Paris Olympics

1of4

This is one to watch - if I'd simply been shown photos of the two boxers concerned, I would have assumed they're both males, though they say otherwise and now the IOC have agreed with them. A contentious issue no doubt, particularly in a combat sport. Fingers crossed none of their opponents get badly injured or the shid will certainly hit the fan :

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/29/boxers-who-failed-gender-tests-at-world-championships-cleared-to-compete-at-olympics

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

But surely that would rule out track events as they have judges for the starting blocks and finish line. Admittedly there are cameras but judges judge them

Judges by name, referees by nature - all they're doing is checking the rules are being followed, as opposed to deciding who wins.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Isn't that what VAR is? 😅

Equestrian sports were included in the ancient Greek Olympics, so you may have a hard job arguing that they don't belong in the modern version. It's not a sport that I'd normally take notice of, but you only have to look at the injuries that Laura Cotter suffered to appreciate that it's more dangerous than most.

The Olympics has quite a few categories that I'd like to see the back of, not least the ones that they've shoehorned in for popularity reasons - Golf, Tennis, Football, Break Dancing etc, and, yes, many of the "sports" that are actually just dancing done badly.

I mean they used to stone people and die of the common cold in the ancient Olympics. Just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s good.

I just think if there’s an easy path to making a living from a sport, then if they want to include it then it should be a variation that isn’t as popular. Padel is coming in so get rid of tennnis, futsal for football, longest drive for golf… sevens already done it for rugby. 

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

I mean they used to stone people and die of the common cold in the ancient Olympics. Just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s good.

I just think if there’s an easy path to making a living from a sport, then if they want to include it then it should be a variation that isn’t as popular. Padel is coming in so get rid of tennnis, futsal for football, longest drive for golf… sevens already done it for rugby. 

I'm all in favour of those alternatives - millionaire sports don't need this platform, but what would you replace the likes of athletics with? Usain Bolt isn't poor, but the average competitor relies on grants to train and compete. The days of the Olympics being for amateurs only are long gone and staging the games would be difficult without the sponsors that the glamourous events attract.

Edited by Crewton

55 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Interesting stat. Combining medals for summer and winter since the games began 1896 to 2022 has GB in 4th place. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_Olympic_Games_medal_table   It's under Combined total (1896–2022). Summer GB in 3rd place Winter 18th place.

Goes to show how much support we give to sport in this country, considering the heavyweights tend to be those with the biggest populations (USA, China). Hadn't realised that China have only competed as an Olympic organisation in 11 Games. 

10 hours ago, Crewton said:

Isn't that what VAR is? 😅

Equestrian sports were included in the ancient Greek Olympics, so you may have a hard job arguing that they don't belong in the modern version. It's not a sport that I'd normally take notice of, but you only have to look at the injuries that Laura Cotter suffered to appreciate that it's more dangerous than most.

The Olympics has quite a few categories that I'd like to see the back of, not least the ones that they've shoehorned in for popularity reasons - Golf, Tennis, Football, Break Dancing etc, and, yes, many of the "sports" that are actually just dancing done badly.

I don't think Tennis feels too shoehorned. The elite players turn up for it and seem to take it seriously, and Murray's win in 2012 was great.

Olympic football feels crap from our perspective, but I think I'm right in saying the South Americans (particularly Brazil) take it incredibly seriously. The football always gets massive attendances too.

22 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Diving and gymnastics are incredibly difficult - as my son's diving coach used to say "if it was easy it would be called football"

I don't disagree they are difficult, but my point remains; whilst your score is dependent on the view of other humans, doubt has to be there about their competence, honesty, mental health etc. 

In diving , did they even blink at the wrong time!

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

I don't disagree they are difficult, but my point remains; whilst your score is dependent on the view of other humans, doubt has to be there about their competence, honesty, mental health etc. 

In diving , did they even blink at the wrong time!

Thats why they dont count all the marks 

Oddly obsessed with the corpse of Andy Murray and the world’s 784th best Tennis player Dan Evans’ run in the tennis doubles. And I don’t even like tennis. 

Edited by Srg

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Oddly obsessed with the corpse of Andy Murray and the world’s 784th best Tennis player Dan Evans’ run in the tennis doubles. And I don’t even like tennis. 

Yeah, they were so poor in the first game, it’s a miracle they got through. I liked the fact they laughed about it.

Another ten point play off again. Murray’s like a turd that won’t flush but I am warming to him.

20 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yeah, they were so poor in the first game, it’s a miracle they got through. I liked the fact they laughed about it.

Another ten point play off again. Murray’s like a turd that won’t flush but I am warming to him.

If there was a gold medal for fist pumping celebrations these pair would be easily Olympic champions. Every single point without fail. 

Great day so far for team GB on wonderful Wednesday. 
I thought Yee was done and heading for his second Olympic silver…guess thats why he is an Olympian and most of us are now. Incredible last kilometre run.

Take a bow the lasses on the water too. Outstanding guts…

Take a piss the boxing judges again!!

Edited by StockholmRam

On 30/07/2024 at 10:50, Crewton said:

This is one to watch - if I'd simply been shown photos of the two boxers concerned, I would have assumed they're both males, though they say otherwise and now the IOC have agreed with them. A contentious issue no doubt, particularly in a combat sport. Fingers crossed none of their opponents get badly injured or the shid will certainly hit the fan :

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/29/boxers-who-failed-gender-tests-at-world-championships-cleared-to-compete-at-olympics

Pinched from elsewhere after this mornings fight.

“Angela Carini was in floods of tears as she stopped to speak in the interview area, having abandoned her bout with after only 46 seconds. Her voice quavering, she said that she pulled out because she had never been hit so hard. Imane Khelif swept through the mixed zone without saying a word. It is staggering to think how only yesterday, Mark Adams, the International Olympic Committee’s spokesman, had said that everyone should just “dial down” the issue and not instigate a “witchhunt”. To reiterate, Khelif had failed two sex tests by the International Boxing Association. It is, frankly, an absolute scandal.”

……………..unfortunately someone is going to get seriously injured!

spacer.png

It's incredibly frustrating trying to find actual information on this boxing story. It seems like neither the IOC or the IBA are willing to be transparent regarding what their respective testing procedures actually are.

48 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from elsewhere after this mornings fight.

“Angela Carini was in floods of tears as she stopped to speak in the interview area, having abandoned her bout with after only 46 seconds. Her voice quavering, she said that she pulled out because she had never been hit so hard. Imane Khelif swept through the mixed zone without saying a word. It is staggering to think how only yesterday, Mark Adams, the International Olympic Committee’s spokesman, had said that everyone should just “dial down” the issue and not instigate a “witchhunt”. To reiterate, Khelif had failed two sex tests by the International Boxing Association. It is, frankly, an absolute scandal.”

……………..unfortunately someone is going to get seriously injured!

spacer.png

What I cannot understand is where is the pride in entering a contest where you know you're going to win? Just strikes me as similar to a PE teacher getting involved in kids sport and being proud and boastful when they beat them...   You just have to look at the physical differences between the two and you can see the poor girl in blue doesn't stand a chance. I don't blame her for not shaking the opponents hand as I doubt I'd have done either. 

54 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Someone is going to get seriously injured!

Only way this will end. Serious injuries followed by lengthy and costly lawsuits/damages. It'll be interesting to see where the relevant governing bodies stand when half their funding ends up being swallowed up by legal fees/payouts.

Surely the fairest outcome is to introduce more categories and let everyone compete on a level playing field.

Genuine question - how many people who've transitioned from women to men have gone on to dominate a male sporting discipline?

Edited by StaffsRam