Transfer rumours

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

We’ve got a striker who was League One POTS, and managed to score a decent amount of goals in a poor championship team in Yates. 

I don’t think we need another goalscorer, between Yates/NML/Blackett-Taylor/Barks/Jackson and Brown we have goalscorers. Collins might still be decent at this level. 

What we don’t have is a lump of a player up front who can act as the hold up player or the throw on at the end when we are throwing the ball into the box. This seems sensible and round peg for a round hole 

Yep.

47 minutes ago, Walkley Ram said:

There's no evidence that Wildsmith wanted to stay with us, even if we'd have chucked more at him. If he wanted to move on, fine, good for him. He seems to have landed on his feet.

Fine, but the point was I find it hard to believe we’re scrimping around on a striker when we’re dropping a significant fee on a keeper. No need to panic that we’re signing Michael Smith

5 minutes ago, Thameram said:

Shefki kuqi was a big lump but crucial to the way we played at that time 

Didn't Clough sign someone else and not Kuqi? (Who did indeed look decent)

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

There is no way (I hope) that we spend £1.4m on a keeper when we could’ve just chucked a few more quid at Wildsmith, and don’t have a decent chunk set aside for a striker

Why? Over the season a goalkeeper will have a greater impact on staying up. 

If we keep a clean sheet we only need 1 goal. 

Stansfield can come in and score every match but if we’re conceding two a game it means nothing. 

12 minutes ago, Thameram said:

Shefki kuqi was a big lump but crucial to the way we played at that time 

Was going to reply just to post the same. What if all it takes to turn NML, CBT, Barkhuizen, Dembele* into 7-10 goal a season attackers is some big unit who can hold the ball up and bring them into play? 

Kuqi made Commons, Bueno and Cwyka work beautifully whereas the better player Moore who Clough replaced him with didn’t have the same ability to raise the game of those behind him a 

So estimate of what we spent this summer so far including add ons etc 

Kenzo £ 700,000

Ebou  £ 900,000 

Ozho  £ 250,000 loan fee 

CBT  £ 300,000

Yates  £ 100,000 loan fee 

Osborn - no fee 

Jackson - no fee 

Total £ 2,250,000

TBC 

New Keeper and 2 strikers 

Don’t take this as anything more than rumour-mongering, and perhaps a resident ITK can prove me wrong, but is their not a bit of word going about that we are in for a foreign striker? And that that’s who Warne was having a zoom with?

Think there was mention of a danish forward on here a while back, too…

7 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Kenzo £ 700,000

Ebou  £ 900,000 

Ozho  £ 250,000 loan fee 

CBT  £ 300,000

Osborn - no fee 

Jackson - no fee 

Total £ 2,250,000

TBC 

Just a nonsense exercise. No fee? Sign on fees not count? CBT was a loan fee last season, not this summer. Ozoh and Yates loan fees seem completely random. Ebou was much less than that according to Dom Dietrich. 

8 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Kenzo £ 700,000

Ebou  £ 900,000 

Ozho  £ 250,000 loan fee 

CBT  £ 300,000

Osborn - no fee 

Jackson - no fee 

Total £ 2,250,000

TBC 

Out of curiosity, where have you seen those loan fee figures?

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just a nonsense exercise. No fee? Sign on fees not count? CBT was a loan fee last season, not this summer. Ozoh and Yates loan fees seem completely random. Ebou was much less than that according to Dom Dietrich. 

As is the danger of purely using headline figures.

Smith could be an equivalent of CKR. Not hugely anticipated but a 'grower' with the fans.

I'm hoping we get some fancy-dan foreign striker, but if Smith is what we can afford and fits into how we use all our wingers more effectively then I'm happy to see before I lose my **** over it.

Edited by Chester40

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Why? Over the season a goalkeeper will have a greater impact on staying up. 

If we keep a clean sheet we only need 1 goal. 

Stansfield can come in and score every match but if we’re conceding two a game it means nothing. 

I wasn’t being critical but I don’t think a, for example, good keeper (£1.5m) vs an above average keeper (free ish) moves the needle more than an above average striker (£2m ish) vs a crap one (£500k ish). I’ve never seen Zetterstrom but signing a keeper for £1.5m in the championship suggests you’ve a decent budget. I whole heartedly disagree that having a good keeper improves a team more.

