line crosses it to another player who shoots and scores. I wonder if perhaps those who seek to define these things should set out a specification for the minimum number of passes for a goal to be defined as from open play. ? 

Set piece to me is a maximum of one strike/pass followed by a scoring shot.
With a “possible” perhaps being a goal mouth scramble from the initial strike of a dead ball. 

37 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

They're not accusing him of being a junkie though, are they, or did I miss that?

And thanks, but even a simpleton like me can understand the lyrics of Rocketman! 😂

The film?

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm just guessing, but the film does cover his unreasonable behaviour during his addiction years. 

He was a total dick, but that's true of 99% of folk consuming as much bugle as he was. I think even without the gear, he's always been prone to throwing hissy fits! I'm not trying to defend that, simply saying that nobody should be calling him a sex offender as the two things are entirely unrelated. I'd imagine if Elton composed a ditty labelling us Rams as kiddy fiddlers, we'd not be best pleased, indeed falsely labelling folks nonces will get you levelled in certain quarters.

5 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Arguably, yes. I’d have put Brown on instead of Collins. We were chasing an equaliser so Brown’s pace and movement could have been an asset, Warne went with Collins instead. 

And Collins was hardly ever in the pebslty area yesterday. 

Really frustrating one yesterday, much more than the Blackburn game. The gulf in class was evident in terms of individual ability, but I think as a team we did enough to deserve a point yesterday.

Yes, it was attack v defence for a lot of the game, but that’s always going to be the case when our team is still effectively league one quality - we have to be pragmatic to stand any chance, and we did a pretty good job yesterday in my view. We restricted Watford to very few chances through some excellent defending and sheet work rate. Both their goals were well taken and slightly fortunate to be honest, they had few other clear cut chances. I don’t think as fans we can expect much more from the team currently, given the lack of investment in it.

It does emphasise how important this week is for the club though. We’re currently quite a way off the standard required to even properly compete with mid table Championship sides (which imo Watford will prove to be over the season). You can’t go through a whole season unable to retain possession and with so little threat up front.  

We need serious reinforcements this week, because as things stand Pep Guardiola couldn’t keep this squad up, all due respect to them. Clowes has got to back his manager and get us some proper goal threat in, or we’ve no chance.

Edited by Millenniumram

1 hour ago, jono said:

Yes, a throw, to a player, who passes it to another player who then jinks to the bye line crosses it to another player who shoots and scores. I wonder if perhaps those who seek to define these things should set out a specification for the minimum number of passes for a goal to be defined as from open play. ? 

Set piece to me is a maximum of one strike/pass followed by a scoring shot.
With a “possible” perhaps being a goal mouth scramble from the initial strike of a dead ball. 

Exactly. From a dead ball, there can be 15 minutes of open play before a goal is scored. How on earth is that a set piece goal?

On 24/08/2024 at 17:24, IlsonDerby said:

I don’t endlessly criticise this team. I am consistent in my concerns ie - how we have been coached in our pressing and the lack of composure on the ball when we win it back. I’m not endlessly slating them. I’m not complaining about losing because I expect us to lose matches. I’m not complaining about effort or work rate because I think they’re giving it all. I don’t slate the ownership for not signing X Y Z because we have to live within our means. 

So either put me on ignore or shut up if you’re going to accuse me of not supporting this team. Your reply was as incoherent as it gets. 

So I use the exact words that you originally used in the post I replied too (plus the endless criticism bit, which I’ve seen a lot of it on here from you) which you had posted to criticise the team you support with after the Watford game and your telling me to put you on ignore, or shut up and your telling me that me reply is incoherent, we’ll that makes a lot of sense.

Well done.

Up The Rams 🐏

And your very welcome to meet me and tell me to my face to shut up.

I can’t wait to enjoy your charming manner.

Edited by Inverurie Ram

On 24/08/2024 at 17:28, Jubbs said:

We're never going to stay up until Warne can learn how to coach a team to attack from open play. All 4 of our league goals this season have come from set pieces and we look so toothless going forward from open play.

We've got Goudmijn who's clearly technically very good, use him. Stop making them pump it wide every time we get the ball. OR, use Goudmijn to do that and it'll be a lot more controlled than Bradley/Nelson hoofing it wide 20 yards in front of the wingers in the hope they'll get there.

Also, if we sit back for 90 minutes we're never going to get set pieces to score from.

We were never getting promoted last season with Warne by about 90% of the posters on here for at least 90% of the season……..   but guess what?

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Really frustrating one yesterday, much more than the Blackburn game. The gulf in class was evident in terms of individual ability, but I think as a team we did enough to deserve a point yesterday.

Yes, it was attack v defence for a lot of the game, but that’s always going to be the case when our team is still effectively league one quality - we have to be pragmatic to stand any chance, and we did a pretty good job yesterday in my view. We restricted Watford to very few chances through some excellent defending and sheet work rate. Both their goals were well taken and slightly fortunate to be honest, they had few other clear cut chances. I don’t think as fans we can expect much more from the team currently, given the lack of investment in it.

