Transfer rumours

Quick doff of the cap to the gaffer too. Forgot to mention him. Set the team up well, got his tactics spot on and adjusted quickly and meaningfully when his hand was forced by the injuries. Doesn't prove his Championship credentials fully, but it does answers some lingering questions. He and the coaches get a 9/10 from yours truly. More of the same please chaps! 

Just now, Eoghan1884 said:

Must say I do wonder what that Icelandic t*** Thordarsson is thinking now. At a managerless preston side who have lost 7 league games in a row without scoring and conceded 16 in that time. They also had a whopping 17,948 people at their opening game. Boggles my mind to why he chose Preston over us. 

Bigger wages probably. Money talks.

This is a total guess and I could be totally wrong but I wonder if Washington is out the door. No mention of any injury to him or a reason he was left out. Was on the bench on Tuesday and then Warne was talking about his strikers after the game and didn’t mention him. Be a bit weird that we had 4 defenders on the pitch and not have Washington on the bench unless he was leaving. Also wasn’t involved in the 21s which I’d imagine he would have been if he wasn’t going to be in the matchday squad. 

30 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

This is a total guess and I could be totally wrong but I wonder if Washington is out the door. No mention of any injury to him or a reason he was left out. Was on the bench on Tuesday and then Warne was talking about his strikers after the game and didn’t mention him. Be a bit weird that we had 4 defenders on the pitch and not have Washington on the bench unless he was leaving. Also wasn’t involved in the 21s which I’d imagine he would have been if he wasn’t going to be in the matchday squad. 

Is he fully fit? Know he had minutes in an academy match a couple of weeks ago. PW said in his RD post-match tgat he’d tried to get Dajuane on but think the injuries and our need to defend changed that. It does seem that Warne would prefer to keep DB and give him opportunities, at least until January, which would suggest Washington’s chances of regular football are fairly limited.

38 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

He has said some may go out the door still, he would certainly be a prime candidate. 

2 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

We currently have 22 players who need to be registered to play, but probably want to sign 4 or 5 more players. Just to add that 4th player, we need to move someone else out - Washington seemingly being the easiest to drop from the squad. The other option is to permanently sign someone who is 21 or younger.

The added value in Brown, is that he doesn't need to be registered... essentially giving us a 26 man squad.

Warne was asked about transfers after yesterday "Nothing at the moment. Just the usual we are going to keep him in the building for a bit.

"We are just down to loans and so you are at the mercy of the parent club. I seem to be at the mercy of everyone."

So it seems like loans only and the number 10 could potentially be ours but he’s not being released yet.

19 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Warne was asked about transfers after yesterday "Nothing at the moment. Just the usual we are going to keep him in the building for a bit.

"We are just down to loans and so you are at the mercy of the parent club. I seem to be at the mercy of everyone."

So it seems like loans only and the number 10 could potentially be ours but he’s not being released yet.

It’ll be a busy last day I reckon 

26 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I’m really disappointed that we are down to only looking at loans already, even if they are all successful, it doesn’t change the fact we are looking at another rebuild in 10 months time.

We have six players contracted beyond the next two years. Built on sand. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

I’m really disappointed that we are down to only looking at loans already, even if they are all successful, it doesn’t change the fact we are looking at another rebuild in 10 months time.

I made this point the other day. Only signed two permanent players 27 and under, and one of those is a goalkeeper. That ain’t sustainable. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Kenzo, JWZ, Nyambe, Ebou, CBT, Osborn, Vickers, Jackson, Brown, Elder, NML, Ward, Rooney, Robinson, Cashin 

are all players contracted to start the 25/26 season with us. 

I share your concern about not building long term for the future but - maybe in 12 months we have 1/2 more academy products stepping up to first team training, you assume Wilson, Thommo and Nelson might be offered extensions. 

That to me sees a slightly smaller rebuild needed next summer. And then if the summer after requires a smaller rebuild we eventually end up at a point where we are freshening up a core squad each transfer window rather than making wholesale changes. 

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Kenzo, JWZ, Nyambe, Ebou, CBT, Osborn, Vickers, Jackson, Brown, Elder, NML, Ward, Rooney, Robinson, Cashin 

are all players contracted to start the 25/26 season with us. 

I share your concern about not building long term for the future but - maybe in 12 months we have 1/2 more academy products stepping up to first team training, you assume Wilson, Thommo and Nelson might be offered extensions. 

That to me sees a slightly smaller rebuild needed next summer. And then if the summer after requires a smaller rebuild we eventually end up at a point where we are freshening up a core squad each transfer window rather than making wholesale changes. 

I could be wrong but it sounds suspiciously like a 5-year sustainable plan? Someone should let DC and PW know!

Edited by DiggerB

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

I made this point the other day. Only signed two permanent players 27 and under, and one of those is a goalkeeper. That ain’t sustainable. 

JWZ 

Wilson/Nyambe Rooney/Cashin

Tommo/Kenzo/Robinson

Brown

is what I imagine the long term core is planned to be. Add 2/3 players for the next 2 summers and it becomes a strong core of roughly 13-15 players with older heads and loans on top of it.

11 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think the club probably know this? In an ideal world we’d be spending money on lots of players between 22 and 26 that are good enough to be around the first team but with high ceilings to improve. However we clearly don’t have the finances frustratingly to facilitate that so instead the club have taken a slightly less satisfying route that they believe still helps them build a competitive squad. 

If we take this summer as a model: 

Players signed for good money in key positions before they hit their prime years in Kenzo and JWZ.

Proven championship quality and experience in Jackson and Osborn.

Younger players developed another year Wilson and Thommo (hopefully Brown and Robinson this season). 

Loans to bring in higher quality than we can afford to buy - it’s less satisfying but ultimately there’s always going to be a huge loan market as top clubs sweep up all the talent and need somewhere for them to develop. Key loan signings will be necessary for us every season. 

I suspect it will be another two in January, and similar next season if we stay up. 

Mix in emerging academy players and it will be a gradual build up of the squad.

We just haven't got the money to splash the cash all at once.

By comparison, Middlesbrough owed Gibson £150million before he recently wrote off over £100 million of that debt. The sums are mind-boggling, they still haven't been promoted! 

PW said he wanted 12 players at the start of the summer, not sure what people were really expecting?  £1m-£2m per player?  A £12m-£24m spend?  We've got some freebies, some loans (hopefully more) and spent a few quid on some players.  Do that over the course of a few seasons and we'll have a fully contracted Championship level squad.