The Keeper

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What's the difference between being a good League 2 goalkeeper and a good Championship one?

Surely all good goalkeepers earn their corn by stopping shots, catching crosses, distributing the ball etc so what happens in League 2 that doesn't happen in the Championship?

Must go and watch a few League 2 games as it must be a cricket score every Saturday. 

Well, yes.  But that could be said for strikers - they all try to score goals.  Or indeed for any profession.

Small Margins make all the difference.  One second quicker, or one meter faster could be the difference between being a million pound or ten million pound player. 

Just now, valakari said:

If you chase a player for so long, pay a relatively large fee for him, and then don't play him when you've got him, then i think its utter madness!

Bear in mind, the reason we were looking for another keeper, is that the one we already had, was the understudy in a lower division last season.

As ever, a logical post, val. However, PW said at the weekend, pre match IIRC, that the shirt is Vickers' to lose. Based on that performance he'll be between the sticks at Watford. Then there's the back niggle he picked up in the game. Might that be what sees Zetterstrom get a first start?

17 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

What's the difference between being a good League 2 goalkeeper and a good Championship one?

Surely all good goalkeepers earn their corn by stopping shots, catching crosses, distributing the ball etc so what happens in League 2 that doesn't happen in the Championship?

Must go and watch a few League 2 games as it must be a cricket score every Saturday. 

I was a goalkeeper, quite good as a youngster, captained the County, played under 15's for Derby and U16's for Chesterfield and Norwich, also Eric Steele was my keeper coach and took me training at Wolves and Oxford when I was 15, also trained at Burton and played for Mickleover as an adult, also Roger Davies had me playing for the ex-Rams when they were short of a keeper. I was nowhere near being pro-level but got an insight into goalkeepers at a pro-level.

I still see Eric for a coffee and or training youngsters, and we both think that mentality is the big difference between a league 2 keeper and a Prem keeper, keepers (as anyone in the goalkeepers union will know) can be technically proficient, but it's the ability to forget mistakes, not be worried about playing. Similar to a Kevin Keegan outlook, it's about the ability to play under pressure. Personally I was always terrified before a game as I knew my kicking was not up to scratch,  if mentally another goalkeeper is prepared for that and knows how to combat it (pass short, have a CF on halfway ready for a big kick etc) then they are going to be better

Also, from a manager/keeper dynamic, it's Vickers shirt to loose.

Edited by Mick Harford

22 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

I was a goalkeeper, quite good as a youngster, captained the County, played under 15's for Derby and U16's for Chesterfield and Norwich, also Eric Steele was my keeper coach and took me training at Wolves and Oxford when I was 15, also trained at Burton and played for Mickleover as an adult, also Roger Davies had me playing for the ex-Rams when they were short of a keeper. I was nowhere near being pro-level but got an insight into goalkeepers at a pro-level.

I still see Eric for a coffee and or training youngsters, and we both think that mentality is the big difference between a league 2 keeper and a Prem keeper, keepers (as anyone in the goalkeepers union will know) can be technically proficient, but it's the ability to forget mistakes, not be worried about playing. Similar to a Kevin Keegan outlook, it's about the ability to play under pressure. Personally I was always terrified before a game as I knew my kicking was not up to scratch,  if mentally another goalkeeper is prepared for that and knows how to combat it (pass short, have a CF on halfway ready for a big kick etc) then they are going to be better

Also, from a manager/keeper dynamic, it's Vickers shirt to loose.

A smaller size should cure this problem. 

22 hours ago, The Running Man said:

I don't think Vickers ever expected to be number 1. He was brought is at a similar time as Wildmith, and presumably always knew he would be the number 2, and I don't think he has any ambitions to be a number 1, or he'd be out the door on loan last season. He's a good guy and a model pro, and I think he's happy as a backup keeper. He's not an idiot and doesn't think we spunked a massive fee (in our situation) on a 'keeper from Sweden to sit them on the bench.

Watch me be proven wrong my him joining Fornah at Salford now 😅

Warne does however seem like a 'dont change a winning team if you can help it' kinda guy, so I do suspect Vickers will start against Watford.

While I don't think he's overly happy to be a No.2 (lets face it, 99.9% of footballers hate training, only not to start a game) but I certainly don't think he's one to spit his dummy out.  I imagine that the passing of his wife gives him a lot of perspective regarding what's important in life.  

He played well on Saturday so I've got no issue with him starting against Watford while Jacob gets settled 

I would have thought the centre backs need to spend some time training with Zetterstrom before he gets game time. I may be wrong but I would have thought it would be critical they understand each others approach to attacking crosses, which is their strongest foot etc...to stop basic mistakes that could give a goal away.

Not sure if a week is enough considering we have a cup game midweek. We might chuck him in the cup game to get mistakes out the way 🤷‍♂️

Thought Vicars had a game where he didn't make any mistakes, which is the bare minimum in the championship. Zetterstrom from what I've been reading about is excellent at getting the ball out quickly (kicking and throwing) if we are sitting deep most games and hope to hit teams on the counter, he's perfect to bring in against the teams that will dominate (Watford).

I’ll go against the tide with this one and say the keeper position shouldn’t be any different to any other, nor should the transfer fee paid matter when it comes to team selection.

Vickers is coming off his best game probably in a Derby shirt, to immediately drop him following that performance sends out the wrong message.

He deserves to start Saturday, plays well again, starts the following Saturday and allow Zetterstrom have his debut v Barrow for a run out.

7 minutes ago, Day said:

I’ll go against the tide with this one and say the keeper position shouldn’t be any different to any other, nor should the transfer fee paid matter when it comes to team selection.

Vickers is coming off his best game probably in a Derby shirt, to immediately drop him following that performance sends out the wrong message.

He deserves to start Saturday, plays well again, starts the following Saturday and allow Zetterstrom have his debut v Barrow for a run out.

I strongly suspect that this is precisely how Warne will view it. He's clearly very honest with his players about their prospects, perhaps too much so and part of this ethos is rewarding players who play well.

Wildsmith could have stayed and fought for his place, but chose not to. Josh has seized his chance and in a tough match, produced his best performance to date as a a Ram. JWZ will doubtless replace Vickers in time, but I think Josh likely keeps the shirt for the next game at least and rightly so IMO.

General note; folk shouldn't forget what Josh has endured outside of football most recently. I'm not advocating sympathy, or suggesting that as a reason to keep playing him,merely suggesting that we may perhaps have judged him on his performances where his head may understandably have been elsewhere. The protracted signing of JWZ can't have been easy for him either, so perhaps a little more credit is due. Just my opinion! 

I can't see Warne dropping Vickers straight away.   You can't publicly state the new keeper is coming in to compete for the jersey then drop Vickers straight after what many saw as a motm performance.   It would just undermine his credibility.   

He's big on winning the shirt through performances and whilst personally I'd want to put Zetterstrom straight in there's something to be said for consistency of the message that you prove your worth by your last performance.  There are arguments both ways but pretty sure Zetterstrom will not go straight in - if I'm wrong i wouldn't mind though. 

15 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

I can't see Warne dropping Vickers straight away.   You can't publicly state the new keeper is coming in to compete for the jersey then drop Vickers straight after what many saw as a motm performance.   It would just undermine his credibility.   

He's big on winning the shirt through performances and whilst personally I'd want to put Zetterstrom straight in there's something to be said for consistency of the message that you prove your worth by your last performance.  There are arguments both ways but pretty sure Zetterstrom will not go straight in - if I'm wrong i wouldn't mind though. 

So by the same token, ie not changing a winning side do you also leave out Yates.