It does emphasise how important this week is for the club though. We’re currently quite a way off the standard required to even properly compete with mid table Championship sides (which imo Watford will prove to be over the season). You can’t go through a whole season unable to retain possession and with so little threat up front.  

We need serious reinforcements this week, because as things stand Pep Guardiola couldn’t keep this squad up, all due respect to them. Clowes has got to back his manager and get us some proper goal threat in, or we’ve no chance.

I dispute your “league one quality”. … We were promoted so we ain’t league 1. We have started our campaign with a loss (away) a win at home against a top side, and a narrow loss, again away, to an experienced established side. We have 3 points on the board regardless of reinforcements. Yes of course we need them if we are to prosper, but at this point, having played 2 away games against strong sides and a home game against promotion hopefuls we are not in the drop zone. So no … we are not League 1 quality. Short on numbers yes, but stop down grading us, it isn’t warranted by the evidence. 

10 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I thought we deserved a draw.  We’ve obviously learnt from the Blackburn game as being too open there cost us.  They scored a cracking goal to equalise and for their second the ball could have dropped anywhere.  You can’t fault JWZ for either goal and I thought he did OK.

Given Watfords start and the fact it’s their best scoring start to a season for over 40years I thought we set up about right.  If we’d have been more open and higher up the pitch we’d have been exposed.

We obviously need a bit more in the attacking areas and it’s clear PW and everyone is working hard to get those players in this week.

Maybe I look at things too positive but I really don’t get the negativity.  3 games, against good opposition, 2 away games and 3 points and 15th position.  That’s decent while we find our feet.  Nothing is won or lost now.  At one point last season we were 11th.  Players will still come in, and other than Blackburn we’ve set up well to deal with the opposition.  A bit more luck we’d have drawn yesterday.

@FlyBritishMidland in this world positivity means your a complete nut job, a happy clapper, someone that is not capable of criticism, negativity.

Whereas in the wonderful world of negativity, it is the place to be, it’s hip, it’s cool, everyone’s doing it, so let’s all join in and find something to attack, to mock, to belittle, to hurt, to destroy, to drag down and then when we’ve all seen it fall apart, move on to something else, to get our teeth into, to get angry about, so we can feel even more miserable, by sharing all our negativity to drip into the mindset of so many readers, so hopefully they can all agree and feel miserable too.

A very successful businessman with some very successful people around him managed to save this wonderful club from the brink, then quickly got the club promoted and already the club is being very competitive in the Championship.

I might be one of a few people on here that will not fall in to the trap of the sheep mentality, of lets highlight the negativity at every possible opportunity, instead of all the many positives we have, because I’m a Ram.

I’d rather be happy than sad. That is my choice, and the one I choose.

Derby County Football Club makes me happy. I love it, and the club are moving forward positively in my eyes, and I’m sure there are many others on here, that also love the club and also see it moving forwards positively and will agree with such.

Up The Rams 🐏

Ramtastic Day.

7 hours ago, ziggazagga said:

Great away day, loved walking down the yellow brick road, the murals of Elton who has contributed more to this country than some of our coke snorting knuckleheads can only wet dream about,  and Graham Taylor . Nice to have a stadium still in the middle of town, great view of the pitch.  Came away pleasantly reassured, saw enough on the pitch to convince me there will be three worse teams than us,  we went toe to toe with a very good team for long periods and three points from our first three games back in the championship will do.  On to Barrow, cant think of any sex offenders from there but no doubt the meatheads will let me know 

I took my boys to Watford v Brentford a few seasons ago, we loved it.

Great ground and like yourself @ziggazagga loved walking to and from the ground surrounded by good folk enjoying a good game of football.

The sun shone and we enjoyed a good day out enjoying the beautiful game of football. 

D.C.F.C Life, Love & Unity 🐏

54 minutes ago, jono said:

I dispute your “league one quality”. … We were promoted so we ain’t league 1. We have started our campaign with a loss (away) a win at home against a top side, and a narrow loss, again away, to an experienced established side. We have 3 points on the board regardless of reinforcements. Yes of course we need them if we are to prosper, but at this point, having played 2 away games against strong sides and a home game against promotion hopefuls we are not in the drop zone. So no … we are not League 1 quality. Short on numbers yes, but stop down grading us, it isn’t warranted by the evidence. 

We got promoted with a different team so you can’t really make comparisons. Losing the likes of Bird weakened us before we strengthened this window. Obviously I’d argue we have a stronger squad now than we did last year, but there’s a gap between League One and the Championship that I’m not sure we’ve quite yet breached. Maybe League One quality isn’t the right term… but I’m not sure we’re quite up to Championship standard yet.

Put it this way, how many players of ours would teams outside the two promoted with us want to sign? I’d argue Cashin, Goudmijn, Zetterstrom and Ozoh. I don’t think any other player gets in a side outside the bottom three. And that, by its very definition, means I don’t think we have enough quality in the team to survive currently. Big few days ahead.