Obviously a very simplified example with all sorts of exceptions but if we go into this season without having signed another decent number 9 we’ll be in more trouble than if we just had a half decent keeper vs hopefully a very good one. 

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

Dom was quoting the upfront fee at about £ 400k . Loan fees will be due to Palace and Swansea - so still think we spent £ 2 million although up front it might be £ 1.5m.

8 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I wasn’t being critical but I don’t think a, for example, good keeper (£1.5m) vs an above average keeper (free ish) moves the needle more than an above average striker (£2m ish) vs a crap one (£500k ish). I’ve never seen Zetterstrom but signing a keeper for £1.5m in the championship suggests you’ve a decent budget. I whole heartedly disagree that having a good keeper improves a team more.

Obviously a very simplified example with all sorts of exceptions but if we go into this season without having signed another decent number 9 we’ll be in more trouble than if we just had a half decent keeper vs hopefully a very good one. 

I get your point mate, but the difference between a good keeper and an average keeper is 10 points a season. It is a massive position that we need to get right.

£1.4 million is the rumoured amount, which I imagine will be everything including the add ons. The initial outlay I imagine will be a bit less, but I will wait to see what it is when we sign him.

I have not seen a keeper move on a free transfer that I would have had at Derby as number 1.

We know what we are doing, we are being ran the right way. There is a month of the window left yet. Nothing to say we won't spend the same, if not slightly more on a striker. 

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I get your point mate, but the difference between a good keeper and an average keeper is 10 points a season. It is a massive position that we need to get right.

£1.4 million is the rumoured amount, which I imagine will be everything including the add ons. The initial outlay I imagine will be a bit less, but I will wait to see what it is when we sign him.

I have not seen a keeper move on a free transfer that I would have had at Derby as number 1.

We know what we are doing, we are being ran the right way. There is a month of the window left yet. Nothing to say we won't spend the same, if not slightly more on a striker. 

Your last paragraph is what I mean, really, and started off saying. Not moaning or worried we have spent a fee on a keeper in any way, just saying the fact we have or looks likely we will do, means we probably will not be scrimping around on a striker. 

18 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Smith could be an equivalent of CKR. Not hugely anticipated but a 'grower' with the fans.

I'm hoping we get some fancy-dan foreign striker, but if Smith is what we can afford and fits into how we use all our wingers more effectively then I'm happy to see before I lose my **** over it.

Yes, CKR is a good comparison 👍

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Your last paragraph is what I mean, really, and started off saying. Not moaning or worried we have spent a fee on a keeper in any way, just saying the fact we have or looks likely we will do, means we probably will not be scrimping around on a striker. 

Keepers mostly cost lots less than strikers, so I agree that questioning how we allocate our budget seems a reasonable thing (or not depending on what you feel about 'questioning' 😄 ).

I’d be happy with:

•The Swedish goalkeeper 

•Dembele W- Brest - sign 

• Mcatee- Barnsley sign CAM

• CB on loan maybe the Dutch one from Wolves who was at Plymouth 

• CF - some id like 

- league 1

• cole

• Reid 

championship 

• smith 

• ugbo

• Cullen 

SPL 

• miovski 

• Bair 

Abroad 

• Lauritsen - Sparta 

• Steijn- twente

• Andri Gudjohnsen - Gent 

• VEGARD ØSTRAATERLIEN - Tromso 

Prem 2 

Will Lankshear- Tottenham 

Callum Marshall - West Ham 

Ronnie Stutter - Chelsea 

33 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

More to the point, very much suspect that if we ever get to the £1.4 mill fee he’s seen as an investment. 

Wildsmith seemed to have not had many suitors and has gone to a mid championship team to compete for the jersey. The best keeper in league one in worth peanuts it seems. 

Zetterstrom however is an international keeper (perhaps someone with more knowledge of Swedish international-likely to become their number one if established in England?), young age and has the ideal biometrics of a modern international keeper due to his height and build. £1.4 mill might seem a lot but if he reaches that level of fee he’s probably worth 5/10 times that to a a European team or a top end prem team. 

1.4 mill is unlikely to buy you a striker in this league who would then go on to be worth 5/10 times the amount unless you find a gem of a player and as we’ve seen even league one is selling for as much if not more than this. 

The most successful clubs are the ones who find players to sell for profit, I’d love to get promoted back to the prem, but instead of being like Burnley/Leeds etc, I love us to be able to go up with players that will make us money and allows the club to grow-Villa/Brighton/Brentford style