Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, AmberRamber said:

Used to watch Roger Jones and jaka Bankovic in goal when first started going to the BBG.

Steele and Wallington eventually onto England's number when we signed Shilton.

With the plethora of Keepers since then one stands above all.......POOOOOOOM.

That lad was immense some of the stuff he saved he had no right to get to including low down either side.

Didn't parry things back into play would turn it around the post or away from goal.

Cant think of one glaring error or mistake.

And his decision making on when to come for a cross was excellent and dominated his six yard box

If this lad is close to that kind of pedigree then we are on a winner.

At 26 he will get better with experience and by his early thirties will be in his goalkeeping prime.

Hopefully he can play well enough for our rams to get more international caps.

But the  big Estonia is by far the best keeper in my time of watching the rams and will take an awful lot of fantastic goalkeeping from someone to top him

I remember him coming out to grab the ball about 4 foot of the ground from a cross in a game against Southampton.  3 forwards ready to smash it in and he took it clean before anyone could get to it.  Best take of a ball of seen.  When he scored against us my dad was doing a marathon up that that way and had the game on the local radio.  The Sunderland commentary couldn't believe the reaction he got scoring against his old club in the last minute when we were really struggling for points.

The best reaction save i've seen was Lee Camp from a downward header against Wigan.  

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I remember him coming out to grab the ball about 4 foot of the ground from a cross in a game against Southampton.  3 forwards ready to smash it in and he took it clean before anyone could get to it.  Best take of a ball of seen.  When he scored against us my dad was doing a marathon up that that way and had the game on the local radio.  The Sunderland commentary couldn't believe the reaction he got scoring against his old club in the last minute when we were really struggling for points.

The best reaction save i've seen was Lee Camp from a downward header against Wigan.  

I forgot that happened.  It really is a remarkable header.

My school mate managed in the Swedish leagues at the same time as Potter. Says he's a pretty decent keeper. 

Says he often wears a rugby type helmet and looks like a dick. 

Edited by oomarkwright
#

2 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Certainly a lot smarter way of spending. For example let’s say this year we paid the full 750k up front and give Zetterström 10k a week that’s 1.27 million for the year. I’d imagine Leicester would want a small loan fee for Iversen lets say 200k and then + his 20k wages that’s 1.24 million that’s is basically paying roughly 30k just to sort out a long term goalie rather than kicking the can further down the road. Definitely a good investment and Internal decision on our behalf. 

Exactly. I’m never a massive fan of loans of “older” players. You just end up paying potentially a fortune in wages for a player who isn’t yours at the end of the season - and you can’t derive any value from. Younger loans such as Ozoh are different of course, because their wages tend to be lower and they’re sometimes of a level of quality that you simply cannot purchase in this division. But otherwise, permanent transfers are generally much better imo - you’ve got yourselves an asset that way.

I've just had a peak on their forum again, they seem to be in somewhat of a crisis - not over JWZ so to speak, but the club are offloading a number of their best players. 

They're in disbelief of the fee received for him, though. 20m seems to have rubbed a few of them up the wrong way, albeit it sounds like they already have a replacement lined up in Jacob Rinne. 

There are a couple more posts about the issues with his feet (assuming distribution and receiving the ball under pressure). I guess it's not something we tend to do, but I'm intrigued to what extent he struggles. It seems like he's taken significant developmental strides over the past year (or so) particularly in the air and not being so erratic coming out - although after Wildsmith smashing two people on the edge of the box for penalties that's nothing new. 

I think we're getting a keeper who is still pretty raw, but refining what he is and has fantastic attributes to work with. Warne has always placed an emphasis on the goalkeeper position and even working with pittance at Rotherham was always able to sign good goalkeepers.

Edited by Ambitious

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I've just had a peak on their forum again, they seem to be in somewhat of a crisis - not over JWZ so to speak, but the club are offloading a number of their best players. 

They're in disbelief of the fee received for him, though. 20m seems to have rubbed a few of them up the wrong way, albeit it sounds like they already have a replacement lined up in Jacob Rinne. 

There are a couple more posts about the issues with his feet (assuming distribution and receiving the ball under pressure). I guess it's not something we tend to do, but I'm intrigued to what extent he struggles. It seems like he's taken significant developmental strides over the past year (or so) particularly in the air and not being so erratic coming out - although after Wildsmith smashing two people on the edge of the box for penalties that's nothing new. 

I think we're getting a keeper who is still pretty raw, but refining what he is and has fantastic attributes to work with. Warne has always placed an emphasis on the goalkeeper position and even working with pittance at Rotherham was always able to sign good goalkeepers.

I am not surprised they are annoyed. It’s mid season in Sweden, and they have a European qualifier on Thursday. Hardly great timing. They are also second in the league.

16 hours ago, Malagaram said:

There is no way we will get demoted from the Championshipwith all this money we are spending on players.

What are the odds for the Rams,promotion and Demotion

I mean the championship looks bloody tough this year. When fixtures came out it made me gulp as I scanned down it looking for the ‘easy’ fixtures. Even the s**** seem to have got themselves sorted out with good managers (QPR Wednesday etc). 

Despite the clear improvements to our squad I still think staying up for this first season will be a big effort.

