Brendan Wiredu

Eoghan1884

Must say, whenever I seen him I thought he was excellent and to be honest a Warne type player, strong and fast aswell as being able to play centre back, right back and in midfield. He is 6 foot 3 and very solid defensively. He has 2 years left on his contract but since fleetwood are now in league two I’m not sure how much he’d cost. At just 24 he certainly has a lot of upside.

8 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Must say, whenever I seen him I thought he was excellent and to be honest a Warne type player, strong and fast aswell as being able to play centre back, right back and in midfield. He is 6 foot 3 and very solid defensively. He has 2 years left on his contract but since fleetwood are now in league two I’m not sure how much he’d cost. At just 24 he certainly has a lot of upside.

The article says he has 1 year left on his deal but Transfermarkt says it runs until 2026.

Cant say I know much about him but from your description he does sound like the sort we could do with.

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

The article says he has 1 year left on his deal but Transfermarkt says it runs until 2026.

Cant say I know much about him but from your description he does sound like the sort we could do with.

A lot of league one pages and fleetwood fans did think they’d lose him to a top top L1 team or bottom half champ team when they were relegated. Maybe he has 1 year with an option.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I can’t see it, sounds like agent talk to me. He’s a CDM isn’t he? Can’t see us signing any more of them this window given we’ve already signed Ozoh

I think he started as a CDM but has been playing CB recently.Β 

Makes a lot of sense. The only downside is him being very weak in the air. It ties in with Nelson playing as the central CB in a couple of the pre-season friendlies too.

Excellent in 1v1s and likes to drive forward on the ball. Seems to be what Warne wants from the wide CBs.

If we want someone for the centre of a back three, then someone who can also play CDM is a bonus. It'll mean he can move forward in transition. Wiredu seems alright on the ball, has a decent range of passing, has good pace and has the physical attributes we need.

I think he'd be a good option. He's now playing in League 2 so I don't think he'd cost a massive amount, and at 24 years of age he'd give us a strong chance of making a profit when he does move on.

Looking at Wiredu I compared his stats last season to Nelson and Cashin. We averages 51% possession compared to fleetwoods 46.1% and Wiredu played a few games in midfield to start the season so stats will be slightly skewed. Took all stats from opta.

Succesful tackles p90 Wiredu came in at 2.16 compared to Cashins 1.6 and Nelson’s .93.

In clearances Wiredu had 3.22 p90 with 1.43 headed clearances p90 Cashin came in with 5.13 clearances and a big 3.35 headed clearances. Nelson slightly less with 4 clearances p90 and 2.39 headed clearances. This shows how Wiredu needs to work on heading definitely something that can be coached considering his size and athleticism.Β 
Β 

Interception wise Wiredu averaged 1.90 per 90 which beats Cashins 1.65 and Nelson’s 1.13.Β 
Β 

Looking at these stats he’d be perfect as a right centre back on the right with Nelson moving into the centre. To back this up also Wiredu averaged 2.4 successful long balls a game and Nelson only averages 2.22. Cashins 5.02 blows both out of the water but Wiredu certainly is comfortable on the ball hence the reason he played in midfield multiple times.Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

I wonder if we could maybe send Brown there on loan as part of the deal. I would imagine they will be top end of League 2.

I just don't see the obsession with sending Brown out on loan. The lad's about to turn 19 and has a man's physique. That's surely the prime age for a striker with pace, power and an eye for goal to burst onto the scene. Why on earth can't we give him a chance to make his mark with us? We need to give him game time before the end of the month to properly be able to make that call.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I just don't see the obsession with sending Brown out on loan. The lad's about to turn 19 and has a man's physique. That's surely the prime age for a striker with pace, power and an eye for goal to burst onto the scene. Why on earth can't we give him a chance to make his mark with us? We need to give him game time before the end of the month to properly be able to make that call.

I'd play him v ChesterfieldΒ 

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not everyone is ready at 19. Just ask Harry Kane.

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

DBrown isn't yet a Championship reguaor forward. The question to ask is: will he get there quicker by playing regularly in L1, or the occasional sub appearance for us.

When it finally clicks for Dajaune, he'll be an absolute monster. Currently, I feel he's lacking that arrogance/confidence which Cashin essentially referred to 2 years ago. He doesn't yet feel like he belongs at that level. A short (6 month) loan to L1, would be enough to pave the way from him being a very goof NL forward to being an effective Championship forward.

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Because from what I have seen of him he isnt good enough yet to be playing in the Champ, I think he would even struggle top end of League 1. Preseason was his chance to impress & imo he didnt do enough.

We're not in a position to give a 19 year old a chance in the hope he may come good, this season we need to make sure we stay up first & foremost.

Also, putting him in before he is ready could damage him more than help him.