The Keeper

I'd play zetterstrom personally.

Working on the principle that Vickers stays in because he played well, the logical conclusion is that he gets dropped when he plays badly. Why wait for that? 

My view is that Vickers is a grown up, he realises he is going to be number 2, so let him finish (for now) on a high of playing well.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

He was part of the winning TEAM though.

The person that chooses the man of the match doesn’t pick the team.

Personally I would pick Zetterstrom (providing he has trained well and is understanding of how our back 4 play) and Yates because that is what I believe is our strongest team, even though I do think it would be very harsh on Vickers.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

He was part of the winning TEAM though.

The person that chooses the man of the match doesn’t pick the team.

For what it’s worth I thought Collo was one of the weaker players on Saturday and would be looking at changing him at the first opportunity.

On 18/08/2024 at 15:14, The Running Man said:

Warne does however seem like a 'dont change a winning team if you can help it' kinda guy, so I do suspect Vickers will start against Watford.

That being the case, in the highly unlikely event of us keeping a clean sheet at Watford, Vickers would be on course for 2nd consecutive MOTM 

Goalkeeper plays his best game for us and now folk want to drop him. Doesn't work well for team morale unfortunately. It's Vickers to lose in my opinion.

However, I think deep down Warne doesn't have full confidence in Vickers' ability as a full time number one goalkeeper. Wildsmith wasn't his signing, Wildsmith seemingly fell out with Warne somewhere down the road but Warne kept playing him regardless. I know Vickers was injured at times and of course had his very sad personal situation. There has been a couple of times where I thought Warne could easily drop Wildsmith but he didn't pull the trigger

One mistake from Vickers and Zetterstrom will be straight in.

16 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I'd play zetterstrom personally.

Working on the principle that Vickers stays in because he played well, the logical conclusion is that he gets dropped when he plays badly. Why wait for that? 

My view is that Vickers is a grown up, he realises he is going to be number 2, so let him finish (for now) on a high of playing well.

Exactly this. If Warne is convinced JWZ is the better keeper then play him. Vickers is ok at this level in general, and was very good against 'Boro, but we all know that the Boro performance was the exception, not the rule.

I'm probably ok with starting Vickers on Saturday & giving JWZ his debut at Barrow.

However, I remember when we signed Steve Sutton in 1991/92. Arthur Cox decided to give Martin Taylor a further game as starter away at Tranmere in March. Taylor didn't perform well & we blew a 3-1 lead to lose 4-3 - that 3 extra points would have got us automatic promotion - we ended up losing to Blackburn in the playoffs

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

I'm probably ok with starting Vickers on Saturday & giving JWZ his debut at Barrow.

However, I remember when we signed Steve Sutton in 1991/92. Arthur Cox decided to give Martin Taylor a further game as starter away at Tranmere in March. Taylor didn't perform well & we blew a 3-1 lead to lose 4-3 - that 3 extra points would have got us automatic promotion - we ended up losing to Blackburn in the playoffs

I don't think you could blame him for a penalty that should have been a free kick our way 😉 

On 18/08/2024 at 18:18, Tyler Durden said:

What's the difference between being a good League 2 goalkeeper and a good Championship one?

Surely all good goalkeepers earn their corn by stopping shots, catching crosses, distributing the ball etc so what happens in League 2 that doesn't happen in the Championship?

Must go and watch a few League 2 games as it must be a cricket score every Saturday. 

Very little

Cameron Dawson springs to mind

Does the same rule apply if new keeper has a bad game , does he get replaced by Vickers ? 

How many settling in games where he isnt very good is he allowed before Vickers gets back in ? 

On 21/08/2024 at 13:44, RaminBerlin said:

Give me give me give me a Swede on Saturday

Don’t know how this thread started but good luck to Big Jake . Be interested see what he is like with the ball at his feet . No bobbly back passes for the first 20 pls . 

On 18/08/2024 at 18:18, Tyler Durden said:

What's the difference between being a good League 2 goalkeeper and a good Championship one?

Surely all good goalkeepers earn their corn by stopping shots, catching crosses, distributing the ball etc so what happens in League 2 that doesn't happen in the Championship?

Must go and watch a few League 2 games as it must be a cricket score every Saturday. 

This is a point I often make myself. A good GK is a good GK no matter the league or country really. Outfield players are obviously different but there is nothing that a keeper could conceivably face or experience in L2 that they couldn't in the PL.

3 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

This is a point I often make myself. A good GK is a good GK no matter the league or country really. Outfield players are obviously different but there is nothing that a keeper could conceivably face or experience in L2 that they couldn't in the PL.

Haaland ?