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I mean the championship looks bloody tough this year. When fixtures came out it made me gulp as I scanned down it looking for the ‘easy’ fixtures. Even the s**** seem to have got themselves sorted out with good managers (QPR Wednesday etc). 

Despite the clear improvements to our squad I still think staying up for this first season will be a big effort.

Agree with this, excited about our signing but feel more key payers required 

16 hours ago, Malagaram said:

There is no way we will get demoted from the Championshipwith all this money we are spending on players.

What are the odds for the Rams,promotion and Demotion

I agree with you on going down, but I would say that is as much down to the ethos of the club than the amount spent - Birmingham last season for a marker.

Generally, clubs in turmoil get relegated from Championship.  We have gone from probably the worst to one of the best set ups in English football.  

17 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I thought Plymouth looked to be the weakest, especially with Rooney. I also thought Oxford, but they've recruited well so far. Beyond that, it's going to be VERY competitive. A top-half finish would be amazing. A middle third of the table would be good. Anything other than relegation will be mission accomplished IMO. Recruit again next summer and then go again. Plus hopefully, with another year under the Academy/U21's belt hopefully we'll start bearing fruit through that route as well, the likes of Weston maybe.

12 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I thought Plymouth looked to be the weakest, especially with Rooney. I also thought Oxford, but they've recruited well so far. Beyond that, it's going to be VERY competitive. A top-half finish would be amazing. A middle third of the table would be good. Anything other than relegation will be mission accomplished IMO. Recruit again next summer and then go again. Plus hopefully, with another year under the Academy/U21's belt hopefully we'll start bearing fruit through that route as well, the likes of Weston maybe.

I'm pretty sure Tony Weston has left hasnt he?

48 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Blackburn my favourites for the drop. I think Oxford are one of the weaker teams but I think Rooney having had a preseason will do ok with Plymouth. I think we need more goals in the side to be confident we will be ok. At the moment I am concerned 

8 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

Blackburn my favourites for the drop. I think Oxford are one of the weaker teams but I think Rooney having had a preseason will do ok with Plymouth. I think we need more goals in the side to be confident we will be ok. At the moment I am concerned 

Goals are a highlighted problem for most clubs in the bottom half - Jerry Yates would've been the top goalscorer at 6/7 clubs last season (I believe). 

I think the true talent of a team is usually shown through the goal difference, I would personally be concerned if I was a Cardiff fan despite them finishing 12th last season. They had the fourth worse goal difference in the league and their top goalscorers both finished on 6 - Perry Ng (right back) and Karlan Grant (on loan, since moved on). In fact, three of their top six goalscorers were on loan and have moved on: Grant, Bowler, Ugbo (half a season). They also had the fourth worse record for goals conceded in the league with 70(!). 

They have added Chris Willock to their team who is a good signing, as well as Calum Chambers, who should be solid - however, he's not really played any consistent football since 2018/19 so who knows how he will take to playing three games a week. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Goals are a highlighted problem for most clubs in the bottom half - Jerry Yates would've been the top goalscorer at 6/7 clubs last season (I believe). 

I think the true talent of a team is usually shown through the goal difference, I would personally be concerned if I was a Cardiff fan despite them finishing 12th last season. They had the fourth worse goal difference in the league and their top goalscorers both finished on 6 - Perry Ng (right back) and Karlan Grant (on loan, since moved on). In fact, three of their top six goalscorers were on loan and have moved on: Grant, Bowler, Ugbo (half a season). They also had the fourth worse record for goals conceded in the league with 70(!). 

They have added Chris Willock to their team who is a good signing, as well as Calum Chambers, who should be solid - however, he's not really played any consistent football since 2018/19 so who knows how he will take to playing three games a week. 

Blackburn have done very little, and will lose Szmodics sooner rather than later. What on earth is going on at Hull should be concerning too. Lost 63 of the 68 goals they scored last season through player sales, and the only signing they've made is a full back yesterday.

Just now, Srg said:

Blackburn have done very little, and will lose Szmodics sooner rather than later. What on earth is going on at Hull should be concerning too. Lost 63 of the 68 goals they scored last season through player sales, and the only signing they've made is a full back yesterday.

The manager also played the kids in their first domestic pre-season friendly and saw them get demoralised by Doncaster 4-0. I do think they will eventually start throwing the cash around - wouldn't be surprised to see them panic and spend £25-30m this window. 

Blackburn, obviously, should be concerned. I don't think the Venky's are allowed to invest money from overseas at the moment, are they? Player sales are effectively funding them.

Relegation odds - 
Oxford 2.25
Plymouth 3.25
Cardiff 4.00
Preston 4.00
Blackburn 4.33
MIllwall 4.50
Swansea 6.00
Bristol 6.0
Portsmouth 6.0
Derby 6.0
Watford 7.0
QPR 8.00
Sheff Wed 9.00
Hull City 10.00
Sunderland 10.00

At the moment I like Oxford, Blackburn and Plymouth for the drop. Sheffield Wednesday at 9s is very good value considering they haven't signed a ton of talent, struggled last season and lost loan players that were key in them staying up. I'd be concerned if I was a Portsmouth or Swansea fan too. 

Obviously a lot can change with players coming in, but I think we are at least in a position to be competitive with the majority of the above list.